The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-16-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
As far as current American Super Car the new Tesla Roadster (Supposed to be Coming 2020) should qualify.
At that speed , it should be able to blow out the flames .
Old 01-16-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
Only problem with the DeLorean, the 1.21GW power supply don't not come standard...

I'm a huge McLaren car fan from the first F1 I saw on TV as a teen and the subsequent domination at LeMans. It was only after that I learned of Bruce McLaren and the team's previous racing successes. The 720S is truly amazing, and I can't wait to see the SpeedTail come to fruition...
Bruce McLaren , Denny Hulme and Jim Hall are the names of legends in the CanAm series . Mark Donohue came along later on . CanAm was pure racing until it was ruined by rules . Lola was an asterisk .
Old 01-16-2019, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
At that speed , it should be able to blow out the flames .
Ha! took me a second

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 01-19-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGWelch View Post
For my $0.02, I say the AC Cobra was the first "true" American Supercar...
I would agree here, if I didn't personally look back a few decades earlier to the Duesenberg. Race cars to limos, all were known for performance (you bought the chassis, then arranged for the kind of body you wanted on it). J or SJ (supercharge) models, produced from the late 1920s 'til about 1934 IIRC.

America's answer to RR, Mercedes, Bugatti...or so said the popular press looking back when I was growing up in the '50s and '60s. My grandfather - a Packard man until they stopped making them - had nice words for Stutz, Cord, and others (that he could never afford), as well, though none of those attained the performance cachet as the "Duesie" did.

Dirk

Last edited by dirkronk; 01-19-2019 at 02:32 PM. Reason: "Bugatti" wasn't supposed to have an "l" in front.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
As far as current American Super Car the new Tesla Roadster (Supposed to be Coming 2020) should qualify.
So is there anywhere on this planet where you might actually be able to drive at 250 mph?

Racetracks/Bonneville salt flats etc don't count, has to be a street/road/highway kind of deal.

Last edited by frankmcr; 01-19-2019 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
So is there anywhere on this planet where you might actually be able to drive at 250 mph?

Racetracks/Bonneville salt flats etc don't count, has to be a street/road/highway kind of deal.
Actually Lots of places in the western 1/2 of the US where the roads can have very long straightaways with little or no traffic... BUT it could get a bit expensive if police are there also.

And then also the oblique nature of question misses the point, given that is completely true of any car that goes over 80 MPH.

The 0-60 in 1.9 seconds is much more to the point, and 620 mile range, but probably not at 250

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 01-19-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
And then also the oblique nature of question misses the point, given that is completely true of any car that goes over 80 MPH.
Nah, autobahns have long stretches where you can go any speed you want (with an "advisory" top of 130 kph).

I wouldn't blink at an ad saying a car can go 100 mph. I just think 250 is far enough out there that it prompted my question.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:

Forget the place . You first need tires capable of that kind of speed without delaminating .
Old 01-19-2019, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Nah, autobahns have long stretches where you can go any speed you want (with an "advisory" top of 130 kph).
Ya , actually you can't really go "any speed you want". You can go any speed you can get away with. Because if the authorities decide your speed is excessive for the conditions you will get stopped . And BTW 130 kph is 80 mph

Not to mention there are definitely already cars prowling the autobahn and the US and elsewhere that boast top speeds of 180-240 mph.
But once again top speed is not the only point of a performance car or "supercar" which is in fact what the OP and discussion is actually about.
And the world is your oyster when it comes to going from 0 to 60 and in that car you can do it in 1.9 seconds

Quote:
I wouldn't blink at an ad saying a car can go 100 mph. I just think 250 is far enough out there that it prompted my question.
Ok, you are certainly free to pick an arbitrary speed at which to question, or assume is "far enough out there", but in terms of "supercar" it is still oblique and can we also say rhetorical ? After all the discussion is about supercars not practical cars.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 01-19-2019 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Forget the place . You first need tires capable of that kind of speed without delaminating .
Excellent point tires flying apart at 250 would indeed be disquieting !!!!!

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 01-19-2019 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Ya , actually you can't really go "any speed you want". You can go any speed you can get away with. Because if the authorities decide your speed is excessive for the conditions you will get stopped . And BTW 130 kph is 80 mph

Not to mention there are definitely already cars prowling the autobahn and the US and elsewhere that boast top speeds of 180-240 mph.
But once again top speed is not the only point of a performance car or "supercar" which is in fact what the OP and discussion is actually about.
And the world is your oyster when it comes to going from 0 to 60 and in that car you can do it in 1.9 seconds

Ok, you are certainly free to pick an arbitrary speed at which to question, or assume is "far enough out there", but in terms of "supercar" it is still oblique and can we also say rhetorical ? After all the discussion is about supercars not practical cars.
And by the way surveys show the 130 kph is routinely exceeded.

And by the way I didn't pick 250 mph on any arbitrary basis, I picked it because Tesla advertises it as the Roadster's top speed.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:52 PM

Default Ya gotta go for the gusto!

Quote:
Hey, anybody freespirited enough to go 250 is freespirited enough to do it on the rims!
Old 01-19-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Hey, anybody freespirited enough to go 250 is freespirited enough to do it on the rims!
An interesting statement .
The fastest of the fast on land run on aluminum tires/wheels .
I watched at Daytona as a rider blew a rear tire in the Tri-oval . He managed to keep the bike upright even though he was doing somewhere in the area of 120-130 MPH while turning .
Losing a tire at 250 MPH on an automobile would likely destroy most of the corner of the vehicle that it was once mounted onto . Not exactly something that any sane person would want , particularly on the street .
Even motorcycle manufacturers install rev limiters that keep their street machines to under 200 MPH .
Old 01-19-2019, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
And by the way surveys show the 130 kph is routinely exceeded.
Does not change the fact that 80 MPH is the advised speed limit. And it is completely irrelevant as to weather an advertised top speed is 250 or 100

Quote:
And by the way I didn't pick 250 mph on any arbitrary basis, I picked it because Tesla advertises it as the Roadster's top speed.
What else is questioning 250 and not questioning 100 top speed , but an arbitrary choice ?

This is becoming circular given I did answer your original question. There are in fact all kinds of "places on the planet" where you could drive 250 and yet that is still not the point of the ability to do so in a performance car. Is there something unclear about this simple fact ?
Of course it is patently obvious that in practical terms someone would probably not be able to utilize the entire performance capability of such a car , so what ? practical is not the point . Most of us will never utilize the entire performance capability of the guitar/s we own and play, what does that matter ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 01-20-2019 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

I don't think I can get in that without spilling my coffee. Where do you put the groceries?

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic