The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-19-2019, 08:28 PM

Default I think it was the strings :o (Yairi content)

So, I’ve had a DY-52 for right at twenty years now. For most of that time, I’ve felt no real need to look at other guitars — well, other acoustics, anyway. Every now and then over the years I’d get a wild hair, but never a powerful enough urge to sell or trade this one in for a new axe.

Recently, though, I’ve been wondering if this guitar is really “right” for me. It’s a dreadnoght, and I bought it used almost on a whim back in the day, so it’s not like I sought out this specific make and model to be “perfect” for my style of playing and the kinds of music I like to play. For one thing, I like to pretend I’m a lead player, so something with a cutaway would be really useful to me (even though “there’s no money over the 12th fret” ). And it’s not like I shopped around and played a ton of guitars to make sure this one had *the* tone and *the* frequency response, etc.

Well, last Saturday I took my old Yairi down to the local shop and compared it to an Alvarez Artist Elite and a PRS — both acoustic/electric, both grand auditorium body style with cutaway. And I came away feeling like my old Yairi blew them both out of the water. :o

Now, I’m sure part of that is just familiarity — I’m used to the Yairi by now. But with the Alvarez, it wasn’t even close. I mean, both it and the Yairi have solid tops with laminate back and sides. The Yairi, however, was almost shockingly louder unplugged, and it seemed to have a much fuller sonic signature — the tone of the Alvarez seemed narrower and more ... focused? Compressed? I don’t know. The PRS was better than the Alvarez, but still no match for my beat up old friend.

If nothing else, I came away with a vigorously renewed appreciation for what I have!

But I think the other thing that I hadn’t considered lately is ... the strings. I’ve been struggling with wrist pain for a while now. Had to go to hybrid 9-46s on my electrics, and I’ve been trying to find the right gauges for my acoustic so that it’s not too big a jump from electric to acoustic, but so that the acoustic still feels and sounds right. Mostly, I’ve been using Ernie Ball 12-54 (I’m a big fan of EB electric strings), but I’ve regularly dropped down to 11-52s off and on over the last few years, and most recently I’ve been trying John Pearse custom lights — 12,16,23,32,42,55 ... all to give my fretting hand a break.

Welp, a few days ago (before Saturday) I put a set of D’Addario bluegrass PBs (12-56) on the Yairi, jus to see A) what they’d sound like, and B) if my left wrist could take it. The jury’s still out on B, but as for A, I’m pretty sure that’s been the missing factor recently that’s made me think of selling the Yairi for something else. She now sounds like she’s whole and complete. Crisp, full, but still sweet. And not *that* much harder to play. I think I’ve really been crippling her with lighter strings, as much as I (greatly) prefer the easier feel and playability.

Will have to see if I can manage these strings long term. Obviously, if the pain comes back, I’ll have to go lighter again. But for right now, it’s good to have my baby sounding so nice.

You can tell in the clip I’m still getting used to the feel, but fwiw:

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-20-2019 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Please refrain from profanity
Old 11-20-2019, 05:41 AM
Charter Member

Sounds great, hope you've found the right strings.

I had the 12-string version of yours, the DY-80. It was a fine guitar, love the coral rosewood back & sides on these.

I just sold my two old Yairis in an effort to downsize. I had a DY-74 and a DY-52. They were excellent guitars. They went to a good home, a guy from Denver bought them both and is very happy with them. I always used Elixir Lights on them, both kinds.

Nice playing, BTW!
Old 11-20-2019, 01:18 PM

Thanks, Ken! I may eventually cave and go back to the 12-54s ~ I really do like EB strings. But the bluegrass D'Adds just sound so good to me on this guit. :o

As for selling, I imagine having a custom shop Martin in the stable would, uh, shift one's perspective a bit, maybe?
Old 11-20-2019, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Unless you're doing a lot of bending, you really shouldn't feel much more pressure in your hands with the slightly heavier strings. Recently I discovered that there is some magic in shaving a little height off of the nut of my acoustics. Is fretting your guitar more difficult with open first position chords than it is playing those same chords with a capo on the 2nd fret? If so you could probably benefit some from shaving a little off the bottom of the nut.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 11-20-2019, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Haha, yes, maybe it does. When it comes to "bang for the buck," though, you can't beat a Yairi.

That little Martin, by the way, has LaBella Silk & Steel Lights on it, which makes it about the easiest playing guitar I've ever owned. They sound great too. Check 'em out, and if your wrist pain comes back maybe give them a try. I'm sold on them, although I've never tried them on a dreadnought. They are terrific on a small-bodied all-hog guitar, though.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
Haha, yes, maybe it does. When it comes to "bang for the buck," though, you can't beat a Yairi.

That little Martin, by the way, has LaBella Silk & Steel Lights on it, which makes it about the easiest playing guitar I've ever owned. They sound great too. Check 'em out, and if your wrist pain comes back maybe give them a try. I'm sold on them, although I've never tried them on a dreadnought. They are terrific on a small-bodied all-hog guitar, though.
This post has me rethinking the Yairi classical I have on reverb...
Additionally- Santa Cruz parabolic tension strings- mid tension-
I love them- play nicely with low action.
Old 11-20-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Whiskey Picks View Post
Unless you're doing a lot of bending, you really shouldn't feel much more pressure in your hands with the slightly heavier strings. Recently I discovered that there is some magic in shaving a little height off of the nut of my acoustics. Is fretting your guitar more difficult with open first position chords than it is playing those same chords with a capo on the 2nd fret? If so you could probably benefit some from shaving a little off the bottom of the nut.
These are excellent points. It's the bending & vibrato (or rather, my attempts at them) that get me. I think I could probably handle mediums if I were just strumming chords and finger picking. The Yairi's nut is already pretty low ~ makings first position chords really comfortable, even with the bigger strings. It's really higher up the neck and my obsession with "lead playing" that get me bothered about string gauges... I know. I got problems.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:16 PM

It is my opinion that when you go on the hunt for a new guitar, you will find
one or more that you will love.

Buy the new guitar and after say a year, go on the hunt again.
You will once again find one or two guitars that you will love and feel are better than your current guitar.
Many of us call this GAS. [Guitar Acquisition Syndrome]
It it real!

Your Yari sounds wonderful.
If you want a different guitar, go for it but you will miss the Yari if you sell it.

Wait until you can afford a new guitar and then go out looking.
There will be a lot of guitars that you will really like.
It will be hard to pick just one.
If and when you do, be careful that you don't fall into the GAS syndrome, like so many of us have.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
It is my opinion that when you go on the hunt for a new guitar, you will find one or more that you will love. Buy the new guitar and after say a year, go on the hunt again....
Why exactly? If anyone is content and happy with what they have, what would be the motivation to go shopping after 20 years, and then again a year later. That's what I would call self-imposed lack of control - not GAS. If you're happy with what you have (as all should be) there should be no compulsion to shop.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion