The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-05-2017, 10:41 AM

Default Do you think this would power a Small Amp like a Fishman Mini??

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...=170205_sunday
Old 02-05-2017, 10:56 AM
Cocobologist

The Loudbox Mini pulls 145W max @ 1.2A. Seeing as that supply has a max of 120W on the AC outputs, I would say that you'd be pressing your luck relying on that unit for any length of time.

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 02-05-2017, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

I looked at the specs on the LB Mini: 145W max, considering AC single phase would be around 2.64 amps. Not a huge draw, since that unit says 18 amp That Pure Outdoor PowerCache shows 18 amp hour battery. BUT, it says the inverter is good for up to 120 watts of pure sine wave AC power.

Just a guess, but I'm thinking as long as you don't crank it all the way up on both channels, that battery/inverter should work.

Interesting premise. I have a Roland Street Cube that I have used on a few gigs where power wasn't available (boat docks). That runs fine on 6AA batteries, but doesn't sound as good as the LB Mini. Two plug-ins on that battery/inverter would take care of my use of a TC Play Acoustic, too (I have used a different battery/inverter just for the harmonizer).

----------

On edit, I see Gutch also answered this - I took a break for breakfast before finishing the post. Sorry for the duplication.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:24 PM

Yes.

Peak to average power for acoustic music is in the range of 10:1. Take the amp peak power consumption and divide that by 10 as long as you don't drive the amp into distortion. It should run longer than you can stand to play and sing. The power peaks don't come from the external power source, they come from the capacitors in the amp's power supply (again assuming no long term distortion). I would not get worked up about the peak consumption of the amp and would focus on average (many companies rate power consumption at 1/5 total power output which margins this by 2x). Listening to a 1 KHz sine wave just short of a few percent harmonic distortion makes for pretty boring entertainment, but is the gold standard of rating power consumption and power delivered to a speaker. It is important to consider how your usage differs from a test bench.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 02-05-2017 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:26 AM

Yes, certainly. I have a similar unit with the same battery rating https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-XP.../dp/B004EIAADG.
I used it for performing outdoors with a Fishman mini when there was no other power available. At full volume, by my quick calculations, you should be able to play for many hours. At lower volume, you'll play all day.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification