The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-12-2019, 01:21 PM

Default Seagull Artist?

Does anyone know how to identify a Seagull Artist model acoustic, or a Seagull custom-made guitar? Many Artist models are marked as such on the headstock. But are they all? And what about the inside label?

Last edited by Mr Bojangles; 01-12-2019 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojangles View Post
Does anyone know how to identify a Seagull Artist model acoustic, or a Seagull custom-made guitar? Many Artist models are marked as such on the truss rod cover. But are they all? And what about the inside label?
For the last ~20 years all Seagull Artist series guitars have had the "spread wing" seagull inlay on the fret board at the 12th fret. None of the guitars in the other series of the Seagull lineup have this seagull inlay.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:48 PM

Thanks Bill, I have been looking at a used Seagull that the owner claims to be an Artist model. It does have the "spread-wing" seagull inlay at the 12th fret, but no Artist marking at the headstock, and no model designation on the inside label.

Last edited by Mr Bojangles; 01-12-2019 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:40 PM

The names of the Artist Series models changed some time back around mid 2000's ?? I think. They were once named by the wood combinations used. I have one made in 2000 and the model name is Artist Series Rosewood/Cedar. They later became Portrait, Mosaic, Studio, etc. (which are names for the different wood combinations). And they stopped making the cedar top with rosewood back and sides Artist Series model. At some point they began the "Artist" script on the headstock but earlier ones (like mine) don't have that. It's not on a truss rod cover. There is no truss rod cover there. The truss rod is adjusted from inside the sound hole. They do have a mother of pearl type seagull inlay on the headstock as opposed to the white seagull in a white circle as on other Seagull models. Mine has two paper labels inside. One is a Seagull label and there is another round label with Artist Series Rosewood Cedar on it.
If the guitar you are looking at has the seagull inlay at the 12th fret I feel sure it is an Artist Series model.
What are the wood combinations and what is the model name the owner uses for it?
Old 01-12-2019, 04:12 PM

Thanks again Bill. My error regarding the truss rod cover. I'll have to have another look at the guitar. It does have the 12th fret inlayed seagull and a MOP headstock gull inlay. I'll have to check for the fret marker dots on the fretboard that the Artist models all seem to have. The owner bought it used, and claims that it is a one of a kind according to the company. The inside label model designation is "Trans Black". The finish is stunning, indeed a transparent black with a muted polish on the back of the neck. It has gold tuners, but no original case. I don't know that much about the Artist Seagulls, but this guitar is different from any Seagull that I have seen before.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:52 PM

You are welcome. I haven't heard of any trans black in the Artist Series models. I think there were some trans black finishes in the S6 series. So, this guitar may be something unique. Let me know if you get more info or photos. I'm just interested out of curiosity.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:26 PM

Well, I took a chance and bought the guitar today. I do believe it's an Artist model, but I've never seen one quite like it. I was unsuccessful at posting photos, so I'm sending them to you in an email.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:46 PM

I saw the photos in your email. That's definitely an Artist Series. It has the spread wing seagull at the 12th fret, the MOP seagull inlay at the top of the headstock, and the white plastic tuner buttons. That smokey black finish looks cool. What are the wood combinations?
If you install the tapatalk app it's very easy to post pictures on here from your phone. Even I did it...
Thanks for sending the email with photos. Let me know what you hear back from Seagull.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:35 AM

I have no idea what wood the guitar is made from, and the previous seller doesn't either. There is no indication on the label, and no paperwork with the guitar. With the black finish, I really can't tell. Looking at the back through the soundhole, I'd have to guess maple. I gave her a workout with a group of friends (banjos included) the other day for a few hours, and it is a loud guitar! And I'll give the photo posting another try. Apparently Seagull doesn't publish a phone number, and I'm still waiting for them to respond to my email.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:26 PM

Here are the photos from your email. The picture files were too large to post so I did a screen shot of each and posted from that and they posted. I hope the resolution is ok. I think your guitar looks great and I'm happy that it sounds fantastic. Let me know if you hear any details from Seagull.
Congratulations!

Last edited by 12barBill; 01-15-2019 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:31 PM

...reattaching photos

Last edited by 12barBill; 01-15-2019 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Photo issues
Old 01-15-2019, 05:43 PM

Let's try this
Old 01-15-2019, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

The neck reminds me of the Seagull Performer I once owned.

https://imgur.com/a/fnBomtK
Old 01-15-2019, 06:50 PM

What a great find. I've never seen anything from Seagull remotely like it. I does look like it might be a flamed maple back. Let us know more about the sound - I'm really intrigued by it.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 01-15-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrgguitarman View Post
The neck reminds me of the Seagull Performer I once owned.

https://imgur.com/a/fnBomtK
Ruben, that guitar looks like an Artist Series Cameo model (maple back and sides).
The Seagull Performer series guitars do not have those appointments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion