The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-13-2012, 10:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Goodman Hog/Lutz Dread 12 string build thread

Here is a 14 fret 12 string Dreadnought I have been commissioned to build.
Honduran mahogany body and neck, Lutz spruce top, Ivoroid binding:

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 02-14-2012, 12:49 PM

I see a drawing for a slotted headstock behind one of the photos. Will this have one?
Old 02-14-2012, 02:58 PM

Hi, Brad--

It looks like it will be a beautiful 12 string. Thanks for sharing the build process with us. I mostly play original instrumental pieces on my Taylor 12 string, and I live not far from you in Putnam Valley.

How would you best describe the tonal differences between ladder braced and more typically braced 12 strings. Please generalize as I'm sure your guitars will have a signature sound all their own.

DAVE
Old 02-15-2012, 05:59 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Moyle View Post
I see a drawing for a slotted headstock behind one of the photos. Will this have one?
Hi Trevor,

This guitar will have my solid headstock. I will be posting pictures shortly of the neck construction.

Brad

Last edited by Brad Goodman; 02-15-2012 at 06:08 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:07 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncognito1 View Post
Hi, Brad--

It looks like it will be a beautiful 12 string. Thanks for sharing the build process with us. I mostly play original instrumental pieces on my Taylor 12 string, and I live not far from you in Putnam Valley.

How would you best describe the tonal differences between ladder braced and more typically braced 12 strings. Please generalize as I'm sure your guitars will have a signature sound all their own.

DAVE
Hi Dave,

Small world! You are welcome to come over and see my shop.

The ladder braced 12's i have built have all been tuned down 4 half steps with very heavy strings, so it is a completely different sound. I have described there voice as brawny-dry- woody.

This 12 will be tuned all the way up with light gauge strings- I,m thinking more "Angelic" of a sound , probably a lot closer to the Taylor.

It's always so hard to describe "sound".

You are welcome to come over and try out any of my guitars and hear for yourself. I usually have a couple laying around.

Brad
Old 02-26-2012, 11:11 AM

Hi, Brad--

Thanks for the invitaion. I will definitely take you up on your offer sometime soon. I'm eager to see more photos of this 12 string build. Thanks for sharing this with us.

DAVE
Old 02-26-2012, 11:26 AM

I hate to fuel the eternal debate, but can you attribute any difference in tone from lutz to other types of Spruce, say a Sitka or adirondack? I've only heard good things about Lutz, but it's not clear to me how different it is from other types of Spruce.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:44 AM

I have also heard different stories as to exactly what defines Lutz, your thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiloKiley View Post
I hate to fuel the eternal debate, but can you attribute any difference in tone from lutz to other types of Spruce, say a Sitka or adirondack? I've only heard good things about Lutz, but it's not clear to me how different it is from other types of Spruce.
This is actually one of the first two guitars I am building using Lutz spruce,so I have not actually heard what t sounds like.

I will say that so far the difference I see and feel is that is very light,but not at the expense of stiffness.

This guitar body is extremely resonant when tapped.

We will find out soon what it sounds like. I have started on the neck and will post pictures soon.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:49 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Moyle View Post
I have also heard different stories as to exactly what defines Lutz, your thoughts would be appreciated.
I have high hopes for this wood as stated in the above post. John Greven is a great endorser of it.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:05 PM
AGF Sponsor

Well,
I finished this guitar a few days ago ,It sounds great! I take back everything bad I have ever said about Dreadnoughts!

I am convinced the Lutz has a lot to do with it. It has really nice note separation -here are the pics

Old 05-01-2012, 08:47 PM

Congratulations Brad! It's perfect.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:48 PM

Gorgeous! Love the understated yet slightly-blingy looks, love the laminate on the back of the peghead!
Pairdown (acoustic duo, fingerstyle, Brit-folk) : http://www.pairdown.net

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop