The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-15-2019, 07:02 AM

best way to sale is dont over price it, music gear doesnt sale like it once did, you always hear people saying- look at the great buy i got- a think a used market fair price is the best option
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 01-15-2019, 08:48 AM

Craigslist is a good place to start. Free and easy to post. You just have to weed out some tire kickers and a few scammers, but with patience almost anything will sell there.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realbluesman View Post
I always like to try the local CL (no fees, no packing hassles, instant cash, etc) first and if no sale, then I resort to Reverb....
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkepler View Post
....Cash only. Meet at the local library or something.....
Right, craigslist to start, but meet at a neutral location. Lots of guys meet up at their local police station!

We have a local newspaper with a free classified section, and it's even more popular than craigs locally. That's another possibility for you, possibly.

If that doesn't move, I'd go with reverb next. Reverb sale fees are ~3% while Ebay fees are 10%, I believe, except for guitars, which are close to 3% (thanks for competition from reverb). You'll want to get a paypal account, although reverb processes credit cards for another ~3% (similar to paypal). The only pain with reverb is packing and shipping, but that's the "cost" of doing business. Despite the horror stories, problems with a reverb sale are rare.

I did the same thing - sold off a number of instruments to fund a really nice guitar or two. It was worth the hassle. You can do it! Best of luck!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 01-15-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasinaz View Post
Craigslist is a good place to start. Free and easy to post. You just have to weed out some tire kickers and a few scammers, but with patience almost anything will sell there.
Thanks, I think that’s the best way to start on the more offbeat stuff. I’ve played with Facebook Marketplace, but that seems to cater to really low-end stuff. And some of the interactions have been very weird.

As far as pricing is concerned, I’ll start at what I think is a fair price. If no nibble, I’ll come down. A wise man once told me that you might get less then you ask for something, but you’ll almost never get more.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
Right, craigslist to start, but meet at a neutral location. Lots of guys meet up at their local police station!

We have a local newspaper with a free classified section, and it's even more popular than craigs locally. That's another possibility for you, possibly.

If that doesn't move, I'd go with reverb next. ebay fees are 10%, I believe, except for guitars, which are close to 3% (thanks for competition from reverb). You'll want to get a paypal account, although reverb processes credit cards for another ~3% (similar to paypal). The only pain with reverb is packing and shipping, but that's the "cost" of doing business. Despite the horror stories, problems with a reverb sale are rare.

I did the same thing - sold off a number of instruments to fund a really nice guitar or two. It was worth the hassle. You can do it! Best of luck!
Thanks. I’ve heard about the “neutral location” thing, but of all the stuff I’ve bought on Craigslist (never sold anything), only one seller insisted on a meeting in a parking lot. I know that if I’m buying something like a guitar, I want to sit and play it a little. That’s hard to do in a parking lot - particularly during the winter. But it’s good to keep in mind. Some of those viola players can be a rough crowd!
Old 01-15-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realbluesman View Post
I always like to try the local CL (no fees, no packing hassles, instant cash, etc) first and if no sale, then I resort to Reverb. I have had pretty fair luck with both...knock on wood.
That's my approach as well. I think CL is fine if you are reasonably vigilant and willing to just say "no" to buyers that seem off. Reverb gets you a much bigger pool of potential buyers.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

ebay is now charging 3.5% on guitars and amps and I think pedals? Violas?

https://www.ebay.com/rpp/sell-guitars

Last edited by rrgguitarman; 01-15-2019 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:38 PM

Default viola

I would look at the consignment option-if it is a midlevel.
There a number of stringed instrument stores in Nassau County and Suffolk on LI that may be able to help.

As others have said, barring that-go with CL and cast a wide net in the greater NYC area.

Wish I had the extra money, I would be interested.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabby84 View Post
I would look at the consignment option-if it is a midlevel.
There a number of stringed instrument stores in Nassau County and Suffolk on LI that may be able to help.

As others have said, barring that-go with CL and cast a wide net in the greater NYC area.

Wish I had the extra money, I would be interested.
That’s a great idea. I’m on the wrongs side of Manhattan for Nassau/Suffulk, but I’ll bet there are places on the Jersey side as well. I’m also going to get in touch with a chamber workshop and a community orchestra that I played with - maybe they have some leads.

I really appreciate all the great suggestions I’ve gotten in response to this question. Thanks, everyone!
Old 01-15-2019, 03:41 PM

If there are any music schools your way, as well. I live in New England and we have a few performing arts/music high schools in addition to the conservatories, etc.

Viola is a wonderful instrument, miss playing it.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:52 PM
Guest 728

I've had success selling on the AGF classifieds, Reverb, and Ebay.

AGF is cheapest but tends to take longer. Things sell fastest on EBay, but it costs the most. Reverb is right in between in both regards. I've moved a couple of bicycles on Craigslist, but have never been able to sell a guitar there.

To be perfectly honest, I don't like the face-to-face interaction or the inevitable haggling that Craigslist entails. I think it's best for smaller-ticket items.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabby84 View Post
If there are any music schools your way, as well. I live in New England and we have a few performing arts/music high schools in addition to the conservatories, etc.

Viola is a wonderful instrument, miss playing it.
Me too, though I played much more violin. It gets an undeserved bad rap, maybe because its cousins are flashier. But there’s nothing else like that sound.

I only got to play the viola for a short time, and only played one real concert when orthopedic issues (cervical stenosis and arthritis) made it pretty much impossible to even hold a viola or violin. Physical therapy helped a lot, but I’ve lost so much ground on both violin and viola that it’s just frustrating to pick it up nowadays. Thankfully, I can still play guitar and am learning banjo.

You’re almost making me want to keep it... But... there’s that guitar waiting for me to buy it. (Little voice in my head saying, “Would it really be so bad to have both?” Bad voice! Bad, bad voice!!!
Old 01-15-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Silone View Post
Some of those viola players can be a rough crowd!
They are noted for being Violant.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:52 PM

Default If we're heading in that direction . . .

Viola Jokes, Part One (of three!):

http://www.mit.edu/~jcb/jokes/viola.html
Old 01-15-2019, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Many conservatories have pre-college divisions, and this includes Juilliard, Manhattan School of Music, and Mannes. You might give them a call and see if there is any interest from either the program or if they have students who might be interested.

There’s not a huge market for violas, but even a store that does student rentals might be interested.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion