The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-17-2018, 03:39 PM

Default Maybe Straight Bracing isn't so bad afterall...

Maybe a poor title choice, but I'd say that in my experience, straight bracing gets a bad rap. I know I tend to consider scalloped bracing as the "superior" bracing scheme. I mean, who doesn't want more of everything right? More openness, more low end, more top movement....

Well, I am traveling this week and visited a Guitar Center in Detroit. I played two specific Martins that blew me away. One in particular I am considering returning to buy and ship home.

The first was a D-28 reimagined. Killer sound, very punchy, LOUD, and sounded more like a Martin than some of the more recent HD-28s I've tried. Funny thing is I was set on an HD-28, but now I'm not so sure. The best thing was the sustain and overtones. It just felt so immediate and responsive. Made me rethink my HD desire. Actually, I get a similar reaction when I play a D-35. Gosh, maybe I'm just wanting an HD-28 because it is what I "should" want.

The second guitar blew me away. It was a Martin Dreadnought Centennial. Supposedly, this guitar is a GC exclusive line and the guitar has been in the shop so long that the top is a nice dark color. Guys, this guitar had the most woody, loud, and boisterous sound I've ever heard. It was $1399, so I have NO clue about this model and if that is a good price or not. It's a little dinged up, and I wasn't feeling the aesthetic, but the guitar sounded GREAT for the price.

Then there is that phrase, "for the price." I think that the D-28 had more low end and a more responsive voice, but the price of the Centennial is resonating with me.

Is that a good deal for that guitar? I feel like I should go back and buy it, but I also really want a 28. I should really just stay in my hotel!
Old 10-17-2018, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

The DR Centennial is a lot of guitar for the $. I had one for a while. Adirondack VTS top paired with EIR. But basic and no frills. Satin finish with no back binding or center strip. Neck profile like a "21" without the dart or delta or whatever it's called. 1 3/4" nut with forward shifted scalloped bracing. Not exclusive to GC but only 100 made I believe. MSRP was $2499 so a fair used price should be no more than 50% if it's in excellent condition. GC is a little high especially if it's got some play wear. It's bare bones for sure. But the build quality is there. And so was the voice on the one I had.
At $2k the new (2017) D-28 is a cut above IMHO. But the DRC is still a lot of guitar at it's price point...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-17-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
The DR Centennial is a lot of guitar for the $. I had one for a while. Adirondack VTS top paired with EIR. But basic and no frills. Satin finish with no back binding or center strip. Neck profile like a "21" without the dart or delta or whatever it's called. 1 3/4" nut with forward shifted scalloped bracing. Not exclusive to GC but only 100 made I believe. MSRP was $2499 so a fair used price should be no more than 50% if it's in excellent condition. GC is a little high especially if it's got some play wear. It's bare bones for sure. But the build quality is there. And so was the voice on the one I had.
At $2k the new (2017) D-28 is a cut above IMHO. But the DRC is still a lot of guitar at it's price point...

That’s a fair assessment I think. Maybe the VTS is what I was loving. It just sounded mature. The D-28 did sound a cut above, but the Centennial sounded EXACTLY like what I’d want to hear from a guitar that has opened up. So cool!

The big question for me is scalloped vs straight. Conventional wisdom makes me automatically think that scalloped is supposed to sound better, but maybe not!
Old 10-17-2018, 04:48 PM

I think being straight is perfectly fine.
Diversity is a good thing.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:50 PM

It all depends on what your ears tell you. I like my straight-braced D-18 better than my other scalloped D-18's. But I don't really think that it's that simple, there are a multitude of other factors involved.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojangles View Post
It all depends on what your ears tell you. I like my straight-braced D-18 better than my other scalloped D-18's. But I don't really think that it's that simple, there are a multitude of other factors involved.

Right?

I mean I’m hearing more grunt and strength in the sound. It’s pretty eye opening as I don’t have a lot of experience with straight Bracing. I’d say scalloped to my ears does sound more open, but at the expense of midrange and sustain.

Wow, consider me shocked.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

I agree...trust your ears. I have straight ('62) and scalloped braced (post 2102) D-18's and love both. So it's very subjective at best. No right or wrong...just different.

Old 10-17-2018, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

I definitely prefer the unscalloped bracing on the 2018 D28...I played it back to back with a 2018 HD28, both with new Lifespan mediums. I had the room to myself for hour and a half yesterday and on more than one occasion comparing the two and always preferred the D28 over the HD. More punch, phatter mids and highs on the D28.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
I definitely prefer the unscalloped bracing on the 2018 D28...I played it back to back with a 2018 HD28, both with new Lifespan mediums. I had the room to myself for hour and a half yesterday and on more than one occasion comparing the two and always preferred the D28 over the HD. More punch, phatter mids and highs on the D28.
I agree Eric...the 2018 Reimagined HD-28 had a "thinness" to it's voicing compared to the new 2017 D-28. Just a matter of time before the new straight braced D-28 is built to in house dealer specs with VTS tops....both Sitka and Adirondack. Even more to love!

Old 10-17-2018, 06:03 PM

Hum, I have this uncontrollable urge to drive three hours to Detroit tomorrow morning
Old 10-17-2018, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
Hum, I have this uncontrollable urge to drive three hours to Detroit tomorrow morning
Road Trip/NGD?

Old 10-17-2018, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Putting forward shifted straight bracing on the d-28 is the best thing Martin has done to that guitar in a long time. An awesome combo. I was never a huge standard d-28 fan, but these new ones are definitely a step up.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:12 PM

Nothing wrong with straight bracing.

Let your ears & heart decide.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
I think being straight is perfectly fine.
Diversity is a good thing.
That’s very generous of you, Tico!

Wade Hampton “Straight But Not Narrow” Miller
Old 10-17-2018, 07:04 PM

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion