The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-03-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
Thatís very nice looking both in construction and in artistic design.

What are you planning to use for a finish?

I recall from another post that you werenít keen on Crystalac, so Iím wondering if you sorted the Crystalac, or found something you like better.
Thanks!!

Well, i'm pretty happy with how this is going and the quality of the build is well above the quality of my finishing that I don't want this to be the "test", i'll either build something specifically to do that or keep going round endlessly with my electric guitar that i've attempted to do 6-7 times and i'm still not happy - all that said, that means i'm planning to send it out for finishing BUT i'm struggling to find a finisher who either isn't a flight away, or isn't charging most of the price of the guitar to do it.
If anyone knows a finisher in Germany or France and can pass on their information, it would be much appreciated.

As far as the Crystalac goes, i haven't had a chance to use it further since my previous attempts. It seems to be OK but as i mentioned previously, I haven't managed to get better than OK results. I may yet test it again, depends if I find or buy something else.
I spoke to Seth Baccus last weekend at the Guitar Summit show in Germany and he is using Nitorlack PU and is getting fabulous results on his electric guitars, so i'm doing some research into their products at the moment.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:32 PM

A long delayed update to this thread

I recently upgraded my phone and in the file transfer process lost nearly 7000 photos, a bunch of those were from this build and the almost the only ones I have left are from this thread so i'm not sure exactly what processes I did since I last posted.

What I can say is that that the guitar has progressed very nicely and is currently on its way to the finisher.

I do have some pictures of the bridge sitting on the guitar, the tuners sitting in place and one picture of the fretwork as those were pictures I took this week.

Funnily enough I think all the frets in the picture below were actually replaced afterwards as I wasn't happy with the even-ness of the ends when you looked down the neck. I also need to find a quicker way of doing this process, it took nearly a week to get all the frets done to a decent standard, and I may yet be tweaking the ends of 1 or 2 when it gets back from finishing if I'm not 100% with how they look when I see them again.

The bridge still needs to be sanded to a nice fine finish and then oiled. I will do this at some point before the guitar comes back.

When it comes back from finishing in the new year i'm really looking forward to stringing this up and finding out just what exactly i've built here as i've used quite a lot of new techniques and construction methods in this build.

Also, as a teaser for those interested, this week I bought some very tasty wood for my next build (another OM) that I hope to start in January once the wood arrives. Obviously there will be new build thread for that one coming once that gets underway.

Here are the latest pictures

My bridge design as viewed from the back side
Untitled by David Emm, on Flickr

The bridge design as viewed from the front side

The headstock with some very tasty gold Schertler tuners

The back of the headstock with the gold tuners.

I went for the hemispherical fret ends again.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:37 PM

I donít know if Iím too late, but if thereís still time, Iíd urge you make it a 12 hole bridge. A 6 hole bridge is a pain with slippery carbon strings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair