The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-28-2012, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Default Charis guitars - specifically the neck profile

Hi all,

Before I started looking to replace [what I thought was] my "expensive" TaKamine, I had no idea what GAS was, nor had I ever really experienced it. Now I own a BTO (someone else' specs, but excellent choices) and a GSCE-LTD, together costing about 13X more than that Tak. Of course I should be ridiculously satisfied with these two, yet here we go...

I recently stumbled on a Charis guitar, a dread, online. I saw a video and was absolutely blown away by the tone. If I could somehow mash my two higher-end guitars together, I imagine that this how this particular guitar would sound. I am seriously considering offering up the BTO, and possibly the GSCE to finance the purchase of this guitar. I never thought I would say that, but I'm smitten like a 17-year old boy looking at _______________ [insert name of sultry vixen here].

The thought of going to one high-end guitar has it's advantages, too. I don't get to play as much as I would like, and it is a shame to have these sit in the case. If I only had one, it would be much easier.

One major consideration is that I have never played a Charis. I have no doubt they are excellent in terms of build quality, and as I said, I love what I heard from the video and would be willing to take a chance on a purchase (especially with an adequate return policy), but would really love to get more information on what anyone can tell me about the neck profile? Is there any guitar out there that has a similar profile that I can play? i'm comfortable with my Taylors and don't want to sell them to purchase a guitar that I would be uncomfortable playing. Buying first with intent to sell later is just not an option because I know me...I'll procrastinate and never sell, and can't afford to do that. I don't believe I will find any locally to try.

So, can anyone offer any guidance on Charis guitar necks?

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)

Last edited by mikealpine; 03-28-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

I cannot help you, but I know somebody who can. I sent you a pm. Good luck. All I know is that you cannot go wrong with a Charis!

Last edited by StringMeUp; 03-28-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

And replied to, Tony, thanks so much!!

Still hoping to get some feedback from someone who owns one, though. I can't imagine it wouldn't have a great feel, but it's a big purchase so I'm trying to do some good due diligence in the absence of the ability to get my hands on one.

Much appreciated!

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 03-28-2012, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

You're welcome to come play mine if you are anywhere near southwest Virginia!

I find it hard to describe neck shapes so don't know that I can help you much in that regard. I have a Taylor, a Guild, a Composite Acoustic, and the Charis and don't have any trouble moving between them.

Whenever I break out the Charis I am always blown away by its tone and the bell-like clarity of its trebles.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
but would really love to get more information on what anyone can tell me about the neck profile? ?
The Charis's I've played have necks virtually identical to Olson's. Kind of a D shape or flat oval, pretty sleek. Not sure if that will help, but there are at least over 1000 Olson's out there, so you might have a better chance of running into one. Of course Bill is a custom builder, so he may very well build lots of different neck profiles. Why not write to the guy selling this guitar and get some info and measurements?
Old 03-29-2012, 01:00 AM
Musical minimalist

I've played quite a few and owned one....

I'm pretty sure the profile has "morphed" slightly over the years, and Bill would be the best person to ask about that. You'll find he'll be pretty quick to respond to emails.

I'm assuming you are looking at purchasing from Danny at APM? He or Steve would be able to give you a fair assessment as well. You'll not find a better guy than Danny.

All the ones I've played have had a pretty shallow and very comfortable profile. Seems like the profile on the newer Performance series guitars may have been just slightly fuller, but without doing them side by side it's hard to say.

As to the tone, I've never played one of Bill's guitars that wasn't pretty stellar.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

And this is why I am happy to be a member here!

Tony: Again thanks! I will keep you posted. The guys at APM have been wonderful and truly deserve your complimentary remarks.

Raggamuffin: What a nice offer! Unfortunately, I'm a ways away from VA (on Long Island in NY). Glad to hear how much you like the Charis. On the videos, the tone is awesome, and they really look terrific!

Doug: Wrote to Bill a couple of days ago, haven't hear back. I was hoping he'd be represented at the Farmington CT guitar show this weekend, roughly a 3-hour trip from me. Perhaps I will hear back at some point.

Fitness1: Thanks for the info! Spoke with Steve today, and he was gracious with his time and information. As stated above, haven't heard back from Bill via direct e-mail or the info request on his website. Perhaps he's on vacation or something. Danny gave me a lot of info via e-mail and Steve gave more. It would probably be a Performance series dread that I'd be looking for. Have to sell my Taylor BTO first to be able to afford that, though. Nice to hear your assessment of the overall tone, though. Based on the videos on APM's site, they are pretty awesome!

Again, thanks all! I'll be listing the BTO either later today or tomorrow, so if you know of anyone looking for one (Sinker/Macassar GA, just under a year old and in like-new condition), please keep let them know about it.

All the best,
Mike

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 03-29-2012, 01:41 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
. As stated above, haven't heard back from Bill via direct e-mail or the info request on his website. Perhaps he's on vacation
I just got a reply back from him within minutes. He said he replied to you yesterday. I've PM'ed you his reply.....

Old 03-29-2012, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

Big thanks to Todd for getting me connected to Bill!

Sidebar: Why do most folks take pictures of their guitars outside? I see so many pictures on decks, on creekbanks, etc. It's like the old Playboy calendars only with guitars having staples through their navels!

So I will do the obligatory outside shots with my guitars, and hope some fresh air and sunshine add to their value and make them sell faster!!

Once again, thanks all!

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 03-29-2012, 04:46 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Big thanks to Todd for getting me connected to Bill!

Sidebar: Why do most folks take pictures of their guitars outside? I see so many pictures on decks, on creekbanks, etc. It's like the old Playboy calendars only with guitars having staples through their navels!

So I will do the obligatory outside shots with my guitars, and hope some fresh air and sunshine add to their value and make them sell faster!!

Once again, thanks all!
Natural light as opposed to flash takes much better pictures....you don't even have to go outside, just a well lit area in your home will do.....

Old 03-29-2012, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

I had a feeling it had to do with lighting; guitars do look good that way! It just struck me as funny, though. Maybe a "sexy guitar" calendar is a good idea!! There are some absolutely gorgeous guitars that I have seen since joining here. A recent Bashkin build thread comes to mind, with a segmented rosette and other elements that are really stunning.

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 03-30-2012, 05:11 AM

I good way to see a neck profile is to wrap some very soft wire (I use solder wire) round it. Then put in on a plain background and photograph.

I only have one in stock at the moment (two on order). I can do the above for you if that helps. You can't go wrong with Bill, (or Danny). Great guitars at very reasonable prices.

Last edited by Trevor M; 03-30-2012 at 05:17 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Moyle View Post
I good way to see a neck profile is to wrap some very soft wire (I use solder wire) round it. Then put in on a plain background and photograph.

I only have one in stock at the moment (two on order). I can do the above for you if that helps. You can't go wrong with Bill, (or Danny). Great guitars at very reasonable prices.
Hi Trevor, and thanks for the offer! Bill e-mailed me with a graphed out cross-section. That should be enough info, although it would have been great to hear that it is similar to an easily accessible production guitar (although if it was so similar, why buy at this level?). Love your site, by the way! Too bad you are across an ocean. I see you have a Blackwood model. The dreadnought I am looking at has a Sinker Top with Blackwood B/S. Sounds rich and exquisite!! There is also a Mahogany-backed dread that sounds great. Choosing, assuming I can sell my Taylor(s) is going to be very difficult!

Thanks again for offering to lay out the profile!

Regards,
Mike

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 03-30-2012, 06:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
...So, can anyone offer any guidance on Charis guitar necks?
Hi Mike...
I think it was a great idea to call Bill at Charis and ask him.

I own a 1993 Olson, and the neck profile on mine is a shallow C, and extremely comfortable.

I played a Charis in 2011 at a gathering for 10-15 minutes, and it was pretty close to my neck's profile.

But Olsons are not all the same. Jim has 3 profiles he showed me in 2005 when we visited his shop, and he can alter those. So saying a Charis is like an Olson if probably too little info for you.

I've actually played several Charis over the years, and they have all been very comfortable for me to play, as is my Olson. So unless it was some extreme configuration customer requested, I doubt this one would be out of line with the norm.

But, if it were me, I call Bill to discuss it and verify that (and I'd want the year and serial number to ask with). Some builders keep notes so they can look up specifics on custom instruments.

Hope this helps....

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 03-30-2012 at 06:34 AM. Reason: oops - he already got hold of Bill - so i amended the post some
Old 03-30-2012, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Larry. I spoke with Bill yesterday and he sent me a schematic of the neck at the first and seventh frets. I have to find Taylor specs at those same points, if that is possible, but the info I got from Acoustic Pro Musicians confirms what I suspected; the Charis neck is slighly thinner (front to back) than the Taylor. Hopefully this will translate to easier barre chords when using medium strings.

I didn't think to ask about the year and serial number, so that is great advice too.

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
charis