The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 10-01-2018, 08:02 AM

Default NBD... Gold Tone AC-1

I’ve been playing more with my little home-made banjo, and it’s shortcomings were becoming more obvious...
So for my birthday I decided on the Gold Tone AC-1 after reading a bunch of reviews and watching some YouTube vids.

This is a 200 dollar instrument. But....Gold tone appears to have made an effort to give you a lot of bang for the buck. Unlike a lot of instruments in this price range, it comes nicely set up from the factory. Head tensioned properly, frets dressed/crowned, action pretty close to ideal.

Part of the low price is the innovative one-piece composite rim which has no actual tone ring.
Very understated looks with an all-black theme... I like it. Banjo is very light, loud, sounds good... Can’t complain.
If you want a resonator, Gold Tone has an easily-attached one... Also composite.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
I’ve been playing more with my little home-made banjo, and it’s shortcomings were becoming more obvious...
So for my birthday I decided on the Gold Tone AC-1 after reading a bunch of reviews and watching some YouTube vids.

This is a 200 dollar instrument. But....Gold tone appears to have made an effort to give you a lot of bang for the buck. Unlike a lot of instruments in this price range, it comes nicely set up from the factory. Head tensioned properly, frets dressed/crowned, action pretty close to ideal.

Part of the low price is the innovative one-piece composite rim which has no actual tone ring.
Very understated looks with an all-black theme... I like it. Banjo is very light, loud, sounds good... Can’t complain.
If you want a resonator, Gold Tone has an easily-attached one... Also composite.
Congratulations on your Gold Tone! I've only heard good things about this brand. Enjoy!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 10-02-2018, 11:07 AM

Default I've owned a couple...

and liked them. Sold the 17 fret tenor and the 5 string standard I had. I now have a mostly GT 5 string I put together from GT parts (wl cloud inlay-neck and wl-pot and GT white ladye tone ring) so I consider it a GT WL-250 even though it is not officially one, I installed decent Gotoh tuners, generic hardware and skin head. Sounds great to me. Nice choice...cheers,

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments