The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 12-05-2012, 05:58 PM

Default Mandolin Question

Hey everyone,
I've been looking to get a mandolin for awhile now... but I know next to nothing about them...
Specifically, I'm looking at the Savannah SF-100 F-model mando... seems to be reasonably priced, has a solid spruce top, maple back and sides...

Does anyone have any experience with this mandolin? I'm looking for potential problems with it.. intonation/tuning (I know that's a big problem with cheaper mandolins), etc....

Thanks,
Christen

Alvarez AD-410 "Tranquilidad"

Ibanez M522SBS F-style mandolin

My Soundcloud Profile

My Bandcamp Profile

Behind the Feather Curtain (personal blog)
Old 12-05-2012, 06:58 PM

i am thinking of buying one of these. I have played them and they are nice!
http://www.folkmusician.com/Eastman-...uctinfo/MD505/

another thing is I would buy from here because of their set ups
http://www.folkmusician.com/mandolinsetup.asp

they do this I believe on all models so even a cheaper one will have good playability. Check out the others. I have found through research and actually playingthem for lower end pricing that Eastman are very good mandolins. Loud bold and play nice.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

I tried the Savannah mandolins at a local shop and was not impressed. If you can save a little more, check out the Kentucky offerings. If not, consider the Gretsch branded mandolins that they just started selling under their roots collection. Not really bluegrass style, but a pleasant tone for under $200.

Todd
Old 12-06-2012, 08:41 PM

My advice would be to get an A style as you will get more for your money. The Loar LM220 is a great instrument for the price, around $379. Eastmans are very good too, the 305 is their entry A model for about 50 bucks more. Kentucky also makes nice starters, the KM150 will run you a little less than the aforementioned but isnt quite as good IMO.The single very most important thing is to buy from a dealer who performs a proper setup prior to shipping. Mandolins really need to have someone who knows what they are doing tweek them for optimal playability and sound, especially for a beginner who doesnt need to be struggling with their instrument.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I tried the Savannah mandolins at a local shop and was not impressed. If you can save a little more, check out the Kentucky offerings. If not, consider the Gretsch branded mandolins that they just started selling under their roots collection. Not really bluegrass style, but a pleasant tone for under $200.

Todd
I played one of those new gretch mandos last week next to a The Loar lm220 at GC. Not even in the same league, the loar was head and shoulders better IMO. You really get what you pay for with mandolins.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:30 PM

"The Loar," "Eastman," and "Kentucky" are all great starters. Lower-end arched-top mandolins (even solid wood) are pressed into their arched shape. "Hand carved" is the euphemism for some machine doing the carving and some person kind of finishing the gradations. Pressed top mandolins just sound different. "Hand-carved" is better. I'm sure the brands I mentioned are carved - well, not sure about the cheapest Kentucky. . .

music for money, go with the a-style. It doesn't have the look, but it'll have the same power. The scroll and points are truly just decorations.

f-d
Old 12-06-2012, 11:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortymack View Post
I played one of those new gretch mandos last week next to a The Loar lm220 at GC. Not even in the same league, the loar was head and shoulders better IMO. You really get what you pay for with mandolins.
At half the price I wouldn't expect them to be equals. But I believe the Gretsch is better than the Savannah.

Todd
Old 12-07-2012, 11:35 AM

Let me start by making the obvious NFI claim...

Anyway, If this thing is still available I'm thinking you would have a hard time finding a better deal: Reputable name, all-solid wood, F-Style (for those suffering with scroll-envy... I'm laughing with you. I was there once. )

http://www.themandolinstore.com/scri...idProduct=9675

Also from, arguably, one of the best places to deal with when purchasing a new mandolin...

***EDIT: 4 hours later...GONE! Did anyone here nab it up? It was a pretty darn good deal.***

Last edited by GerryinAZ; 12-07-2012 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Status Update

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments