The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 11:44 AM

As much as I think the Lyric sounds great I am most intriqued by the boundary mic characteristics that enabled me to get totally balanced necks and strings from a single placement in my Doubleneck. It is so counter intuitive it is freaky. Wonder if Baggs really realizes what the implications were for multi-stringed, necked instruments. I am enclosing pictures of my placement, it probably doesn't interest many but I find it the true miracle of this pickup for me. Didn't find this in their instillation guide!

2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

Last edited by Doubleneck; 02-01-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:12 PM

I think the Anthem is a pretty great system (have heard it live and demoed it a bit in stores). All pickup or a lot of mic depending on venue, sound system etc.

I know the Lyric is supposed to be a single source solution but if it is even better than the Anthem mic then it seems incredibly easy (for Baggs) to integrate it into an Anthem II system (would LOVE to see this next!).

The Lyric sounds fabulous to me in the samples but having had some truly horrific experiences with the K&K when I am not in control of sound would never let me show up to a show like that without a very feedback resistant system as an alternate. Twice in the last six months if I wouldn't have had a Highlander equipped guitar with me as an alternate I may not have been able to perform!

Regardless -- am looking forward to the next gig reports on the Lyric!

Old 02-01-2013, 02:14 PM

Steve,

Is the B-Band UST in the pic simply for a size comparison? I'm wondering if you pulled it out of the saddle slot to test and see if that improved the guitar's acoustic tone and/or sustain.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
Steve,

Is the B-Band UST in the pic simply for a size comparison? I'm wondering if you pulled it out of the saddle slot to test and see if that improved the guitar's acoustic tone and/or sustain.
The guitar came with B Band, I did think about exactly what you are saying. Of course the Lyric has been in the guitar all of a week so its a little early to pull the B Band. The B Band could ultimately be a dual source. Got to give it some time. Of course the saddles are set up for the B Band so if they are pulled, I would have to probably add shims? Not sure what the upside acoustically would be? Assume someone on the forum has done it. I think the B Band has adhesive underneath, probably not going back after you pull them.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 02-01-2013, 05:04 PM

Steve,

FWIW, I've installed and removed at least half a dozen B-Band USTs and none of them had adhesive. (Its the B-Band AST that uses an adhesive for mounting.) Nevertheless, there's probably some small risk of damaging the UST when removing and re-installing. Better safe than sorry if you're not familiar with that kind of work. As you've observed, you may well need the B-Band in there (as a backup pickup or part of a dual source) in the future.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:37 PM

Interesting I have had the saddle off numerous times and that b band just seems stuck in the bottom of the slot? Was not agressive however trying to lift it up. Trouble with B band is you have to use their preamps, just limits you as you design a dual source. But I honestly doubt that I will go there now, the single source Lyric seems so good. I love Doug Young approach, let's try it with the attitude that maybe this really can single source and be satisfying. I look at all the stuff you have to deal with when you dual source. Yesterday with the Lyric I just plugged in.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson

Last edited by Doubleneck; 02-01-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:08 PM

DN, thanks for sharing your experiences with the Lyric. I'm amazed that it picks up all the strings evenly. That's awesome!

Do you have any means of recording a small sound sample?

Fingerstyle Guitar ~ Hammered Dulcimer ~ Clawhammer Banjo ~ Diatonic Harmonica ~ Anglo Concertina

Old 02-01-2013, 08:57 PM

Yes I have a Blue Digical Spark and Garage Band on my Ipad, made one Utube with the Doubleneck acoustically already. You want to hear it on the acoustic amp? Doug knows what he is doing and has better equipment, I'm just having fun. Steve
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson

Last edited by Doubleneck; 02-02-2013 at 02:09 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:26 PM

i just came back from my second gig using the Lyric. Buzzardwhiskey, as he said, was in the first one. i'm quite impressed. no feedback at all at any time (not even at the soundchecks). they were small crows but i think it is a good example. all you get is a clear, natural sound. maybe, for me, i'll add a magnetic pickup (or my beloved Dazzo) to add some bottom end and more 'in the face' percussion. but it is only because my style needs it. if i were to play clean fingerstyle guitar, i wouldn't need it (just rise a little bit the lows and you are all set)

don't use reverb with this mic. it already gives you PLENTY of air. i used it with the presence almost turned down, because my guitar needed it, but it can be certainly different on any other guitar . the guitar was a luthier Jesse Stearn OM with redwood top (AMAZING guitar by the way)

what impressed me most was that it felt really natural to play with it live. it felt like i where at home.

i got it from lrbaggs at the NAMM show, so i'll be doing some videos as soon as i return to my studio (in Spain) by Wednesday (i'm in the middle of a tour). i have some videos of the concerts too, but we'll have to wait until next week as i'm not able to upload them now

i had one more (borrowed) guitar with K&K PWM and i have to say that i liked the lyric much better. i'm not saying that they are bad pickups at all, but sounded a bit dull and not as detailled in comparison (as it is expected when you compare with a microphone)
Wes Lambe 8-strings
Avalon dread
...and some old fender, basses, violins, harps...
Old 02-02-2013, 04:41 AM

OK, Doug, you've convinced me. Just ordered one to put on a Larrivee OM-05 that K&K (my pickup of choice for years) just doesn't work well in. Can't wait to try it out.

THANK YOU for the as always excellent work on recordings and comments!

David Berchtold
David's CDs
Old 02-02-2013, 09:24 AM

I am so tempted to pick one of these up. Most pickups have some sort of installation procedure that takes some work or becomes permanent. The Lyric on the other hand is something that I could install myself which is something I really like. Having said that, I would love to hear how this thing sounds with a variety of playing styles and in different venues. Quite a lot of the personal reviews that I have heard are from players that play finger style or quieter venues. It would be interesting to hear how it works in a louder setting like a pub. I would also love to hear how it sounds with strumming.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I am so tempted to pick one of these up. Most pickups have some sort of installation procedure that takes some work or becomes permanent. The Lyric on the other hand is something that I could install myself which is something I really like. Having said that, I would love to hear how this thing sounds with a variety of playing styles and in different venues. Quite a lot of the personal reviews that I have heard are from players that play finger style or quieter venues. It would be interesting to hear how it works in a louder setting like a pub. I would also love to hear how it sounds with strumming.
I had some brief strumming on the samples I posted, and also on my pickup page. I know what you mean, tho. It'd be nice to hear someone like guitaniac with his extremely agressive strumming style with a lyric. For what it's worth, as a 99.9999% finger style player, what has impressed me is how well the lyric seems to handle strumming. When I do my standard test set for my pickup page, most pickups do at least ok on the fingerpicking example, then many do less well on the tapping, and virtually all fall apart on my simple strumming example. The lyric, if anything, seems to sound best on the strumming. At least for me.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberch View Post
OK, Doug, you've convinced me. Just ordered one to put on a Larrivee OM-05 that K&K (my pickup of choice for years) just doesn't work well in. Can't wait to try it out.

THANK YOU for the as always excellent work on recordings and comments!

David Berchtold
Your welcome, but I don't want to convince people to buy anything! I'd say the only thing I'm convinced of so far is that the lyric is different from most pickups.
I've tried so many pickups, I've gotten a little jaded, you can pretty much predict how they will sound - just like the others... This one, at least, is different.

My guess is that people's results will vary widely depending on the guitar, playing style, venue, and the rest of their gear. And I suspect that people's experience will vary more than with most pickups.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I am a flatpicker - strummer works great for me. But what you are saying about instillation is so true. Took me minutes to install, I just half heartedly stuck it on so I can move it around this weekend to see if I can get a better spot. But the risk with this pickup is actually pretty minimal. You can pull it in a minute as well, sell it used if you don't like it. My bet is you will not be selling. Personally I think super glued pickups, UST that need to be drilled and fitted in the slot etc. are going to have a tuff time going up against this ease of instillation.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson

Last edited by Doubleneck; 02-02-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
I am a flatpicker - strummer works great for me. But what you are saying about instillation is so true. Took me minutes to install, I just half heartedly stuck it on so I can move it around this weekend to see if I can get a better spot. But the risk with this pickup is actually pretty minimal. You can pull it in a minute as well, sell it used if you don't like it. My bet is you will not be selling. Personally I think super glued pickups, UST that need to be drilled and fitted in the slot etc. are going to have a tuff time going up against this ease of instillation.
Its interesting to note that the Baggs folks have their usual warranty disclaimer (that the warranty is void if not installed by an authorized LR Baggs dealer) on the Lyric installation guide. It does seem, however, that the ease of installation, and the minimal alterations to the instrument, are most fortunate fringe benefits of this pickup design.

Question for Steve & Doug: How many spare sets of mounting tape did you get with your Lyric systems? My Anthem systems only included one spare set.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification