The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-09-2015, 07:10 PM

Great write-up on your guitar page Rudy. The string info is very helpful as I experiment with my new crossover.

YouTube: http://www.YouTube.com/wfbrown1234
Old 04-10-2015, 09:13 PM

Microscope, I don't understand how, if you looked at the Cordobas, you missed their C9 and C10 crossovers. Both full size, neither has cut-away or electronics. The C9, cedar over mahogany can be had for about $850, and the C10, spruce over rosewood for about $1000. I haven't read anything but positive reviews about either.

I almost purchased one, but instead opted for a new Pono hybrid, instead.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by microscope View Post
Hello,

Other than the Cordoba full-sized classical/acoustic hybrids which are cutaway with electronics - can anyone think of any classical/acoustic hybrids that won't brake the bank? Let's say under $1,000?
Minus the cutaway and electronics would be better.

Thanks
From reviews available through normal web searches, I found out about and ordered an Alvarez AC65HCE. It has all the "hybrid" features you seek, including electronics for under $440. It's available from several different retailers online for about the same price with free delivery.

http://alvarezguitars.com/guitar/ac65hce/

I also normally play steel-strung guitars with 1 3/4" necks and wanted an affordable option to see what these nylon-hybrids were all about. They didn't have them in-stock locally, so I just ordered one. With a 30-day return policy from GC, I can test-drive it for awhile to see if it's a keeper. Or not. Tracking system says delivery this Friday, so I'll review it then.

The Pono Hybrid also caught my attention initially, but the price tag was just a little too steep for now. Good luck in your search!

mAXEd

Last edited by maxed; 04-14-2015 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Added link and corrected grammer.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
We want what we want. I understand. I would like to throw in on the hybrid discussion in general. I play electric, steel string acoustic and nylon string acoustic and acoustic electric. I play em in all shapes and sizes, fingers only, pick and hybrid picking. Beyond a doubt, the best playing nylon strings I own are those with conventional nylon string necks. I find the wide spacing, wide fat neck, and flat board all fit together really well with nylon string applications. Caveat I only play nylon with fingers, no picks please.

Even though picking up a hybrid will breed a quicker sense of familiarity, the little extra work it takes to get used to a classical/flamenco neck will pay off in playability later as your technique catches up. And, it is not unusual to find the better sounding guitars are not the hybrids. Especially if electronics and amplification are not of interest.

hunter
Agree 100% with hunter. There's a reason classical guitarist choose wide, flat necks. They are at the pinnacle of finger style playing and the classical guitar is their weapon of choice. (smile)

Dave
Old 04-14-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
Agree 100% with hunter. There's a reason classical guitarist choose wide, flat necks. They are at the pinnacle of finger style playing and the classical guitar is their weapon of choice. (smile)

Dave

The "pinnacle"? Well how about that! Learn somethin' new every day.....

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 04-14-2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
The "pinnacle"? Well how about that! Learn somethin' new every day.....
It would be hard to argue objectively that that's not true, although I'd listen to counterpoint from some conservatory-trained jazz guitarists.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucefulton View Post
It would be hard to argue objectively that that's not true, although I'd listen to counterpoint from some conservatory-trained jazz guitarists.
I agree....it indeed is "hard to argue objectively".....

2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
Old 04-14-2015, 05:02 PM

When it comes to fingerstyle, I go to the flamenco guys. Deadly right hands. Search up some Vicente Amigo clips.

hunter
Old 04-14-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
When it comes to fingerstyle, I go to the flamenco guys. Deadly right hands. Search up some Vicente Amigo clips.

hunter
Technically, yes, but the repertoire is more limited than that of modern classical guitar. I have no idea of what point ukejohn is making. Modern classical guitar literature is the most complex of all the guitar styles and the technical demands on guitarists demand the physical characteristics of the modern classical guitar including flat wide neck. The literature simply couldn't be played on acoustic steel string guitars for technical reasons. If he has arguments to the contrary, I'd be entertained to hear them.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Technically, yes, but the repertoire is more limited than that of modern classical guitar. I have no idea of what point ukejohn is making. Modern classical guitar literature is the most complex of all the guitar styles and the technical demands on guitarists demand the physical characteristics of the modern classical guitar including flat wide neck. The literature simply couldn't be played on acoustic steel string guitars for technical reasons. If he has arguments to the contrary, I'd be entertained to hear them.
Most of the time, neither do I.....

Here is a nice video of Michael Chapdelaine playing classical on a steel string....it can be done:

and this one....

and....

2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2

Last edited by ukejon; 04-14-2015 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
Most of the time, neither do I.....
Michael Chapdelaine is outstanding, and Bach is always a challenge and at the top of the repertoire, but, and I say this with all respect to Bach and Michael, and I am sure he would agree, 21st century classical guitar repertoire is at an entirely different level.

Really.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Michael Chapdelaine is outstanding, and Bach is always a challenge and at the top of the repertoire, but, and I say this with all respect to Bach and Michael, and I am sure he would agree, 21st century classical guitar repertoire is at an entirely different level.

Really.
Historically, much of the baroque literature was played on steel strung instruments, including chitaronne, and other variants. See some of my messages in other threads.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:47 AM

If you just want the nylon sound and feel and are not going to spend your life in the strict classical tradition how about a Cordoba Fusion 12/14? I have one and love it. 1 3/4 neck, slight radius, cutaway, on board electronics, om size. Anything can be played on it but the nylon sound really shines on Latin and classical pieces. Around 700 dollars. Comes with a pretty good padded gig bag. Check their web site

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Tags
hybrid