The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-14-2013, 10:54 PM

Default What a Wonderful World

This is the first song i heard after my first son was born, turned the car on just as it started, it was pretty heavy. Because it became so personal i tried to make it my own in a way i guess. i hope you enjoy it, although it's hardly the same song as the original.

http://soundcloud.com/adam-broughton-1/wonderful-world
Old 04-14-2013, 11:08 PM

I have never really liked that song till now. What a great arrangement. Love it.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:59 PM

so glad you like it, thanks!!
Old 04-15-2013, 06:31 AM

Very nice @Abaybro, as usual. I always give a touch of my own in all the covers I make but never in such a degree. You did it already man, I liked. Thanks for sharing
Old 04-15-2013, 10:39 AM

Nice arrangement.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:43 PM

Thanks guys! I'm glad people are enjoying it, i figured it'd be hit and miss with such drastic changes... thanks again del for recommending audacity, which i used to sync the background vocals.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:39 AM

Nicely done, very refreshing arrangement. Like it!!!

Roland Kalus

https://rolandkalus.bandcamp.com/alb...le-autumn-blue
Mcilroy A30
Stevens 000-P
Yairi OM
Martin Duwe OM 12fret Cut
Stevens OM-P
Martin Duwe Crossover

AER Amps and PA-Systems
Old 04-17-2013, 05:38 PM

I'm with "martint" on this one. I'm not a fan of the original, as it sounds cheesy to me. But your rendition actually sounds more interesting and brings new light to those lyrics. BTW, I appreciate your back story on this. I am always amazed and thankful that songs become part of the fabric of our lives, woven into important events, times and memories. Thanks for sharing this one.

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 04-17-2013, 06:45 PM

Thanks guys! You're very kind. Honestly I never loved this song either until that night in the car. Now whenever I hear it it puts me right back there. You put it so beautifully Bob! How music becomes part of the fabric of our lives...I love that about music.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:30 AM

If I were not so familiar with the original version, I would never have guessed this was the same song. The words and title were the only give away. I appreciate your ability to rework the song. Your voice and playing is quite excellent. I guess I am still a bit old school when it comes to completely changing the melody of the song but keeping the original lyrics. My suggestion would be to take your new melody (it's terrific) and add your own lyrics. The new melody has such a wonderful lilting quality it makes me want to keep listening. Since you changed the song so much, you might as well go all the way with new lyrics and make it totally your own. I would like to hear that song.

Cheers

'13 Martin D-41
'15 Breedlove Parlor
'75 Sigma DM-5
'85 Yamaha LL-15
'94 Yamaha FG 460S-12A
'91 Martin Backpacker
'08 Johnson JR-410 Square neck resonator
'00 Godin A6
Fishman Matrix Infinity & Elipse Blend pickups
Old 04-18-2013, 10:54 AM

Khedquist thanks so much for your feedback. I had considered writing my own lyrics to this, and my dad suggested the same. I'm not sure where I'll take this ultimately, but when I wrote the guitar and melody, these lyrics just immediately came to mind.

As I'd mentioned I was never really a huge fan of this song until I had a personal experience with it, and then it's beauty became so apparent. I've heard from a few people that this version of the song made them appreciate the original more, and that tempts me to keep it this way, if I can help people hear what I hear in this song...

Thanks again for commenting!!! I will think on it more
Old 04-18-2013, 02:13 PM

No thread on "What a Wonderful World" , on a guitar forum, would be complete without a link to Tony McManus' stellar rendition in DADGAD
Old 04-21-2013, 06:39 AM

Wow - that brought a smile to my face. I had to listen to it twice, thanks for posting it.

I do like the original, and probably anything else Satchmo ever recorded. And, I really love the medley of this with "Somewhere over the Rainbow" by Brother Iz. But you bring a whole new feel to the tune. I really admire the creativity.

I like cheese, too
Old 04-21-2013, 09:41 AM

Thanks Frank! I appreciate your taking the time to listen and comment! Happy you liked it. I'm also happy you like cheese..! Lol

And I agree, Iz' version is amazing

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell