The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-20-2012, 02:40 PM

Default A Night of Firsts

This past Wednesday I experienced two firsts. I was playing at a winery north Vancouver WA. My main performing instrument is a padauk/sitka SJ that I finished about 4 years ago. Over the years, between my subtley-free picking technique and lists of 'spontaneous' remarks taped to its bass side, the guitar's surface has developed quite a bit of character.

But, on to the first first. This was the slowest night that I've ever experienced. For the last set and a half I played to one customer (No, I'm not that bad of a player). So, this was the first night I've ever played what one might consider a command performance.

At the end of the night, John (my audience) asked if he could try out the SJ while I packed up. I generally don't let just anyone grab one of my instruments, but this fella already owns one of my padauk/sitka OM's. By the time I was finished loading up my gear, he'd decided that he wanted to buy the SJ, character and all. So this was also the first time I've ever sold a guitar to every member of my audience.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:09 PM

Hey Michael - I guess congrats are in order for selling your guitar. Do you think you'll miss it? Does it have much sentimental value, especially since it's your "main performing instrument"?
Old 04-20-2012, 04:12 PM

That's neat! Though I wouldn't advise you to play the big stadiums until you have a Martin type facility set up.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:03 PM

Dru, I don't miss it really. There's something very gratifying when you get repeat customers, especially when they essentially sell the instrument to themselves. Besides, I just got back an EIR/sitka SJ that I had on loan to a recording studio that will take its place. Plus, I just started a new performing/prototype instrument--a 000 tricone reso guitar with a florentine cutaway. Solid EIR back & sides/padauk top with a National cone & bridge setup. I have two potential customers watching this one with interest.

And Jobe, thanks for the advice. I believe that I will stay away from gigging in stadium, for more reasons than just my low production numbers!
Old 04-21-2012, 04:09 AM

Default Great Story

If your a gigging musician lets hear some of those guitars.
Gibson Les Paul
Gibson 335 Dot
Bunch of Strats
Fender B-Bender Tele
Old 04-21-2012, 10:59 AM

Hi, Clinch. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not very technically adept. In fact, Luddites make fun of me for being backwards. I'm barely up on CD technology, much less those mp3's--whatever they are. But, with some of the the money from this sale, I think I'll have a pro friend and lay down a couple of tunes on some of my inventory, then put them on this site. Great suggestion. Thanks. In the meantime, here are a couple of peghead shots of recently finished guitars. There are more shots of both on my website:

This is from a ziricote/sitka Grand Parlor model.

And this the macassar peghead overlay of my latest sapele/sitka Soloist 12.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:22 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Great story! Beautiful headstocks. Both very classy.

JR
Old 04-21-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb propsom View Post
Dru, I don't miss it really. There's something very gratifying when you get repeat customers, especially when they essentially sell the instrument to themselves. Besides, I just got back an EIR/sitka SJ that I had on loan to a recording studio that will take its place. Plus, I just started a new performing/prototype instrument--a 000 tricone reso guitar with a florentine cutaway. Solid EIR back & sides/padauk top with a National cone & bridge setup. I have two potential customers watching this one with interest.

And Jobe, thanks for the advice. I believe that I will stay away from gigging in stadium, for more reasons than just my low production numbers!
Michael - that makes a lot of sense. Repeat customers are great, aren't they?

I just checked out your website for the first time. Nice! You've got some great guitars there.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop