The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-22-2013, 06:01 PM

Default Special strings for a 3/4 size guitar?

Don't know how I overlooked them for so long, but recently found that several string makers offer strings for fractional size guitars like 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 etc.

I'd like to put some better quality strings on a Hohner 3/4 size kids' student grade nylon instrument. It already has decent sound and think that better strings would be an improvement.

Question is, what is the difference between standard size classical strings and fractional size strings? I already have a pack of standard size D'Addario Pro-Arte hard/high tension strings and was wondering if I could use those, or if it would be best to go with the fractional size strings?

TIA ,

spayzkadet

Last edited by spayzkadet; 12-23-2013 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Improved verb useage ; )
Old 12-22-2013, 06:13 PM

Use the Daddario
Old 12-22-2013, 11:38 PM

The important thing is the guage of the strings- not the length
The strings marked for 3/4 are generally the same guages as the correspomding full length strings-
usually only normal tension and hard tension are available- and then run actually more money than the same corresponding strings for a full sized guitar

so- if you shop low price end, regular strings are usually lower and you can cut them down

there's limited choice in actual 3/4 marked strings beyond d'addario, which sells hard and normal tension-
usually listed as the same corresponding guage, except occasionally in error I think

I'm just playing around with this now.

the prevailing logic seems to run to hard tension for short scale, but I'm finding the normal seems to be about normal-
this may have come about because there's a strange world of all sized guitars labled as different sizes, and with different scale lengths-
and they perhaps come with cheap floppy strings-
I have llower priced Oscar Scmidt in 1/2 and 3/4 and the strings were soft, though guaged about normal- normal daadrio gives an immediate stiffer action

Cordoba puts high tension on theirs, while the dimensions of their shorter scale classical guitars remains more true to real classical playing- with a relatively wider nut than most cheap smaller guitars. I ended up putting wider nuts on both the Schmidts- but you can't get much more than a couple millimeters in further string separation, because the neck is narrow and limiting. A recent used 3/4 Cordoba Cadete has proven stiffer, but the scale is longer than the 3/4 schmidt, and I'm not sure what the worn strings on it are- so far I've put new basses on, but may return it- the action is high and there's no truss rod.

I've got several smaller guitars now in various sizes, and all generally are improved with a set of normal daddarios - although I'm going to probably be trying light tension basses at least and maybe normal trebles-

I'm not that concerned about the sound- they are what they are, and different from a full size in sound obviously.
Still they sound nice, and I';m after comfort and playability. I may write more here later, because right now, I'm still in the middle of getting a working education.

but I like a low easy action- and not young- I want to play longer without strress ,and to that end, recently changed to light tension on my full size ax.

I might try the hard tension you already have, but I know if it were me, I'd end up with nothing more than normal tension strings on, which, in theory would make for slightly less than normal tension- but still probably more than the floppy strings on already-

the hard tension willl definitely make the action stiffer- so the height can be a factor too, if marginal already

Last edited by harpon; 12-23-2013 at 05:08 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:14 AM

Normal strings (made for 4/4 guitars) work perfectly well on 3/4 size guitars. Whatever tension you use is just a matter of personal preference.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spayzkadet View Post
Don't know how I overlooked them for so long, but recently found that several string makers offer strings for fractional size guitars like 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 etc.

I'd like to put some better quality strings on a Hohner 3/4 size kids' student grade nylon instrument. It already has decent sound and think that better strings would be an improvement.

Question is, what is the difference between standard size classical strings and fractional size strings? I already have a pack of standard size D'Addario Pro-Arte hard/high tension strings and was wondering if I could use those, or if it would be best to go with the fractional size strings?

TIA ,

spayzkadet
Oh please lord don`t use nylon string on this. i try to put them on for a friend one time. (same guitar model) Long story someone got hurt real bad. so please don`t do it.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverN3RD View Post
Oh please lord don`t use nylon string on this. i try to put them on for a friend one time. (same guitar model) Long story someone got hurt real bad. so please don`t do it.

OliverN3RD,

This guitar is a Hohner HC 03.

It was built to use nylon strings. It came from the factory with nylon strings installed.

There is no truss rod in the neck. If steel strings were installed, it is likely that the guitar would self-destruct from excessive tension that the instrument wasn't designed to handle.

My plan is to replace the old factory nylon strings with new nylon strings.

Maybe you mistakenly installed steel strings on your friend's guitar?

And...just possibly...you mentioned nylon strings in your post, when what you really meant to say was steel strings?

I hope that the person that was injured in the unfortunate accident has recovered since the event took place.

spayzkadet
Old 12-28-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:

OliverN3RD,

This guitar is a Hohner HC 03.

It was built to use nylon strings. It came from the factory with nylon strings installed.

There is no truss rod in the neck. If steel strings were installed, it is likely that the guitar would self-destruct from excessive tension that the instrument wasn't designed to handle.

My plan is to replace the old factory nylon strings with new nylon strings.

Maybe you mistakenly installed steel strings on your friend's guitar?

And...just possibly...you mentioned nylon strings in your post, when what you really meant to say was steel strings?

I hope that the person that was injured in the unfortunate accident has recovered since the event took place.

spayzkadet
y`know, you may be right because i didn`t asked him what kind of strings they were. so in a way it`s my fault as well. sorry for spazzing out.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverN3RD View Post
y`know, you may be right because i didn`t asked him what kind of strings they were. so in a way it`s my fault as well. sorry for spazzing out.
OliverN3RD, not a problem at all. Thanks for your concern .

Thanks also to everyone else for your input, it's all been helpful.

spayzkadet
Old 12-29-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
OliverN3RD, not a problem at all. Thanks for your concern .

Thanks also to everyone else for your input, it's all been helpful.

spayzkadet
Your welcome. have fun with it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical