The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-16-2018, 12:51 PM

Default Anyone try Barbera Pickups?

Opinions? Thoughts?
Buscarino Starlight nylon, Martin 000C-RGTE, Godin nylon duet ambiance, Breedlove Bossa Nova, cedar/EIR, Breedlove SC-20, cedar/walnut, Ovation Nylon LX1773, CA Cargo, CA GX, Larrivee 00-03, sitka/hog
Old 10-16-2018, 02:56 PM

I'm yet to try one on a steel string, but i'm very pleased and impressed with the sound on a nylon crossover I built and installed it in. It definitely is its own pickup sound though, it has its own characteristic, it doesn't sound like an SBT, nor a UST or a magnetic. That means there is probably some going to be plenty of subjectiveness as to whether or not it's liked. It is a very dry sound, would probably pair well with a mic.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:39 AM

Thanks David! I'm getting a Buscarino nylon that has the Barbera in it. Is there another nylon string pickup you would recommend?
Buscarino Starlight nylon, Martin 000C-RGTE, Godin nylon duet ambiance, Breedlove Bossa Nova, cedar/EIR, Breedlove SC-20, cedar/walnut, Ovation Nylon LX1773, CA Cargo, CA GX, Larrivee 00-03, sitka/hog
Old 10-17-2018, 11:33 AM

John Buscarino was one of the first builders I came across who was using the Barbera, and that was a while ago, so if he's still using them thats got to be a good sign. His demo's and a few emails from him were what convinced me to try the Barbera in the first place.
Personally, i'd say at the moment there are probably 3 pickups i consider for nylon string guitars, 2 of which I haven't used. The Barbera, the Ultra Tonic pickup, and Dazzo's. I do use Dazzo's in my steel strings and i'm very happy with that solution but haven't used them in a nylon string guitar, I am very intrigued by the Ultra Tonic system, it looks like a brilliant idea, and obviously i've used the Barbera and it did exactly what i need it to do and it sounds great. My next nylon string build will have a pickup and it will be one of these 3. My choice may simply come down to how experimental I want to be
Old 10-18-2018, 02:54 PM

I appreciate the info!
Old 10-18-2018, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

I have one in a steel string - samples on my pickup test page, I believe. I like the pickup, the only UST I have personally liked so far.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:22 PM

Thanks Doug!
Old 10-19-2018, 01:59 PM

I currently gig with the Godin Duet Ambiance nylon which has a Fishman undersaddle with digital mic imaging that I really like. But I'm thinking the Buscarino with the Barbera should be a step up all around.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:35 PM

Pierre Bensusan uses this in his signature Lowden. Check out his demo; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApqAcE5zL94

Olson SJ CED/IRW, Charis SJ SITKA/MAP, Charis SJ ENG/IRW, Charis GC Thinbody SITKA/IRW, Lowden O25c, Larrivee C19, Larrivee OM-03R, Voyage Air VA-OM 04
Old 10-21-2018, 10:54 PM

Interesting, I’ll check it out. Thx!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification