The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-27-2020, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

Default Journey Black Friday Sale

FYI Journey Instruments is having a Black Friday sale. It started today and ends the 30th. Sale items are 20-40% off.

https://journeyinstruments.com/

Bstock and discontinued models are on sale, both carbon and wood, folding and non-folding, guitars and ukes. Most if not all come standard with a UST pickup.

I like my Overhead 660, especially since I put DR Sunbeams on it.

Their First Class Folding Spruce/Sapele looks interesting so I ordered one today.
Old 11-29-2020, 01:27 AM

That website is a royal mess.

Discounts on B-stock items, but no link to them, and terrible search functionality.

I'm sure the wife would like a blem/B-stock nylon CF if I could find one.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 11-29-2020, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
That website is a royal mess.

Discounts on B-stock items, but no link to them, and terrible search functionality.

I'm sure the wife would like a blem/B-stock nylon CF if I could find one.
I totally agree with you! I was on there the other day and the usual icons for their social media links were not visible at the upper right of their home screen I was able to click around that area and go to their facebook page but something is up for sure. Apart from the navigation issues I think it can be sharpened overall from an aesthetic POV because that website does not represent the quality of their instruments in any way.

They do have one of the carbon nylon models on Reverb with free shipping (%20 markdown due to B-stock) and Journey Instruments is the retailer.

https://reverb.com/item/33513693-jou...-travel-guitar
Old 11-29-2020, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I totally agree with you! I was on there the other day and the usual icons for their social media links were not visible at the upper right of their home screen I was able to click around that area and go to their facebook page but something is up for sure. Apart from the navigation issues I think it can be sharpened overall from an aesthetic POV because that website does not represent the quality of their instruments in any way.
Good to know it's not just me - I was on their site about a month ago and didn't remember it being such a mess.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

I just went on for giggles and I was able to navigate all the way to checkout with no problems including applying coupon codes for a significant savings. I didn't actually buy anything, just wanted to see if it would work. Granted, I only tried it on one guitar - the Road Trip CF model - but it did work. Of course being a B-stock item it should already be at least 30% off so not really any real savings. I bought a B-stock OF660 of Ted at LA Guitars a few years back and got 20% off that then.
Old 11-29-2020, 02:05 PM

I just stopped in today at a music store with a blue and a black satin finish Journey OF660 on the wall (2 Journeys). Same store I had visited 3 years ago. Back then, I found some quality issues in comparison to the OF660 I own, and was a bit sad to see them at the time.

Fast forward to today, three years later, and I can say that the two I saw were consistent with each other and very impressive! Fretwork looked good, felt good, and the fit and finish all over looked fine. My confidence is back!

I had really hoped they might also have at least one nylon in stock as I wanted to see one hands on, but I was told it would be a 3-4 month wait if I wanted to order one. I won't be in this area (Hong Kong) that long and am not totally decided yet, so declined. It's possible there is stock in the USA, but I don't know.

I'm not sure if I am ready to order anything "right now", but today's visit alleviated any past misgivings I had. It was a very good day.

BTW, the small "droplet" surface of the underside of the soundboard (someone once posted a photo) seems to be a consistent feature and intentional. Both of these felt the same inside.

I'm only guessing but maybe, since CF doesn't really need bracing, the soundboard design feature is there to alter the tone favorably. Bracing does this for wood guitars but since bracing isn't needed with the Journey, maybe this is another route to getting the tone they want most from these guitars--but just done in a different manner? (This is just my speculation.)

My original model OF660 is just smooth under the soundboard--but Journey has been gradually changing and improving the design in a number of ways since the time mine was purchased years ago.
Old 11-29-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post

BTW, the small "droplet" surface of the underside of the soundboard (someone once posted a photo) seems to be a consistent feature and intentional. Both of these felt the same inside...

My original model OF660 is just smooth under the soundboard--but Journey has been gradually changing and improving the design in a number of ways since the time mine was purchased years ago.
It was me that posted the picture of the underside of the top on the latest version of the OF660. Those stalactite formations can only be there to enhance tone. I won't pretend to understand how, but I'm very pleased with my OF660 (later model with the soundhole placed closer to the edge of the upper bout). I have Santa Cruz Mid Tensions on it now which are nearing 3 months old and it sounds really good!
Old 11-29-2020, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

I agree with steelvibe that the current OF 660 sounds very good. Mine got a couple of hours of playtime on Thanksgiving. For me DR Sunbeams balance the bass and treble strings nicely, a problem I had with other string choices. I haven’t tried any of the Santa Cruz strings on mine yet.

I also agree that the current website is difficult to order from. It was easier to use in the past.

On the other hand, I have had good responses to emails send to Journey, getting reply's from both of Journey’s founders at different times. They make some great guitars and seem to care about their customers.
Old 11-29-2020, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Cone View Post
I agree with steelvibe that the current OF 660 sounds very good. Mine got a couple of hours of playtime on Thanksgiving. For me DR Sunbeams balance the bass and treble strings nicely, a problem I had with other string choices. I haven’t tried any of the Santa Cruz strings on mine yet.

I also agree that the current website is difficult to order from. It was easier to use in the past.

On the other hand, I have had good responses to emails send to Journey, getting reply's from both of Journey’s founders at different times. They make some great guitars and seem to care about their customers.
My top 3 after trying a bunch over the last couple years;

Santa Cruz Mid Tension
DR Sunbeams (medium)
D'addario XTPA1253
Old 12-01-2020, 11:26 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the string suggestions. I will give them a try.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber