The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-24-2015, 03:48 PM

Default Classical guitar for acoustic player

Though owning many nice acoustic guitars and electrics I always find myself picking up my mom's beat up classical from the 70's. It's the one without a case, crazed finish, high action and crummy tuners that are falling off. There is something pleasing about it's soft nylon tone. Love picking it up as I'm walking by and seeing what comes out

The last few months I've been getting into music that is actually played on a classical (Sun Kil Moon/Mark Kozelek). As a result instead of just noodling on this old classical I am actually trying to learn songs on it.

What is a decent classical guitar I can get for around ~$500 used (or less )? Don't need solid woods, but it would be nice. Looking for something that is easy to play and is built half decent. Always down tune to various opening tunings btw.

As I know very little about classical guitars I don't know a "Lowden" classical from a "Cort" one. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

EDIT: Why do you guys measure scale length in metric units??? That just messes with my mind!
Old 01-24-2015, 04:19 PM

I don't know all the options out there, but did obsess quite a lot about my classical guitar purchase about 10 years ago. I ended up going with a roughly $1000 Spanish built classical (a Burguet) that was just wonderful (I found that when one got into about the $1000 - $3000 range the classicals were fundamentally different, noticeably better instruments on average, though at that time I was not finding that the ones in the higher part of that range were necessarily any better than the one I got).

However, if I had been restricted to approximately $500 there is no doubt that I would have chosen a LaPatrie. These are made by the same folks (Godin) who make Seagull steel string guitars, which are well known as being genuinely decent, nice sounding, nice playing guitars for modest prices. I thought the LaPatrie guitars were quite nice.

Others will surely differ in my opinion on this, but I have not liked any of the Yamaha classicals I've had opportunity to play in that price range (some seemed just horrid) - but maybe I just haven't played the right ones yet. (I do like some of the lower priced Yamaha steel string guitars though.)

I also recall liking a Hoffner I ran across, and there are others that some folks here really like that I have not had opportunity to play. I'm sure they will contribute here with their suggestions.

Personally though, I doubt you'll go wrong with a LaPatrie.

Shopping for classical guitars can be hard. Most stores don't carry any sort of decent selection (only one store in the Minneapolis area did when I was doing my shopping), though I think you are more likely to find a selection of classicals in the price range you are considering than in, say, the $1000 - $3000 range.

As with other guitars, play in person before you buy if you can, but my general impression has been that the Godin instruments tend to be pretty predictably decent.

A nice classical guitar is a wonderful thing, and classical guitars are wonderful for much more than classical music.

Last edited by wcap; 01-24-2015 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:23 PM

I also think a La Patrie (Etude or Concert) in your price range is a fine choice.

Martin D-15M
Taylor 420 Maple
Alvarez MD80
Alvarez MD80/12
Old 01-24-2015, 07:01 PM

I am in the same path like you. Having strumming some steel string guitars and suddenly diverted back to the classical for its pleased and charming tone.

Yamaha NTX series for narrow nut width - crossover

Yamaha CTX series for traditional nut width

Yamaha CG series are OK

Cordoba fusion series - crossover.

Cordoba C5 , C7, C9 , C10 are also OK and in your price range.

I personally like Yamaha for its consistent sound and built quality.

Cordoba guitars has to try each for your own tone taste. They are all different. I found sometime a c7 sound better some C9

Just MIHO
Old 01-24-2015, 09:02 PM

I'll add that I also have an all laminated wood Takamine classical that I bought about 25 or 30 years ago. It doesn't sing like my nice Spanish built classical (most notably it does not have the same dynamic range - it doesn't have the same volume), but it is really quite a nice sounding, good playing guitar and is well built. I haven't played any other Takamine classicals than this, and I don't know what they sell for these days, but based on this one I think Takamine classicals would be worth considering too.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

Used Cordoba Fusion is a good bet.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire&Rain View Post
I also think a La Patrie (Etude or Concert) in your price range is a fine choice.
+1.

Hi Chris. La Patrie is one of the family of Godin guitar brands manufactured in Quebec, along with Seagull, Simon and Patrick, etc. Those may be some acoustic brands you've heard about before. Well respected. The La Patrie easily falls within your budget and you can usually find them used. Your local Long & McQuade will have a few so you should try some out.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:57 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I like the idea of La Patrie guitars. I am sure the local Long & McQuade will have a couple to try.

Flipguitar_pro thanks for the suggestion but that's a bit out of my budget. How is the C7 or C9 though?
Old 01-26-2015, 03:11 AM
Charter Member

Chris, a used Fusion 12 maple is right in your price range and it's going to be REALLY hard to beat at 500 bucks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cordoba-Fusi...item43d6b3cff3

There ya go
Old 01-26-2015, 06:45 PM

Cool

Chris: look at online YouTube video of how ALVAREZ YAIRI are made. If you can find one to play, you will have to consider them...a winner for sure!

Good luck with your search.

Alvarez Yairi CY-127-CE
Alvarez Yairi CY-140-CE
Old 01-26-2015, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

Default Classical guitar for acoustic player

I have a La Patrie Concert and it is a wonderful guitar. All solid wood and it has a raduised fingerboard which makes it easier coming from playing a steel string. I also have Cordoba C3M which I keep at my mom's house and though it's not as comfortable to play, it's very well made and has a nice tone.

Last edited by Blueser100; 01-27-2015 at 12:16 AM.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:57 AM

ditto on la patrie...AND the art & lutherie ami nylon...the ami nylon has become my primary acoustic guitar, period....i rarely wanna use or play any other acoustic...and yes, art & lutherie is another branch of godin's lovely guitar family tree... ...the ami is essentially la patrie's parlor-size classical with less bling.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:15 AM

I also concur with La Patrie. I have the Presentation. All solid wood, hard to beat in this price range.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
+1.

Hi Chris. La Patrie is one of the family of Godin guitar brands manufactured in Quebec, along with Seagull, Simon and Patrick, etc. Those may be some acoustic brands you've heard about before. Well respected. The La Patrie easily falls within your budget and you can usually find them used. Your local Long & McQuade will have a few so you should try some out.
My first guitar was a La Patrie Étude. Great guitar. Served me very well.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

"Classical guitar for acoustic player"

Just because I'm a bit of a stickler (i.e., pain in the butt!) about words, let's not forget that classical guitars are acoustic guitars, too. (Unless, of course you stick a pickup in them.) Lots of people who really know better lapse into this usage.
-Bob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical