The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-12-2007, 11:59 AM

Default AER Compact60 or Genz or Roland JC77????

Hey everyone! Its my first post here but I've been lurking for a looong time. So heres the problem... I play a Taylor 414ce with a kk pure western mini through a oooold roland jazz chorus 77 but I'm not really satisfied with what I'm hearing. To my ears, its still sounds artificial and slightly piezo like. I'm not too sure if its the pickups problem or the amps problem. After looking thru many reviews, i ended up with the compact 60 and genz benz shenandoah(sp?). Really, I'm just lookin for a amp in the 1000 range to make my amplified sound more natural. I just play coffee house and small gigs every once in a while. Oh and my style is mainly tommy emmanuel fingerstyle songs (think angelina, since we met, over the rainbow etc.) what do you guys think? and sorry about the bad writing, my thoughts are all over the place!
Old 07-12-2007, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverenough View Post
...I'm just lookin for a amp in the 1000 range to make my amplified sound more natural.
Hi NE...
Welcome to the group, glad you finally spoke up.

Without question the AER will give you the most nautural sound of the those you listed. I use K&K Pure Western mini with four guitars, and it is a very natural pickup.

Another amp choice for quite a bit less money, with a lot of features, is the UltraSound. The CP -100 is a small amp that is powerpacked (dual channel, speaker and high freq horn), 100 watts of power in about a 30 pound package for $699.

For a 50 watt dual speaker version with same controls, the AG-50 DS4 is only $499. Both are great sounding - I like them as much as the AER.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-12-2007, 01:09 PM

To my ears the AER and Genz Benz are a toss up with the Genz Benz winning with more power, larger drivers, more effects, tube/FET preamp with the pro model, more functional bells and whistles overall.

I could be happy with the AER but playing small/medium venues and using an extension cabinet as PA the Genz Benz is better suited to that task with larger speakers and 200 watts. In a studio again a toss up to me.

Ultrasound and Fishman are a small step down but both still excellent. Any of the four mentioned above are very good, after a lot of auditioning my money went with the Genz Benz Shenandoah Pro, with a wonderful tube/FET preamp it was the easy winner for me. Good Luck.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 07-12-2007, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

I have been very satisfied with my Genz-Benz.

stuff

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.
Jim Morrison
Old 07-12-2007, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

You might want to add the Schertler Unico to your short list. It has an extension cab available (same amps and speakers, no preamp/eq) for future symmetrical expansion, should the need arise.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:14 PM

thanks a lot everyone for all the advice. personally ive never played these amps , only read about them. Just a couple more questions...Do you guys think theyre worth the 1000 over my current JC-77? Is the different in volume between the genz benz pro and compact 60 that big? if not i would prefer the smaller amp because ill be going to college in the fall. And finally how do the ultrasound amps compare to the compact 60 and genz in the sound department?
Old 07-12-2007, 08:16 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverenough View Post
Hey everyone! Its my first post here but I've been lurking for a looong time. So heres the problem... I play a Taylor 414ce with a kk pure western mini...
Personally, I sold my Compact 60's because I had a hard time getting a good tone with the K&K mini unless I used outboard EQ. I don't know anything about the Genz or Roland, but I can say the Loudbox is the first amp that has been just a plug and play afair in terms of the Mini. I think it's just voiced perfect for the that pickup, for my guitars and ears anyway
Old 07-13-2007, 05:48 AM

To answer your qustions the difference in volume is substancial if really important, the AER is 60 watts and the GB Pro is 200 with a larger driver. I have never had mine over about 35% gain in rooms that seat 100.

Is the difference between the GB and Roland night and day, no, noticeable yes, the Roland to my ears was one of the amps that colored the sound, as did Fender and Marshall.

The GB Pro is not a large amp, the 200 Stereo is and has two drivers and two compression tweeters. The Pro has that wonderful tube/FET preamp, great for vocals and warming up a guitar.

Ultrasound and Fishman are fine amps and yes less money. If you're a casual players and just going to college then you need to decide if you really need a pro level amp like AER or Genz Benz, or Ultrasounds or Fishman or SWR would be just fine. If you live and breath music then get the best you can afford, good luck in school.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 07-13-2007, 06:01 AM
"Big Daddy"

I have always liked the portability of the smaller acoustic amplifiers. I have owned the Shenandoah 60 Stereo at it is an awesome amplifier for acoustic guitars.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:27 AM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
.....Ultrasound and Fishman are fine amps and yes less money. If you're a casual players and just going to college then you need to decide if you really need a pro level amp like AER or Genz Benz, or Ultrasounds or Fishman or SWR would be just fine. If you live and breath music then get the best you can afford, good luck in school.
Don’t necessarily go by price. I play full-time, probably 125+ dates a year, I’ve owned two AER’s, two Ultrasounds, two California Blondes... The loudbox 100 is the least expensive, but my personal favorite by far for use with a K&K Mini and or small diaphragm condenser
Old 07-13-2007, 01:50 PM

Hi NeverEnough,

I have both of those amps, the Compact 60, and the Jazz-Chorus 77, plus a couple of Boogies. I'm just getting to know my AER, since I bought it just last weekend, and have only managed to spend a few hours on it. The Jazz-Chorus, I've owned for 15 years or so.

I don't know how helpful I can be, since I rarely use an amp when playing my acoustic guitars, however, I can share a few thoughts as to why I chose each one.

The Jazz-Chorus was purchased "used", and was my first amp. As far as acoustic guitars and that amp goes, I've played my Ovation 1869 through it, as well as a Guild FS-46-ce, and a Takamine EC-128 (classical). When I do play the acoustics through it, I tend to use the "fixed" chorus setting. This gives me a great sound for the Takamine, but, it's not necessarily an accurate sound. One example where that combination really shines, is when I'm playing "Fragile" by Sting. The "fixed" chorus setting and the nylon strings of the Tak, were made for each other for that song. For that type of situation, the JC-77 is ideal, but certainly not an accurate representation of the acoustic guitar. It's a very particular sound.

Now, the Guild FS-46-ce is also a bit of a rare bird, and it also can sound quite good through the JC-77, but again, it depends on the type of music you're playing. That Guild is strung with acoustic strings, so it has a very particular tone that's just right for certain songs. Creedance Clearwater Revival comes to mind.

The pots on the JC-77 are ok. A few get a little scratchy now and then. Overall, it's quite versatile and clean, and I kept it for use with outboard effects. I'll probably never sell it. Not much point. It's worth more to me than I could ever hope to sell it for. The built in reverb and distortion suck, but that chorus is wonderful. When I want distortion, I plug my Les Paul custom into my Mesa-Boogie Mk.III combo. (Signature Edition). Volume-wise, although the JC-77 and the Boogie are rated at roughly 75 watts, it's not even remotely close. The Boogie is a monster.

Now, the AER is a totally different animal. In a sense, it's a "system" more than an amp. You can quite easily use the AER as a small P/A, and it's extremely clean. Power-wise, it's producing 60 watts at 4 ohms, so it'll sound louder than a 60 watt rated amp at 8 ohms. The signal-path is extremely well layed-out, and I wouldn't hesitate to use this amp in a studio. Vocals can sound VERY good through this amp, plus it provides you with phantom-power if required (30v).

Effects are minimal, but ideal for acoustic work. You get a Warm hall reverb, a bright hall reverb, chorus/reverb combination, and a flanger. I like the chorus/reverb combination best, but again, it depends on the tone I'm looking for, and the song I'm playing. The AER's tone controls and effects offer all the control you'd ever want or need with an acoustic guitar.(and voice).

Now, Tommy Emmanuel uses a Compact 60. When he has need for more volume for a larger venue, he simply mics the amp to the P/A. Tommy also uses a small Alesis Micro-Verb at times. My thinking was, "if it's good enough for Tommy,, well. Frankly, you can compare acoustic amps 'til the cows come home, but, I certainly don't think you'll find a significantly better amp, unless it's the AER Acousticube III. That's AER's flag-ship model, and costs 2 1/2 times as much.

As far as build-quality goes, it's built like a tank, yet, it's extremely light-weight and portable. This is something I found very desireable. The included shoulder bag is wonderful, with plenty of pocket space for cords, capos, mics, tuner, etc. I LOVE that shoulder bag. The amp measures 9"x10"x13", which is less than one cubic foot. Not much bigger than a car battery, and weighs only 18.75 lbs. When you need privacy, you also have a headphone jack.

Is it the "ideal" acoustic amp???? Well, it certainly has a lot going for it, not the least of which is excellent re-sale value. You basically can't lose at current price-levels. As far as I'm concerned, it offers tremendous value-for-money spent. If you need more sound dispersion, higher power level, you can also add the accessory AER AG-8 powered sattelite cabinet. (60w).

Will this be my final acoustic amp? Probably not. I happen to REALLY like the Rivera Sedona as well, but, it's a whole "'nuther" sound. I particularly like the Riveras' 6-spring long-pan reverb, to the point where I'm thinking of trying a boutique spring-reverb with the AER. The Rivera is a big, heavy amp, but quality from the word go.

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/r...le+Reverb/10/1

Other acoustic amps that I've liked, are the Genz-Benz Shenandoah Acoustic pro 200w, and the original California Blonde. I haven't tried the Fishman, UltraSound, nor the Shertler.

Bob
Old 07-14-2007, 07:39 AM

I've just bought a AER Compact 60 and am very pleased with it. Like you, 'neverenough', I play a Taylor 414 and think the AER gives great results. I have strung my guitar with Elixier light Phosy Bronze strings too. There is a 'colour' button on the amp which is there to EQ the signal from your piezo and is very effective. The additional sound effect options on the AER provide extra scope to enhance your sound and since there are only four effects to choose from you won't get bogged down eternally tweaking the sound to achieve the ultimate result. The AER amps receive excellent reviews wherever you read or who ever you talk to but of course, there will always be those that will not like them.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:20 AM

+1 on the AER Compact 60. I recently bought mine and used it on a duo gig for the first time at the weekend, but I was playing a Parker Fly through mine not an acoustic. I plugged the Fly into the AER and had it behind me as a monitor. I then used the DI out and ran it into a Mackie mixer and a pair of SRM-450s. The sax went into the mixer. We were playing outside to about 60 or 70 people and I wreckon the AER would have been loud enough with out the main PA to bolster it up.

The sound was amazing. I was mainly using the humbuckers on the Fly to give a nice warm jazz sound but switched to the piezos to play the lead line on Lily Was Here (Dave Stewart and Candy Dulfer guitar and sax instrumental). I was very pleased with the sound this gave, it was very realistic, to my ears anyway.

We had also used the AER at a rehearsal ealier in the week and plugged Kim's AKG sax mic in to it and the Phantom power ran that OK. It runs at 48v off the Mackie mixer, so I am assuming the UK spec AER also runs Phantom power at 48v. There is nothing I can find in the manual to say for definate.

Last edited by Dilbert; 07-16-2007 at 06:22 AM. Reason: typing error, not spelling, just bad grammer!
Old 07-16-2007, 07:41 AM

thanks a lot everyone for all the advice. i tried out a bunch of the amps you mentioned and ended up with the AER compact 60. unfortunately none of the stores nearby had the fishman loudbox for me to try. anyways the AER is just AMAZING. i didnt think such a natural sound was possible from an amplified acoustic. i performed for a few friends yesterday and they all agreed that the sound was extremely realistic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification