The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-20-2018, 04:17 AM

Default The Story of a Tom Sands Signature Guitar

Hi folks, I've been thoroughly enjoying trawling through this forum and now am excited to present a thread of my very own...

The Story of a Tom Sands Signature Guitar
Part One: "How I met Your Luthier"

I've been fortunate enough to build a very dear friendship with Tom over the past year, shortly after he returned from his apprenticeship with Ervin Somogyi.

Tom and I discovered each other on Instagram (very 21st century). A fair few phone calls later, many emails, multiple recording sessions, visits to Tom's workshop, new guitar designs, performances at The Holy Grail Guitar Show in Berlin, a few too many drams of whisky, and we find ourselves here - collaborating on our first ever signature guitar. What an honour it is, and it's certainly true to say Tom's guitars are not just some of the finest I've ever played, but his Model S is the most "me" I've ever come across. I couldn't stop playing it. So I'll be sharing the story of this very special collaboration over the coming weeks. As I've spent so much time with Tom, playing his guitars and reacting to all the different options, he's in the unique position of knowing my playing and composition style inside out. The perfect partnership for a signature instrument.

So, what's a Model S? Well, it's a gorgeous little thing. Here's the first one Tom made, and the body shape and size my signature guitar will be based upon:

Mine will having a Redwood top and Black Limba back & sides, as you can see from the previous pictures above.

And there's us posing at the Holy Grail Guitar Show in Berlin earlier this year. (Tom Sands on the left and me, Will McNicol, on the right)

So, do stay tuned for more updates and details over the coming weeks, I'm really looking forward to sharing this build with you all, and look forward to hearing from some of you!

W

You may check out Tom's work http://www.tomsandsguitars.com

Last edited by Basalt Beach; 07-20-2018 at 08:13 AM. Reason: edit content
Old 07-20-2018, 04:33 AM
Charter Member

Glad to see this pop up on the feed this morning - can’t wait to hear how the guitar sounds in your hands! Tom’s guitars seem exceptionally responsive.

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 07-20-2018, 06:42 AM

That's some good looking wood there - I'm looking forward to following this one. Congratulations!
Old 07-20-2018, 07:31 AM

That's gorgeous wood! Thanks for letting us follow along- and welcome to the forum!

beth
Old 07-20-2018, 11:31 AM

Thanks Dustin, Beth and SJ - much appreciated. Still getting to know the ins and outs on how best to post on the forum but I'll get there! Appreciate the support and I'm looking forward to sharing it all with you =)
Old 07-20-2018, 12:42 PM

Tom's model S is gorgeous, you gonna have a beautiful guitar! Can't wait to see it!
2021 Buendia OMF Swiss Moon/BRW
2022 Isaac Jang OM
2023 Kraut OO
Old 07-21-2018, 02:31 AM

Nice to see you on here Will and congratulations on what already looks like a great instrument!
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:55 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Looks like a beauty in the making. Thanks for sharing. I look forward to following along.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Hello Will, and welcome! I am embarrassed to admit I was unaware of you and your guitar skills. I've been catching some videos, and it has been a real pleasure listening. You are engaging when speaking as well, and the combination of personality and talent makes for a wonderful entertainer. The guitar looks lovely, the shape is different and distinctive, this should be enormous fun to watch come together and then listen to you play.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 07-23-2018, 07:51 AM

Thanks Howard, I'm excited for this one. Hope all's well with you! Don't suppose you're popping along to the Vancouver show next month are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard F. View Post
Tom's model S is gorgeous, you gonna have a beautiful guitar! Can't wait to see it!
Old 07-23-2018, 07:52 AM

Thank you Michael, and lovely to see you here too! Still getting to grips with the forum but getting there and excited to share the rest of this one with everyone. Marvellous seeing you at the shindig t'other day as well =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Watts View Post
Nice to see you on here Will and congratulations on what already looks like a great instrument!
Old 07-23-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will McNicol View Post
Thanks Howard, I'm excited for this one. Hope all's well with you! Don't suppose you're popping along to the Vancouver show next month are you?
It’s an exciting project indeed, keep us posting! Unfortunately I won’t be in Vancouver show but I’ll go to Woodstock
2021 Buendia OMF Swiss Moon/BRW
2022 Isaac Jang OM
2023 Kraut OO
Old 07-23-2018, 10:06 AM

Hi Will - Very nice to meet you, albeit briefly, at Ian's this last weekend and delighted that you were able to play my Sands (and many others) again.

I came away from that gathering convinced about one thing: I am of the mind that Mr. Sands is currently building the best instruments of this type anywhere, and that includes those by The Man Himself. Of those that I have played, I prefer Tom's tone overall (and defintely his price!).

I would say that, wouldn't I, but that's what I think, so there. Often I go to these shindigs and come away with GAS for something or other. This time I came home so very pleased that I have the guitar I have with zero GAS for anything else (quite the opposite in fact).

A couple of people I trust (other than you) have played Tom's first model S and have raved about it. I'm not in the market for another steel-string but I will be very, very interested to try one when I am able. In the meantime, I am having one built - vicariously! - via your thread.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 07-24-2018, 03:52 AM

Hi Steve,

Likewise! so good to meet you briefly and play that gorgeous Sands of yours again - thank you.I certainly share your sentiments about his work. So much is subjective of course, but for me the response I get from Tom's smaller bodied instruments is precisely what fits with my style. And, hence, the Model S did not disappoint!

Hope to see you again soon, and I'm excited to share this build with you =)

W

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Hi Will - Very nice to meet you, albeit briefly, at Ian's this last weekend and delighted that you were able to play my Sands (and many others) again.

I came away from that gathering convinced about one thing: I am of the mind that Mr. Sands is currently building the best instruments of this type anywhere, and that includes those by The Man Himself. Of those that I have played, I prefer Tom's tone overall (and defintely his price!).

I would say that, wouldn't I, but that's what I think, so there. Often I go to these shindigs and come away with GAS for something or other. This time I came home so very pleased that I have the guitar I have with zero GAS for anything else (quite the opposite in fact).

A couple of people I trust (other than you) have played Tom's first model S and have raved about it. I'm not in the market for another steel-string but I will be very, very interested to try one when I am able. In the meantime, I am having one built - vicariously! - via your thread.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 07-24-2018, 03:53 AM

Hi Mike, thanks for the kind words and please don't be embarrassed! Plenty guitarists around =P

Really glad you've enjoyed what you've found off mine thus far, and looking forward to sharing the rest of this build =)

W

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Hello Will, and welcome! I am embarrassed to admit I was unaware of you and your guitar skills. I've been catching some videos, and it has been a real pleasure listening. You are engaging when speaking as well, and the combination of personality and talent makes for a wonderful entertainer. The guitar looks lovely, the shape is different and distinctive, this should be enormous fun to watch come together and then listen to you play.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop