The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-22-2019, 05:57 PM

Default at home amp

Hi i'm looking for an "at home" TUBE amp. i had the super champ but it just wasn't me. $500/ or so . something i can play nice and clean with my Tele, Don't like these modeling amps. just keep it simple. maybe i'll add a delay pedal for some slapback.thanks.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:28 PM

Default At-home amp

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...tube-combo-amp

I have one (as well as the big brother V22) and IME it's the best $200 (less - often far less - on Coupon/Holiday Sale Days) you'll ever spend if you've got a single-coil/mini-bucker guitar - has that Class-A "sweet dark-chocolate" tone associated with the early-50's tweed Fenders and pre-Top Boost Vox AC combos, digi-verb is as good as it gets for a built-in, and it's easy to customize the tone/headroom to your specs with some carefully chosen tubes. A lot going on for essentially chump change, and if you're a guitar-cable-amp kinda guy doing studio work and coffeehouse/small-venue gigs it may be all the amp you'll ever need...
Old 05-23-2019, 12:18 AM

There's many ways to go for a a home amp. Some feel that a Twin is just right. I'm happier with a much smaller amp: 1 watt is quite enough. Mine is a Marshall DSL1 combo. If I want to keep volume down, I plug a tube preamp into some computer speakers.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-23-2019, 04:14 AM

The 4 at home odd ball amps, all of these were waay under your budget and even with some bench time. Also a stable of spkrs ranging from 4-12"...btw spkr size and efficiency is a critical factor in helping to deal with at home volume issues. All of these odd and humble amps are surprisingly great...fun to take to jams and watch jaws drop and the drooling begin.

1950's Single ended 6L6 recordplayer with mic circuit and spkr in the lid (conversion...like a tweed Princeton on steroids...slight voice mod and caps by Skip Simmons).

1960's Single ended el84 recordplayer with mic circuit and spkr in the lid...found for $25; just needed a small diy patch to a very small tear to the cone. It blows away any Blues Jr/Pro.

1949 pp6V6 monoblock hifi...plug in the pedal board right into the octal PI...great pedal board platform...and can run at whisper/tv level/bedroom volumes...or NOT.

Most recently, a MuchXS 57 champ clone (5f1) scored off CL
Old 05-23-2019, 07:54 AM

Default +1 with Steve

I bought the Bugera V5 for small gigs and couldn't be happier with it.

It doen't have a whole lot of clean headroom though, so it depends on how much clean volume you need. I play Classic Rock and Blues mostly so clean headroom isn't something I need often.

If you like SUPER clean the Vox MV50 Clean head and cab are worth looking at it is a Hybrid amp though.

A Pro Jr. would give you plenty of volume and clean headroom at home levels.

You should at least test drive the little Bugera. It's a well built little tank of an amp.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 05-23-2019, 08:38 AM

If you have not tried a Fender Blues Jr. may be you should look in that direction.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:20 AM

Blues Jr. or a Pro Jr. would be good choices. I have a Super Champ XD that I record with and replaced the 12AX7 with a 12AT7 which gave me a lot more range with the volume knob. The Super Champ XD is hybrid though.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:34 PM

I guess it depends on what you mean by 'at home?' If you want to be quiet then getting an amp with a headphone jack is a good idea. Also having one that has a switch with options to lower the wattage too.

A couple of amps taht come to mind for reasonable lower volume home use as well as having the abilty to go on stage with are the Vox AC15 or Blues Junior. Both are 15 watt combo's. Another consideration is the Peavey classic line. The classic 20 and 30 are really solid amps with great tube tone.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
Hi i'm looking for an "at home" TUBE amp. i had the super champ but it just wasn't me. $500/ or so . something i can play nice and clean with my Tele, Don't like these modeling amps. just keep it simple. maybe i'll add a delay pedal for some slapback.thanks.
How big's your home, and do you like your neighbors?

I just bought one of these and the matching 8' cab for the bedroom. I thought it was a 'cute' toy but now I'm starting to regret it. IT'S VERY LOUD!

10 watts, 1 tube and weighs 2lbs. No reverb, no effects loop. Simple!

Oh yeah, did I mention it's loud.
Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 05-23-2019, 01:41 PM

I sure do like my Fender Bassbreaker 15. Sounds fabulous with a Tele. My neighbors would agree I could easily have gotten by with the 7 watt version at home. The built-in three gain stages all sound good. Very good digital reverb as well. I paid around $425 for a used one. I think it would be great for someone who doesn’t have pedals for distortion but wants a bit of break up. The bright switch is a great feature as well. I would agree you cannot go wrong with the Blues Jr.

Gretsch 6228FM
Fender Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 05-23-2019, 03:43 PM

these are good suggestions . i do want tubes . don't like these digital amps with too many knobs! that Bugera V5 looks interesting. didn't get too many good write ups , but i take that with a grain of salt. i like something very clean with REVERB and i'll use a digital delay for mostly home and coffee shop use.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:22 PM

Get a blackface Vibro Champ off reverb and be done with it. I have a 65 original, only changed caps and plug. Perfect bedroom amp.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
these are good suggestions . i do want tubes . don't like these digital amps with too many knobs! that Bugera V5 looks interesting. didn't get too many good write ups , but i take that with a grain of salt. i like something very clean with REVERB and i'll use a digital delay for mostly home and coffee shop use.
I have a Bugera V5 Infinium, too. Great little amp at a low price. Check the dates on the reviews, and you'll see that most of the negative ones are for older models. The reverb is very good, and with the switch at 5 watts it puts out a surprising amount of sound. For playing at home, the .1 and 1 watt settings are just fine.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 05-23-2019, 09:41 PM

Blues Junior!
Old 05-23-2019, 10:35 PM
Charter Member

My favorite, by far, is the Princeton Reverb, but I also like the Vox AC10.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars