The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-30-2018, 11:49 AM

Default behringer xm8500 as a pair to a SM58?

I am experimenting with recording via mic but only have a single SM58. It's a great mic, I've had it for years. But, I don't want to sink too much into a second mic for a stereo sound. I record into a Fostex MR-8 so I don't have the option for anything phantom powered right now.

So I've done some searching for a cheap SM58 knockoff and stumbled upon reviews for the behringer xm8500. Supposedly, it's a 25 dollarish SM58 competitor with what seems to be a decent reputation. I've watched a few comparison vids and it seems to be similar sound/volume wise.

So my question is this: Does anyone here have any experience with the xm8500? Is it really what reviews say? 'almost the same mic with less durable build quality'?
Old 03-30-2018, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambi View Post
I am experimenting with recording via mic but only have a single SM58. It's a great mic, I've had it for years. But, I don't want to sink too much into a second mic for a stereo sound. I record into a Fostex MR-8 so I don't have the option for anything phantom powered right now.

So I've done some searching for a cheap SM58 knockoff and stumbled upon reviews for the behringer xm8500. Supposedly, it's a 25 dollarish SM58 competitor with what seems to be a decent reputation. I've watched a few comparison vids and it seems to be similar sound/volume wise.

So my question is this: Does anyone here have any experience with the xm8500? Is it really what reviews say? 'almost the same mic with less durable build quality'?
HI Jambi

We have used them interchangeably for years. The SM-58 will have a bit more low-midrange bass bump, the that can be added back in on the XM8500 easily.

The way we discovered the similarity was we used SM-58 for our singers (PA use) and had an XM-8500 on the board as a talk-back mic for the sound techs. One night as we were putting away gear after the gig, we discovered someone had accidentally put the XM-8500 on our main singer and the SM-58 on the board, and nobody knew the difference.

So while we had the PA up and running we experimented for a few minutes with both and promptly ordered half-dozen of the XM-8500 for future use (we had no idea if the $20 price was going to go away or not). They have never let us down for vocal use.

They still cost $20 (March 2018) on Amazon with free shipping. They are seemingly as durable (based on every thing we've put them through on the road over the years).

We have not purchased an SM-58 since and we have over 15 years of regular use of them.

I have had people try to make me skeptical only to be amazed when we hook them up to PA systems. I always advise them if their pride and loyalty to Shure demand it, pay the extra bucks…if not the Behringer XM8500 stands out from the rest of the $20 microphones I've played with.

I suggest you order one and try it.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-30-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
HI Jambi

We have used them interchangeably for years. The SM-58 will have a bit more low-midrange bass bump, the that can be added back in on the XM8500 easily.

The way we discovered the similarity was we used SM-58 for our singers (PA use) and had an XM-8500 on the board as a talk-back mic for the sound techs. One night as we were putting away gear after the gig, we discovered someone had accidentally put the XM-8500 on our main singer and the SM-58 on the board, and nobody knew the difference.

So while we had the PA up and running we experimented for a few minutes with both and promptly ordered half-dozen of the XM-8500 for future use (we had no idea if the $20 price was going to go away or not). They have never let us down for vocal use.

They still cost $20 (March 2018) on Amazon with free shipping. They are seemingly as durable (based on every thing we've put them through on the road over the years).

We have not purchased an SM-58 since and we have over 15 years of regular use of them.

I have had people try to make me skeptical only to be amazed when we hook them up to PA systems. I always advise them if their pride and loyalty to Shure demand it, pay the extra bucks…if not the Behringer XM8500 stands out from the rest of the $20 microphones I've played with.

I suggest you order one and try it.

Hey ljguitar!

Thanks so much! That's exactly what I was hoping to get as a response. Full steam ahead with the XM8500
Old 03-30-2018, 08:03 PM

I have a rather "unique" observation point for the XM8500, since I was looking for an inexpensive 58 clone to hack up for an experimental project. I've got a raft of mics, mostly condensers but a few dynamics including SM57s, which use identical innards with a different basket configuration than the 58's.

I ordered a couple of these from Sweetwater (under $20 / free shipping) and was quite surprised at how similar to a true 58 they are, both sound-wise and construction-wise.

I'm hacking them up to convert them to a specific application using the basket in a 90 degree configuration from the plug end and they have been totally cooperative with being "modified". The metal body, threaded head basket, and XLR are well-made. I do think the capsule is a bit less robust than the Shure capsule, but it's totally acceptable if you aren't going to drive nails with it.

I say all this only to assure you that they are a very good substitute for the SM-58, so purchase confidently.

As a side note, please consider purchasing an inexpensive condenser rather than ANY dynamic if you're using it for recording. If you're looking for actual results I think you will be GREATLY surprised by how much better your recordings will be if you use a condenser.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I have a rather "unique" observation point for the XM8500, since I was looking for an inexpensive 58 clone to hack up for an experimental project. I've got a raft of mics, mostly condensers but a few dynamics including SM57s, which use identical innards with a different basket configuration than the 58's.

I ordered a couple of these from Sweetwater (under $20 / free shipping) and was quite surprised at how similar to a true 58 they are, both sound-wise and construction-wise.

I'm hacking them up to convert them to a specific application using the basket in a 90 degree configuration from the plug end and they have been totally cooperative with being "modified". The metal body, threaded head basket, and XLR are well-made. I do think the capsule is a bit less robust than the Shure capsule, but it's totally acceptable if you aren't going to drive nails with it.

I say all this only to assure you that they are a very good substitute for the SM-58, so purchase confidently.

As a side note, please consider purchasing an inexpensive condenser rather than ANY dynamic if you're using it for recording. If you're looking for actual results I think you will be GREATLY surprised by how much better your recordings will be if you use a condenser.
Are there good condenser mics that don't require phantom power? that's another thing on my list eventually... a decent mixer with phantom power.
Old 03-31-2018, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Are there good condenser mics that don't require phantom power? that's another thing on my list eventually... a decent mixer with phantom power.
Rode M3 and NT-3 can both work from 9v batteries as well as phantom power if you have it.

The M3 is very cheap, for a half decent mic.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 03-31-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
In addition to Paul's suggestions above, the AKG C1000 is a well-respected small diaphragm condenser that can be self-powered with a 9v battery. I have the C1000 mics as well as a pair of the Rode NT3s.

There are others, you just have to search around a bit.

You can get a phantom power box to go between the mic and your recorder and you can then choose between a raft of small and large true condenser mics from $50 and upwards. Don't limit your choices by not wanting to spend a small amount on a phantom power source.

As a side note, I've recorded entire CDs for 4 piece acoustic bands with a Fostex MR-8HD. It's challanging, but possible.
Old 03-31-2018, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi Jambi

For recording instruments (and video recording interviews) I own a pair of Rode NT-3, 20mm (medium diaphragm) which have very good detail, and as mentioned above, allow 9 Volt battery operation.

Rudy says they are still in production.

The latest version of the AKG C-1000 is $200, and uses a pair of AA batteries instead of the 9Volt version. It has cardioid and hypercardioid pickup patterns.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 03-31-2018 at 10:14 PM. Reason: EDITED as per Rudy's comment…
Old 03-31-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Jambi

For recording instruments (and video recording interviews) I own a pair of Rode NT-3, 20mm (medium diaphragm) which have very good detail, and as mentioned above, allow 9 Volt battery operation.

I'm not sure they are made any more, but eBay has them.

The latest version of the AKG C-1000 is $200, and uses a pair of AA batteries instead of the 9Volt version. It has cardioid and hypercardioid pickup patterns.

The NT3 is in current production and is widely available.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...0aAmTiEALw_wcB
Old 03-31-2018, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
The NT3 is in current production and is widely available.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...0aAmTiEALw_wcB
Hi Rudy
Thanks for that - and sorry I misspoke - edited my post

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 04-01-2018, 07:05 AM

Thanks everyone.

I will definitely move to higher grade microphones and equipment supporting features like phantom power eventually. In the meantime, the xm8500 will be a serviceable stopgap measure.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD