The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-09-2015, 07:52 AM

Default NGD Yamaha G-255SII - have questions

Bought this guitar from a co-worker, and really already falling in love with it. It's my first classical guitar. It's approx. 30 years old, made in Taiwan per the label in the sound hole.
The top is solid cedar, and the b&s are rosewood. But, are the b&s solid rosewood or laminate? Looking at the back from the sound hole, it looks like it is rosewood on the inside. But I'm not enough of an expert to swear by it. (Wishful thinking?).
I think I read a few days ago that Yamaha made these both in Taiwan and somewhere else in the Far East, but can't locate that web page now.
Anyone have opinions on this model? Since it's my first, I don't have much to compare it with. So far it sounds pretty good to me.
I'm just interested in actually knowing about the guitar.
Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks,
Bob
Old 05-09-2015, 09:47 AM

I had the same model, and the B&S are laminate. Confirmation was 100% after I put two sound ports on each side of the heel. The sound was fine before that, put the sound ports offered much more volume for me. The neck was a bit thick for me, and I planed it down quite a bit. The guitar was a great value in my opinion, and stayed with me longer than most.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:50 AM

Frank, thanks a bunch. Because of the original price, I kinda figured as much. But I'm really enjoying playing it, and it sounds great to me.
The co-worker I bought it from had it since it was new in 1981, but he had just bought a Ramirez to go along with the Cordoba he had and since he and I take care of our equipment, he thought it would be going to a good home.
So it has worked out very well.
Again, much appreciated on the info you gave me.
Thanks again.
Bob
Old 05-09-2015, 01:26 PM

Frank, there was some talk in one or more of the places I was checking that said the neck was not mahogany. Any ideas if that's true? Also, the fretboard is very dark, making me think it's ebony - ideas on that? And last but not least, the bridge looks like very dark rosewood - your thoughts?
Thanks again, And anyone can answer if they have input.
Bob
Old 05-10-2015, 11:08 AM

Hi Bob...
The neck was a mystery to me, but I can tell you it required quite a bit of grain filler once it was shaved thinner. Its true color is much lighter than it would appear with the stained finish Yamaha used.

I'd simply have to assume the fretboard was rosewood, and I've always been fine with that as a material. The only cracked fretboards I've run across were ebony, but I've also seen some very fine ebony fretboards as well.

I converted the tieblock into a 12-hole, in order to improve the break angle (and just because I could ). The drilled wood was clearly rosewood, and the 12-hole configuration worked great.

Hope this helps.....
Old 05-10-2015, 11:50 AM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

They used a lot of "nato" on later (also made in Taiwan) guitars for the necks, wonder if this might be the same stuff? It's a pretty lightly colored wood before staining, based on what I have seen. Yamaha has a really extensive database somewhere that includes all such information - I'll try to track down the link later today or tomorrow.

Update: the database is hosted at: https://www.yamaha.com/apps/guitarar...itarchive2.asp
From the search I did, after clicking on "acoustic guitar," here is the result returned:

SPECIFICATIONS:
G255SII
Year(s) Sold: 1981-85
Original MSRP(US$): $375.00
Top: Solid Cedar
Back / Sides: Indian Rosewood
Neck: Nato
Fingerboard: Indian Rosewood
Bridge: Indian Rosewood
Tuners: YTM-51-1

Any solid wood is specified in the description, and you can see the other details there.

Last edited by dosland; 05-10-2015 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Update with website for database and info returned.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical