The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-08-2018, 05:16 PM

Default In Ear Monitors For Solo Performance

I've got a series of gigs coming up at a venue that only uses in ear monitors. They said they have some Shure IEM's there that I can use but I have a feeling they're going to be the style that's held in place just by sticking them in your ears. I hate those kind and so I'm bringing just a regular set of earbuds that have the hook that goes over the top of your ear. These to be exact: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Now I know that real, high end IEM's are supposed to be way better than simple earbuds but since I'm just a solo performer, will it really matter that much? And if so, does anyone have any recommendations for IEM's that hook over your ear instead of just sticking into them? Thanks.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:44 PM

The reason IEMs seal off the ear canal is to keep all external sound out (typically 25-30dB of attenuation of external sound)...making it possible to keep the monitor volume the lower & protecting your hearing.

As a solo performer you should be fine with whatever earbuds you're comfortable with. Just don't let them get too loud if you're keeping them in all night. You can damage your hearing.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 02-09-2018, 12:03 PM

Just be aware that using any type of of headphones with a mic and a TRRS connector are sure to give you problems when hooking up to an in ear headphone connector. I have a little TRRS to TRS adapter for exactly this reason.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:38 PM

Just thought I'd update this by saying that I ended up switching over to in ear monitors for all of my gigs and it's been one of the best choices I've ever made concerning performance. It did take a little getting used to but now I'm more relaxed, my guitar playing is better, my singing is better, I don't break fingernails as often, and I no longer have to carry around a floor monitor. For years, like most people, I had simply dismissed the idea of using IEM's. Looking back I have no idea why and wish that I had switched sooner.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacm81 View Post
Just thought I'd update this by saying that I ended up switching over to in ear monitors for all of my gigs and it's been one of the best choices I've ever made concerning performance. It did take a little getting used to but now I'm more relaxed, my guitar playing is better, my singing is better, I don't break fingernails as often, and I no longer have to carry around a floor monitor. For years, like most people, I had simply dismissed the idea of using IEM's. Looking back I have no idea why and wish that I had switched sooner.
Exactly my experience as well. Very happy about not carting around floor wedges and worrying about feedback at bizarre shaped stages. I use them for practice sessions as well as live gigs so I can play and sing consistently. If it works at home I know it will sound good at the gig. Train like you fight...fight like you train!

I also like using a QSC touchmix to record practice sessions and live shows, then export to Studio One 3 for quick mixdowns and a nice library of tunes to have for critical listening and/or sharing.
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification