The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-25-2020, 08:28 AM

I've been watching through Paul Davids' theory videos on YouTube and reading through here as well: http://openmusictheory.com/contents.html

I have a background in non-guitar music (played alto sax in marching band, concert band, jazz band through high school) so I can read sheet music and understand some of the practical bits but was lacking in the underlying more abstract concepts. Watching through videos with a guitar next to me so I can pick it up and practice concepts immediately, and pausing to draw out diagrams/write out scales and stuff has been helpful for getting it all to click.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:46 PM

Dr. B Music Theory

Aimee Nolte

Signal Music Studio

Justin

Reddit’s Music Theory sub

Rick Beato (although I wouldn’t start here, Rick is extremely knowledgable, but he assumes you already know quite a bit)

2018 Furch D31TSR
2008 Martin OMCRE
1992 Takamine EAN20C
1996 Fender Telecaster w/ Barden Nashville set
1986 Charvel Model 5
2005 Art & Lutherie Ami
1980ish Hohner copy of a 'burst
Old 01-28-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughingboy68 View Post
Rick Beato (although I wouldn’t start here, Rick is extremely knowledgable, but he assumes you already know quite a bit)
You CAN start there. Rick's been producing videos for years, just check his channel's archives for his earlier content.

Here's Music Theory basics for the beginner: intervals, scales, chords, the circle of fifths, analysing keys and secondary dominants.

Depending on your objectives, this could be the only theory lesson you'll need. Consider this one semester's tuition in 40 minutes, so take it slow.
Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503

Last edited by Sonics; 01-28-2020 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonics View Post
You CAN start there. Rick's been producing videos for years, just check his channel's archives for his earlier content.

Here's Music Theory basics for the beginner: intervals, scales, chords, the circle of fifths, analysing keys and secondary dominants.

Depending on your objectives, this could be the only theory lesson you'll need. Consider this one semester's tuition in 40 minutes, so take it slow.
That's all good info, he knows his stuff, but that's not much of a lesson. If indeed that was one semester's tuition, I'd be asking for my money back.

You're right that there's a lot crammed into that 40 minute session (much of it very good) but - at the beginning at least - he tends to skate over some important details. It's not just the speed of delivery - because you can pause while you think about it, or try playing it - it's that it's all a little sketchy, with some terms not defined or explained.

I.he way he explains chords is especially confused - not wrong, just kind of tangled up, not clear, saying some things that don't need saying and not saying other things that would help.

Again, he knows it all and is using correct terminology but - and this is typical of Beato in other videos of his I've seen - he too easily slips into taking some knowledge for granted. A subconscious clue to this is how many times he says "OK?" - which is a little silly as we can't respond, and he gives us no time anyway. If this was an actual class, and I was an actual beginner, I'd often be thinking "no that's not OK, can you go back a bit and explain that?" The constant use of "OK?" from a teacher - like a nervous tic in Beato's case - is a sign of impatience, that he knows all this stuff so well he takes it all for granted and has forgotten what it's like not to know it. He is consciously struggling to spell it all out properly, but is constantly worried (subconsciously) that maybe something is being missed...

Believe me I know, because - as a teacher myself - I find myself doing this sometimes: lapsing into an "OK?" and then seeing eyes glazing over in front of me. Clearly not OK! Go back, try a different tack! IOW, any time any teacher feels an urge to say "OK?" - and not wait for an answer - they need to stop and take stock. Ideally the teacher should ask the students to repeat what he/she's just explained, to check they understand it. (I realise a youtube video can't do that!)

I do admire Beato for his honest urge to explain, which clearly comes from a real love of music and of its theory and mechanisms. His informality is appealing too. And it's good that he demonstrates the sounds (make you play the sounds too!). But his imprecision and kind-of-jazzy laziness irritates me.

When he gets on to his "lydian and phrygian triads" (8:30) - forget it! Those are his own invented terms, not conventional language. (He does admit they are his, to be fair.) If you're just learning about intervals - you really don't need to understand any of this. They are not "basic sounds".

The keys and circle of 5ths section is a lot better. He rips through it pretty fast but - like one guy in the comments section says - that's what the pause button is for!
I think actually once he gets to the more complex issues he's a little better (as long as you can slow him down). But you may still have a lot of questions hanging around from the intervals/chords section.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write