The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-23-2022, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Default Shipping To Canada?

I'm likely overthinking this, but since I've never shipped an instrument across any border I need a little guidance and support

I have a potential buyer in Ontario and my main concern is what happens in the case of shipping damage when an instrument ships from one country to another? The town in Ontario is just under 1000 miles from me so the distance it needs to travel isn't my concern, just potential issues if the guitar is damaged. TIA!
Old 05-23-2022, 12:51 PM

There are a number of other threads on this so reading them might help but I don't think it would be any better than shipping within the US. And, there's lots of threads about dealing with damage within the US. It would boil down to dealing with your shipper. You'll get both sides of that discussion in the next comments that get posted.
Old 05-23-2022, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

I live in Canada and have bought guitars online from the US. We used to keep a mailbox just across the border in the US and I would have the guitars shipped to that mailbox. I would then go and pick them up and pay the 13% provincial and federal tax at the border when I bring them back into Canada. I've never had one shipped across and would be hesitant to do so because I've heard too many stories of brokerage fees and delays at the CDN customs. YMMV
Old 05-23-2022, 06:25 PM

I sold the guitar a couple months ago that I shipped to Canada. It’s one of the rare instances where you actually want to use the United States post office. Much cheaper and it avoids additional custom taxes.
Old 05-24-2022, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

All I know is that you do NOT want to receive a guitar from Canada in the states. There is a huge import tax that slips in on you without you being notified. This appears to be on all new, used and repaired guitars even if they are made in America.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 05-24-2022, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
All I know is that you do NOT want to receive a guitar from Canada in the states. There is a huge import tax that slips in on you without you being notified. This appears to be on all new, used and repaired guitars even if they are made in America.
Mr Jelly….. sent you a PM
Old 05-24-2022, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
+1

Steve
Old 05-24-2022, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

So I went to the USPS web site to calculate cost of shipping to Ontario. When I input the box size of 52x20x10 it came back saying the package is too large to ship, which seems strange since I've shipped guitars via USPS before, at least in the states. BTW, I've had better luck with the postal service than either UPS or Fedex. My next step will be to chat with someone at my local post office.
Old 05-24-2022, 02:11 PM

I live in Canada and bought some twenty acoustics from US citizens
over the last fifteen years or so : Never encountered any such issue.
Old 05-24-2022, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
+1

Steve
+2 absolutely
Old 05-24-2022, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29er View Post
So I went to the USPS web site to calculate cost of shipping to Ontario. When I input the box size of 52x20x10 it came back saying the package is too large to ship, which seems strange since I've shipped guitars via USPS before, at least in the states. BTW, I've had better luck with the postal service than either UPS or Fedex. My next step will be to chat with someone at my local post office.
Take it to the PO; don't use their online calculator. But, your box is too big. The 108" limit, measuring around the box and adding length, is steadfast. (Yours adds to 112".)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg US POSTAL.jpg (45.2 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by Zissou Intern; 05-24-2022 at 06:15 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion