The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 11-21-2011, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)
Default Repblic Resonator

Last summer I was hot for some sort of Resonator. My budget was not up to getting a National, so I was eyeballing some of the Republic offerings. I really wasn’t sure if I wanted a sing cone, tricone, steel, brass, wood...no clue.

Over the summer I tried various resonators from National and Dobro at different shops. I found that I like a national steel body single cone, with a brass tricone being something of a distant second. As summer wore on I chose to get a Taylor GS Mini instead of a resonator as I had no travel guitar.

Then last week...

I popped into the Republic site and saw that they were having something of a blowout on steel-body Triolians. Really good price...

I can resist...
I can resist...
I can resist...

My new Republic Triolian is on its way. After some discussion with Frank I went with a 14-fret model with a sunburst. It has a short (25”) scale which is not my fave (on a flattop anyway), but the standard scales all had a 1 7/8” nut (and are 12 fretters...which isn’t a bad thing in my book). Frank felt the shorter scale didn’t significantly alter the projection or volume.

So...we’ll see.

Any comments on the particular models I mentioned? Curious to hear if anyone has the less-traditional 14-fret version.

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 11-21-2011, 05:55 PM

I used to have a bell brass Republic triolian which I sold last year and now regret. Great guitar for the money. Good choice.

Alan
Mike Terris Maple E body squareneck dobro
Squier Telecaster standard
Squier Jazz bass vintage modified 70s
Yamaha Pacifica
Gretsch Electromatic lap steel
Gold Tone GT 750 6 string banjo
Guild GD 125 12 string

http://www.reverbnation.com/alanwalker/songs
http://www.reverbnation.com/ravensreturn/songs
Old 11-21-2011, 08:52 PM

I bought one of the Rogue bell-brass numbers. Only 3 bills, and very nice for the money. Ungodly heavy though!
Old 12-06-2011, 10:58 AM

My modified just-intonation resophonic tricone is a Republic. It sounds really quite good, so good I haven't bothered to upgrade the cones in the two years I've had it.

Some craftsmanship elements left to be desired (tuner installation, some finishing issues, the insides look positively gnarly); can't comment on the fretwork as I had a completely new fingerboard installed for the new tuning.

An excellent guitar for the money, IMNSHO.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:53 AM

Hi,
I'm gassing for a Republic Resonator too. I am going for a biscuit cone, but I cannot decide between a brass and a steel body.
Which is the best suited for blues (mostly fingerpicked and sometimes slided) ?
Are the weight very different ?

I love the smell of spruce in the morning

Gibson Advanced Jumbo
Martin OM-21 Special
Gibson Keb'Mo'
Old 12-17-2012, 02:15 PM

Angry Chinese junk by 'Republic'

I made the MISTAKE of buying one of these boat-anchors awhile back...Brass-plated body, single cone/biscuit bridge 14fret slot-head ( I'm a fool for a slot head)Anyhoo...after playing it for awhile, I noticed that the neck, would 'move' slightly,s2s, if pulled on abit.Being the kind that willnot leave well enough alone, I pulled the flying saucer off and thats where the atrocities began to be revealed. #1: f/glass tape under the edge/seat of the cone #2: neck-stik attached to neck blok/heel with less than el-cheapo **** metal brackets. #3: plywood(?) scrap shims under the sound posts #4:end of neck-stik cut off at 45% angle just short of the sound well lip and a piece scabbed on to make the contact with the lip #5: no contact/'connection with so-called end blok ( more garb/ply-wood?) by the neck stick #6: big chips ripped outa the inside string post holes ( I shoulda seen that). THEN, I had to get up close and personal with the shop that shall remain anonymess that sold me this P.O.S. to get something back outa the deal! Caveat Emptor in EDMNTN AB. This error will not be repeated by me, at least!
Old 12-17-2012, 03:25 PM

Thank you for the autopsy report and heads up on these models.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:52 PM
Guest 2143

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddManOut View Post
It has a short (25”) scale which is not my fave (on a flattop anyway
The National single-cones have short (25") scales. You seemed to like them a lot.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:59 PM

Default Hot Rod Steel?

Anyone familiar with Hot Rod Steel from the Pickin' Parlor?

They might have better QC as they claim to do in-house setups on all their guitars.

http://www.nationalguitar.com/catalog/hot-rod-steel

George
Old 12-18-2012, 04:06 AM

Listen to as many reso tunes as you can. Then when you figure which type of reso you want, save your money and buy a National. One time purchase, and then peace of mind knowing you won't have to trade up! I had to learn this lesson the hard way, spare yourself
Old 12-18-2012, 08:14 AM

I was lookiong Republic too and then I read about radio active recycled metal used on some Chinese made metal products and the thought of big old piece of radioactive metal sitting on my lap didn't seem very attractive. Call me crazy..that's fine... but I read how it's hit or miss with the Republics and the Beard and Hot Rod guitars at Vintage Nationals are almost a grand so I just looked for a used National.

I have a Dean ChromeS (Korean built) I bought over 10yrs ago. It's built right and I've since put in a National Hot Rod cone and installed a Tele pickup in the cover plate and it's pretty good now. This is basically my gateway drug.

I did pick up a National Bendaway this year and it is great in all aspects. You can find used Nationals for not too much more than a new import. That's my route from now on.. these things are addictive...

By the way Lenny at Vintage Nationals is real nice guy to talk to. He sells new and used Nationals too.. If I was to go import it'd be Beard or him in my book. I have to say one guy around here who tried a Republic liked it. It was one of his student's guitars and this guy knows his stuff... You could do well with one. Hope you like yours...
Old 12-18-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Listen to as many reso tunes as you can. Then when you figure which type of reso you want, save your money and buy a National. One time purchase, and then peace of mind knowing you won't have to trade up! I had to learn this lesson the hard way, spare yourself
yup. Go to Youtube and watch Lenny from Vintage Nationals 7 part segment on how they are made. They spend more time fitting the neck than all the handwork on a chinese import combined.

Expensive? Not when you consider the "made in the USA" manhours.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:24 PM
Guest 2143

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Words of wisdom. I agree that, if possible, save for and get a National. For some, though, the money just isn't there and isn't going to be there for so long that I would suggest getting a non-National. Playing something is better than playing nothing.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:51 PM

I'm lucky enough have a National, but I understand the money thing - it took me a VERY long time to get that kind of money together. While I was gassing/saving I did try out some of the cheaper brands. Some Republics were pretty darn good - a resolian I tried was excellent. Some of the duolian-styles weren't bad, either. The Highway 61 could be a lot of fun, if you're after something smaller. One triolian-style I tried was appalling! So, a mixed bag. Search for Bottleneck John on youtube, he does a fine job with his Republics.
If I was going for a cheaper one I'd seriously consider a HotRod from Lenny at Vintage Nationals - I got a tricone squareneck hotrod from him, and I also purchased my National from him (when I finally got the funds together)
Old 12-19-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
I'm lucky enough have a National, but I understand the money thing - it took me a VERY long time to get that kind of money together. While I was gassing/saving I did try out some of the cheaper brands. Some Republics were pretty darn good - a resolian I tried was excellent. Some of the duolian-styles weren't bad, either. The Highway 61 could be a lot of fun, if you're after something smaller. One triolian-style I tried was appalling! So, a mixed bag. Search for Bottleneck John on youtube, he does a fine job with his Republics.
If I was going for a cheaper one I'd seriously consider a HotRod from Lenny at Vintage Nationals - I got a tricone squareneck hotrod from him, and I also purchased my National from him (when I finally got the funds together)
Nationals are nice, no doubt, but I'll echo the above sentiments. I've played a few Republics, and they are pretty decent. The ones I've played WERE set up nicely, and that's key.

I wouldn't put too much (any) stock in the radio-active aspect, though ymmv.

I have 3 Nationals, but wouldn't mind any one of the Republics I've played. Set up is the key. If you fingerpick and play bottleneck, Lenny has a pretty cool 12 string Tricone Hot Rod now.

Hmm... let's see, sell my Nat 12... get a HRS 12 and come out a grand ahead... but it's all metal body, I like wood.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments