The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-19-2022, 06:13 AM

Default Is the J45 really a dreadnought?

We’re accustomed to referring to J45s (and the extended family) as slope shouldered dreadnoughts, but are they really dreadnoughts? Aren’t they Jumbos? I’ve played D18/D28s and when I play a J45/J35/J29/southern jumbo etc, they feel as different as when I play an OM/00 etc. If it’s only related to the 16” lower bout, then why aren’t Grand Auditoriums called something like “narrow waisted dreadnoughts”.

Edit: I’m not literally asking about the “J” designation in J45. Its well know that (1) Gibson has made some really daft naming decisions (2) Lumping J45s (J45 as the generic term for the SSD type/class of guitar, not the actual J45) in with dreadnoughts has clear historical roots.

I’m more making a philosophical naval gazing comment about whether, with the benefit of hindsight, it is fair that the J45 (see 2 above) not be recognised as its own thing. Are all J45s dreadnoughts, but all dreadnoughts aren’t J45s?

Last edited by Jimmy Recard; 01-19-2022 at 08:34 AM.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:15 AM
Charter Member

Paging Silly Moustache…
Old 01-19-2022, 06:26 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, technically jumbos. I think the term "slope shoulder dreadnaught" really reflects how influential Martin's nomenclature became. It's trying to shoehorn Gibson body sizes into Martin naming conventions.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 01-19-2022, 06:27 AM

C'mon. What do you think the "J" stands for in the series designation.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:28 AM

Dreadnought is a term that Martin came up with. Jumbo is a term that Gibson came up with. They have both been copied extensively. The best reference is a tape measure.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
Is it John?
Old 01-19-2022, 07:08 AM

Silly Moustache can take this one. Where are you Andy?
Old 01-19-2022, 07:30 AM

I do not get what the mystery is. In 1934 when Gibson figured it was time to go toe to with Martin they designated their first guitar with a 16" lower bout the Jumbo. In 1935 they came out with the short-lived Trojan (possibly so named as to not confuse it with the Jumbo which was still in production) which in 1936 was transformed into the J35 while they added the Advanced Jumbo to the lineup. Martin did their own thing and Gibson did theirs. If there is a Gibson mystery it is what did the "L" series designation stand for.

Last edited by zombywoof; 01-19-2022 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-19-2022, 07:34 AM

Is the J45 really a dreadnought?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Recard View Post
We’re accustomed to referring to J45s (and the extended family) as slope shouldered dreadnoughts, but are they really dreadnoughts? Aren’t they Jumbos? I’ve played D18/D28s and when I play a J45/J35/J29/southern jumbo etc, they feel as different as when I play an OM/00 etc. If it’s only related to the 16” lower bout, then why aren’t Grand Auditoriums called something like “narrow waisted dreadnoughts”.

Of course the 'J' is for Jumbo. It refers to the large lower bout, and the rest of the descriptive nomenclature makes it clear it's not shaped exactly like a "Jumbo" shape.

Speaking of which, the Taylor Grand Auditorium shape is actually pretty close to a smaller Jumbo shape. Which shape is defined from the original Jumbo, the Gibson J-200, as the pattern from which all "Jumboes" derive their shape.

I believe many of the 'J' series have one thing in common, the large lower bouts, but not necessarily the overall shape of the original Jumbo. Which was designed from sketches by Ray Whitley, a country singer who co-wrote the Gene Autry hit song "Back In The Saddle Again". He brought the design to Gibson so they could make him the guitar. That original Jumbo is in the Country Music Hall of Fame, and has Whitley's name inscribed on the headstock.

So "Jumbo" or "J" for guitars can refer to a model, a size, and/or a shape, and not necessarily all on the same guitar model. For all confusion and repetition on model numbering and descriptions, simply blame the associated marketing departments.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 01-19-2022 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-19-2022, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

The J45 has come to be commonly referred to as a slope shouldered dread, so that's what it is.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 01-19-2022, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
Why not "Jelly", especially grape jelly. All breakfast spots have grape jelly available. Maybe in jumbo portions too.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 01-19-2022, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
The J45 has come to be commonly referred to as a slope shouldered dread, so that's what it is.
But is it? Feels like we as the premier acoustic guitar community are allowing a massive injustice to be perpetrated.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

If you are going to get picky about the word dreadnaught then shouldn't they be 12 frets like the first dreadnaughts?

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-19-2022, 08:58 AM

I have no problem with referring to it as a dreadnought since the "J" was just that initial designation given to Gibson's response to the Martin dreadnought. I find it that, modern Jumbos are vastly different in appearance and measurement than the J45 and it is much more typical of the dreadnought shape.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 01-19-2022, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Stand back! Here comes a hand grenade.

Are Yamaha FGs dreadnought guitars? The FG standing for Folk Guitar.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion