The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-23-2020, 10:45 AM

Default Dazzo Wood Pickup

The Dazzo website mentions and has a pic of some wood pickups.

Quote:
OUR EXOTIC WOOD PICKUPS are cool but they are not always recommended - because regular black DAZZO’S are so accurate whereas the woods might bring almost too much wood into the picture .
My jumbo carbon fiber X30 doesn't have any electronics in it. I'm tempted to try these Dazzo Woodies dual sourced with an internal mic of some flavor. I prefer to have external power.

I haven't contacted Dazzo yet, just trying to do some due diligence.

Have any of you tried the Dazzo Woodies?
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 11-23-2020, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Call Teddy Randazzo. He is friends with the Emerald guys and knows the guitars.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 11-23-2020, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
The Dazzo website mentions and has a pic of some wood pickups.

My jumbo carbon fiber X30 doesn't have any electronics in it. I'm tempted to try these Dazzo Woodies dual sourced with an internal mic of some flavor. I prefer to have external power.

I haven't contacted Dazzo yet, just trying to do some due diligence.

Have any of you tried the Dazzo Woodies?
I have them in my Martin. One is Sassafras and the other is Cocobolo. Teddy made the decision on what to install after trying various versions. If I recall he told me the wood ones weren't necessarily "better", as exotic as it sounds, just a different flavor, and in my guitar, these are what he liked. I'd talk to Teddy about what would be the best match for that guitar, since it's a bit different.

Here's a sound sample of my wood Dazzos, along with an internal mic, powered and blended by the Sunnaudio MS-2.

Old 11-23-2020, 04:14 PM

Btw what is the material of the non exotic wood ones?

Is it still wood? Or some kind of plastic like the HFN and Amulet?
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 11-23-2020, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Btw what is the material of the non exotic wood ones?

Is it still wood? Or some kind of plastic like the HFN and Amulet?
Plastic of some kind.
Old 11-23-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I have them in my Martin. One is Sassafras and the other is Cocobolo. Teddy made the decision on what to install after trying various versions. If I recall he told me the wood ones weren't necessarily "better", as exotic as it sounds, just a different flavor, and in my guitar, these are what he liked. I'd talk to Teddy about what would be the best match for that guitar, since it's a bit different.

Here's a sound sample of my wood Dazzos, along with an internal mic, powered and blended by the Sunnaudio MS-2.

Rarely on this forum when someone posts clips of their new pickup install, do they do a solid strum, but that's what you did here, and it sounds great. One of the best I've heard.
Old 11-23-2020, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Sounds Great, Doug!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 11-23-2020, 05:46 PM

How are the Dazzos different than the Trance Amulets, or are they pretty similar? I know they come in different sizes for different bass response, but it seems he recommends one size for most guitars.

My Gibson Southern Jumbo came with Trance Amulets in it. I had never heard of them. I bought the guitar for its acoustic tone. I didn't even plug it in at the shop, thinking I would just replace whatever was in there if I didn't like it. I was in for a pleasant surprise when I got home and plugged it in.
Old 11-23-2020, 05:51 PM

double posted somehow.
Old 11-23-2020, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco gringo View Post
How are the Dazzos different than the Trance Amulets, or are they pretty similar? I know they come in different sizes for different bass response, but it seems he recommends one size for most guitars.
Trance has been around for ages, and is very similar to the famous FRAP that Neil Young, Michael Hedges, and others have used. It's a pair of small rectangular SBTs that go under the bridge. Teddy worked for a while with Arnie Lazaurus, the inventor of the FRAP. The Dazzo's are Teddy's design, surely drawing on his years of experience, but taking his own approach, and developing the SBT idea in his own search for good sound. His pickups are small triangular SBTs that go under the bridge. They are much hotter than the Trance, and can be used passively.

So Trance, Dazzo, FRAP, K&K, Schatten, etc, are all "similar" in that they're Sound Board Transducers, but at the same time, each one has a different internal design and sound somewhat different. Teddy's are rather unique in that he has lots of models with varying bass response, so he can to some extent tune the pickup to the guitar.
Old 11-23-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
So Trance, Dazzo, FRAP, K&K, Schatten, etc, are all "similar" in that they're Sound Board Transducers, but at the same time, each one has a different internal design and sound somewhat different. Teddy's are rather unique in that he has lots of models with varying bass response, so he can to some extent tune the pickup to the guitar.
I have had K & K s in two guitars. I don't own any guitars with them currently. I can't see me replacing the Trance Amulets in my Southern Jumbo. I may need to try the Dazzo's in one of my pickupless guitars. They are dreds, more flatpicking kind of guitars. I may call Teddy and see what he recommends for them.

Last edited by loco gringo; 11-23-2020 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-24-2020, 02:00 PM

This summer, Teddy installed Dazzos made from Cherry wood in my Martin D-18 Modern Deluxe with the Carbon Fiber bridge plate. He seemed to think that the wood pickups help with the carbon fiber instruments. Well, out of all of my installs on my various instruments, this one is the best sounding. I don't know if it was a result of Teddy's install or of the cherry wood pickups. All I know is that it just sounds amazing.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 11-24-2020, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Red face

I don't think any of my six Dazzo equipped guitars have the same pickup. Three are dreads. My Guild D 35, the most balanced of the dreads, got 70s. I think my 65 Texan got a 70 on the treble side and a 60 on the bass. My Martin D 35 got 50s, the very first 50s set he used. Acoustically, it doesn't sound that bassy, but with the pickups it did. It is the beauty of the concept of a frequency response to match the guitar. In the one size fits all pickups is where you need the four band EQ pre amps to compensate.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Fluke tenor ukulele

Old 11-25-2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
My Guild D 35, the most balanced of the dreads, got 70s. I think my 65 Texan got a 70 on the treble side and a 60 on the bass. My Martin D 35 got 50s, the very first 50s set he used. Acoustically, it doesn't sound that bassy, but with the pickups it did.
That's interesting. I thought the higher the number the more bass with a 70 being neutral. I love the unplugged balance of my fan fret X30 and certainly don't want to subdue the bass.
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 11-25-2020, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

You are correct. My parlors have 100s and 90s in them to hype the bass frequencies. They would be bass deficient with 70s. Higher number has more bass, lower less. I saw an Emerald harp guitar Teddy put a custom forty under the bass strings.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Fluke tenor ukulele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification