The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-21-2019, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Default Opinions on crack in top...

This is an Alvarez MF80c for stupid cheap ($300 shipped) on Reverb that I'm considering purchasing. Obviously, it's stupid cheap for a reason - there's a crack in the upper bout by the neck:

There's also some interesting coloration/streaks on the top which may be normal but might be indicative of humidity issues?:

The seller has this to say:

Quote:
Used discontinued Limited Edition Alvarez Masterworks guitar in good condition. Has a small hairline crack on body top, but it does not go deep into the wood. This guitar sounds amazing, and it has recently been set up.
Ordinarily, the crack would really turn me off, but I've been wanting a Masterworks, my budget is constrained, so if this is an easy fix then I might go for it.

I welcome your opinions! Also, if anyone has neck specs on this model, I'd appreciate it - I can't seem to find any on the web. Thanks!
Old 01-21-2019, 09:07 AM

Personally, I’d pass on it.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:10 AM

If it was me, personally, I would find that accumulation of plastics and electronics in the upper bout much more bothersome than the crack... I venture to guess that the sonic impact of the crack is likely to be zero. The location is exactly where one of my guitars developed one, back in the day when I didn't know about humidification. I had it repaired by a tech and never lost sleep over it again.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 01-21-2019, 09:11 AM
Musical minimalist

To me, it looks like it's probably a weak spot in the grain.....exacerbated by normal stress on the top in that area (and maybe) being a little dried out - no way of telling that unless the guitar was in hand.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

The crack, most likely, can easily be repaired. If it was a guitar that I wanted, I'd pay half of what I'd pay without the crack. You just might br able to get that guitar cheaper, offer 200.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:14 AM

With all the guitars for sale why that one would be attractive escapes me. Price? Add in the cost to repair and it isn’t a bargain. Don’t fix it, you have a guitar with a crack in it.

If that’s ok, then it’s fine.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 01-21-2019, 09:18 AM

Cracks that are in the vicinity of the top block can quickly lead to a guitar with a very high and unplayable string height. Cracks along the top block aren't "easy to repair".

Pass unless you want a very expensive set of spare tuning machines.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, all, for your quick responses! Sounds like it'd be better for me to pass on this one (especially since I've discovered that it has a 1 11/16" nut - I'm wanting nothing less than 1.75").

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair