The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 06:17 PM

Default How much should I push back?

I'm a guitar tech with my own shop. A good customer of mine wants me to install a Fishman Presys Blend (barndoor style) in his custom shop Martin D-41 12-fret, 12-string. I installed this system in one of his cheaper guitars and he really likes it. He approached me about a year ago about installing one in the D-41, and I told him I wouldn't do it because it would hurt the value of the guitar. Now he is begging me to do it again. I've discussed all the alternatives, and he isn't interested in any of them. It currently has a Fishman Matrix system installed... that's the one with the tiny controls mounted inside the sound-hole.

Now, the Fishman is a nice pickup system for low to mid level guitars. I've installed a bunch, and everyone likes them. But I REALLY don't want to put one in a high end guitar like his. Cutting a big hole in the side of a guitar like that is just seems so WRONG.

This guy does some not-so-smart things with his guitars... example: He has a lower-end Martin 12-string that he decided to turn it into a 6-string, so he cut off half the headstock so now it just had six tuners, and cut off the end with the Martin logo and glued it on the end of the shortened headstock. HE did this, NOT ME, mind you! And yes, it looked as silly as you are imagining. About a year later he brought it to me asking me to make it back into a 12-string, which I did.

So what would you do? Is this a case where the customer is always right.... give him what he wants, or should I stick to my guns and refuse to do it? I'm leaning toward the latter.

Edit after reading 50+ responses:

Thank you all for your responses, advice, and perspectives. So far the yea's are leading the nays by a small margin... I still haven't made a decision, but here are a few more comments:

The customer is a 75-year-old retired pastor. He and his wife do a lot of concerts at churches, senior centers, nursing homes, and the like. So he is semi-pro, playing mostly country and gospel music (mostly cowboy chords).

I consider him a friend, and am not concerned that he will get pissed at me and I will lose him as a customer. He respects my opinion and expertise.

I am not concerned about the money I would make (or not make). I am concerned that he is making a decision that is not in HIS best interest, and I am concerned that it will reflect poorly on me.

My plan is to work on him some more to come up with a better solution. If he insists he wants the Fishman... well, I still haven't made that decision.

Thank you all for your input.

Last edited by stormin1155; 10-20-2018 at 09:56 AM.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:25 PM

Tell him you respect the guitar too much to install a barn door pickup. Advise him he's free to have it done elsewhere if he likes.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

I would stick to your guns and refuse to do the work. Your conscience will be clean if he goes and has it done elsewhere.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormin1155 View Post
So what would you do? Is this a case where the customer is always right.... give him what he wants, or should I stick to my guns and refuse to do it? I'm leaning toward the latter.
Of course, you have to follow your heart. But, after advising your customer as you see fit, take the money and run with a clear conscience.

If you already explained your reasoning to him, but he still wants to do it, it's his guitar, so I'm not sure why you would refuse to do so. Your choice to refuse business, of course, but doesn't make much sense to me.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:28 PM

This ^^^^^^^^^

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-19-2018, 06:36 PM

Great post.

I see your dilemma, save the guitar and lose a good customer or keep the customer and a see a beautiful guitar devalued.

Probably best to do it for him because he sounds like the sort of guy that'll do it himself if you don't ..... and mess it up completely.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 10-19-2018, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

talk him into an LR Baggs Anthem
Old 10-19-2018, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

I’d try to talk him into a Trance Audio Amulet System. If that didn’t work,
I guess I’d do the work and cut the barn door. Use the piece of the upper bout that you extract to make into a slider for a bolo tie.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:55 PM

Sounds like he’s gonna get it done even if he has to do it. I vote do it. Sure it’ll hurt the guitar value but it’s not ur guitar. At least if you do it it’ll b done right
Old 10-19-2018, 07:04 PM

I agree that you are in a no win situation. Your analysis that it will hurt the guitars value is correct. Regretfully, the customer is always right. I would complete the install as he will get it done elsewhere. You will do a professional install vs. having a less qualified installer doing it.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 10-19-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormin1155 View Post
I'm a guitar tech with my own shop. A good customer of mine wants me to install a Fishman Presys Blend (barndoor style) in his custom shop Martin D-41 12-fret, 12-string. I installed this system in one of his cheaper guitars and he really likes it. He approached me about a year ago about installing one in the D-41, and I told him I wouldn't do it because it would hurt the value of the guitar. Now he is begging me to do it again. I've discussed all the alternatives, and he isn't interested in any of them. It currently has a Fishman Matrix system installed... that's the one with the tiny controls mounted inside the sound-hole.

Now, the Fishman is a nice pickup system for low to mid level guitars. I've installed a bunch, and everyone likes them. But I REALLY don't want to put one in a high end guitar like his. Cutting a big hole in the side of a guitar like that is just seems so WRONG.

This guy does some not-so-smart things with his guitars... example: He has a lower-end Martin 12-string that he decided to turn it into a 6-string, so he cut off half the headstock so now it just had six tuners, and cut off the end with the Martin logo and glued it on the end of the shortened headstock. HE did this, NOT ME, mind you! And yes, it looked as silly as you are imagining. About a year later he brought it to me asking me to make it back into a 12-string, which I did.

Frankly, in spite of the likely negative reviews he'll give you, I'd fire this customer.
... and the next time a moron comes in with a Martin he changed from a 12 to a 6, I'd decline the job of returning it to a 12.
Accepting work from such folks is asking for trouble.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

He cut the top of the headstock off because he wanted to make a 12 string into a 6?

In the words of the great Bugs Bunny..

"What a maroon, what an ardvark...."

Lol

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-19-2018, 07:30 PM

This is America, where you have the right to be an idiot as long as you don't hurt anyone else in the process. It's his guitar and he is supposedly a near-rational adult.

Of course you have the right to refuse his business, but that doesn't necessarily sound like a smart move either. You've explained it and I would charge a little extra for my mental anguish, but still do the job.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 10-19-2018, 07:30 PM

Some of the best lessons I've learned were when guitar techs told me no.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion