The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-16-2015, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Default Flamenco Negra/Tom Prisloe/Pavan

Does anyone own or have any experience with Tom Prisloe's Flamenco Negra model? I asked on the DelCamp classical forum and they sort of ignored me.

I used to own one of Tom's TP30 models (spruce) and it was a great guitar but I've been playing a Cordoba GK studio and like the lower action and quick response of the flamenco guitar but prefer the darker woods of the classical.Tom's 'negra' sounds like like the perfect guitar for me but I can't find anyone who has one or has even played one. My research has led me to believe that this guitar would work well for both styles as well as the Chet Atkins/John Knowles/Jerry Reed type music I play as well as some of the beautiful Irish and Scotch tunes that I've discovered lately. I'm also open to suggestions to other flamenco negra guitars in the $1250 to $2000 USD range. I realize the Cordoba neck is slightly narrower but that's not an issue for me as I play many different types of guitars on a regular basis and can easily handle the full width neck. My only deal breaker is NO ELECTRONICS - if I want louder I'll use a microphone. As I get ready to turn 70 later this year, I'm guessing this will probably be my final major guitar purchase and I want to make sure I get it right. As there is no local shops (except GC & Sam Ash) to try things, I'll have to order online and hope for the best. Another option is getting my friend Augie LoPrinzi who is close by to build me exactly what I want but that could get pricey even though he is a friend!

Thanks for any suggestions!!
Old 04-16-2015, 08:36 AM

You might try searching at Foro Flamenco. Small community of pretty dedicated flamenco oriented players there and they seem to come in at all levels. My quick look says the Pavan's are factory builds to a US builder spec. No great revelation there. I have had success with Navarro flamenco guitars. At least one post on the Foro directs a Pavan inquiry to Navarro.

Navarro makes a student flamenco negra using palo escrito for back and sides that kind of bridges between traditional cypress and rosewood in terms of sound. This is a reasonably priced instrument that is usually considered to be better than it's student designation would indicate. Maybe not cosmetic perfection but good sound.

The US distributer is Ron Hudson at Memorial Music in Houston. There are other places to buy them and Ron even throws em up on Ebay occasionally.

Sorry not much help on Pavan.

hunter

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical