The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-13-2022, 10:24 AM

Default LL56 vs LS56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McGriff View Post
Definitely want the LL grunt. https://youtu.be/3ysZLTlxS6k
I'm fortunate to own both (guitars are my "bass boat," so to speak, so I've opened the wallet for the ones I want).

Started with an LJ56 (from Music Zoo) and was awestruck at how good it was. Had to try the big gun, the LL (from Music Zoo I think) and was blown away even further. Definitely a larger sound than the LJ but not overwhelmingly so.

Being a fan of smaller guitars, as well as a smitten Yammie 56 series fanboi, I got the LS56 from Sweetwater to complete the trifecta. Sold the LJ shortly thereafter since it overlapped the LL sonically quite a bit.

To the chase: the LS has the large-guitar sound, not boxy at all. A pleasant surprise to me since I feared it might have 00 traits. Turns out, Yammie's LS is about an OM in size so it can hold its own. That noted, the LL, a "jumbo" in Yammie parlance, is the King of Beasts in terms of volume and presence.

I was playing the newly-restrung LS last night with fingerpicks and I savored the tonal beauty but if I were going to a jam, the LL would get the nod.

I hope this post is informative! Regards, eljay
Old 03-13-2022, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
I hope this post is informative! Regards, eljay
Very helpful, indeed. My order for the LL56 will stand.
David
Old 03-13-2022, 10:33 AM

Coincidentally, I noticed a 56 for sale on GC Used Online the other day. The ad with the picture and price were still up although the guitar had sold for around $3,750. Tax would have been added onto the final price.
Old 03-13-2022, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Coincidentally, I noticed a 56 for sale on GC Used Online the other day. The ad with the picture and price were still up although the guitar had sold for around $3,750. Tax would have been added onto the final price.
It is an interesting data point when the used price of a "production" guitar (vs. single luthier/small shop), is within about 10% of a new one. And the current one on Reverb is priced within 5% of new. I don't think I have ever seen that dynamic before. But, I should add, that is when compared to new from Sweetwater. While their purchase price is now $4200, the MSRP is $7663.80. Don't remember ever seeing a 47% discount either - though I understand some dealers sold Martins at 40% off - before the recent pricing paradigm shift.
David

Last edited by Deliberate1; 03-13-2022 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-13-2022, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
It is an interesting data point when the used price of a "production" guitar (vs. single luthier/small shop), is within about 10% of a new one. And the current one on Reverb is priced within 5% of new. I don't think I have ever seen that dynamic before. But, I should add, that is when compared to new from Sweetwater. While their purchase price is now $4200, the MSRP is $7663.80. Don't remember ever seeing a 47% discount either - though I understand some dealers sold Martins at 40% off - before the recent pricing paradigm shift.
David
They pricing based on playing the availability game, thinking some will not want to build to order, wait, etc…Some probably will not and take the 10% below…

As for the MSRP. That number is meaningless in reality in NA. What a silly number that is.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 03-13-2022, 02:16 PM

Hey a fellow Canuck! I’m just a big fan of yamahas voicing. Like you Ive owned pretty much all name brands from Collings, SCGC, Martin Taylor Goodall and many many more. The non scalloped x bracing gives a wonderful balanced tone that doesnt get boomy and muddy. For the longest time my only guitar as an LL16 that I picked out of 5 that my shop had. It’s just awesome. Great necks as well. I do get tennis elbow with dreads tho so I’m at a crossroads. Just lucked out on an amazing sounding and playing Eastman E6OM. I wanted an LS model but I wasn’t sure if the added width would bother me. I really really want an FG5 or FS5. Pretty rare these days

The LL26 to me is their most handsome model. Anyhow keep us posted.
Old 03-13-2022, 04:26 PM

Thank you all for chiming in on this thread. Great to see all of the enthusiasm for these guitars.

A little more background on my reason for wanting one of these. I was stationed in Japan back in the 90s and have some great memories of being there. Other than a Takamine I had for a short time, I’ve never owned a Japanese guitar. I’ve been eyeing the new Red Labels and the AC5R and actually have an FGX5 on hold at sweetwater. As I really thought about it, the guitar I really want is the LL. I had a nice Breedlove on consignment at a local shop and when I went to discuss the Yamahas with the local dealer, he offered me a trade value that made ordering the LL36 a no-brainer. Can’t wait to get it in!

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 03-13-2022, 05:39 PM

Appreciate you last post, Matt. I was starting to feel bad that the conversation was drifting too far away from the substance of your initial post. I'll be pleased to read about your NGD when the time comes. I predict you'll be smitten!

FWIW, my Yamaha experience has all but spoiled me for anything but a handcrafted, tap tuned guitar. Consistent with same, I have a Yairi OM-size guitar made from old-growth Honduran mahogany on order. Hoping to have the same good NGD experience with the Yairi as the Yamahas provided me.

In the meantime, we can try taking patience pills.
Old 03-13-2022, 07:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
Appreciate you last post, Matt. I was starting to feel bad that the conversation was drifting too far away from the substance of your initial post.
Agree. Matt, thanks for sharing your plans. Over the past few years, there have been a few threads about Yamaha guitars, and it typically turns into a bona fide love fest. I think we have some happy tunes ahead of us. Will look forward to your NGD.
David
Old 03-13-2022, 07:41 PM

There is something special about Japanese small shop guitars. I have an Alvarez Yairi Masterworks DYMR70 sunburst several years ago. Yairi suffers by association with the Alvarez name like Yamaha with it pedestrian products..But my all solid Yairi is really a great guitar, fully equal to my Martin D-18 MD and my CEO-7. The Yairi might not sound like a Martin, but its a great, versatile sound in its own right

I once owned a Yamaha LS-400 in black, a Paul Simon model. An absolutely fabulous fingerpicker which recorded exceedingly well.
Old 03-19-2022, 06:42 PM

Default LL26 is on the way!

Hi all, first post here as I just joined today! I discovered JP Cormier's website a few months ago and have become a big fan. I really enjoy his weekly show on youtube (Sting Theory) and while I can't even approch his capabilities on guitar (and all other stringed instruments), I can almost keep up on the beverage side of things as he and Chris answer viewer mail each week. Anyway, it is good fun.

When I saw JP's review of the "holy trinity", it really did a number on me. So much so that I hit the button on Reverb to buy the LL26 that has been advertised for the past few weeks (months) on Reverb at Citadele (Fantasy) Music, Halifax this past Friday. I think this will be guitar #16 (mostly electrics) and I don't need one but the way I look at it, I can keep investing any extra cash in my TSFA in ETFs and continue to loose money or I can buy a beautiful, handmade Japaneese guitar that I will enjoy and cherish for years to come. While it might not appreciate too much over the short term, I think in 10-20 years when I can no longer play (currently 65), my family will at least have something wonderful to pass down or sell as they see fit.

This Yamaha thing started for me last summer when my son picked up a 1970 FG-180 that was at the curb being thrown away. My son didn't know anything about it and neither did I at the time. I cleaned it up and did some research and was amazed at how nice this laminated box plays and sounds.

When a 1974 FG-580 was advertised locally last month, I just had to have it. The FG-580 is in wonderful condition (except for some dings on the soundboard) and I love the way it sounds, plays and feels. I have a 2002 Martin DC-16, 1993 Taylor 420 and 1976 Ovation Ballader and am looking forward to adding the LL26 to my collection of "investments".

Anyway, thank you JP Cormier, a true Canadian folk guitar hero and sales guy extraordinaire!
Old 03-19-2022, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayP View Post
Hi all, first post here as I just joined today! I discovered JP Cormier's website a few months ago and have become a big fan. I really enjoy his weekly show on youtube (Sting Theory) and while I can't even approch his capabilities on guitar (and all other stringed instruments), I can almost keep up on the beverage side of things as he and Chris answer viewer mail each week. Anyway, it is good fun.

When I saw JP's review of the "holy trinity", it really did a number on me. So much so that I hit the button on Reverb to buy the LL26 that has been advertised for the past few weeks (months) on Reverb at Citadele (Fantasy) Music, Halifax this past Friday. I think this will be guitar #16 (mostly electrics) and I don't need one but the way I look at it, I can keep investing any extra cash in my TSFA in ETFs and continue to loose money or I can buy a beautiful, handmade Japaneese guitar that I will enjoy and cherish for years to come. While it might not appreciate too much over the short term, I think in 10-20 years when I can no longer play (currently 65), my family will at least have something wonderful to pass down or sell as they see fit.

This Yamaha thing started for me last summer when my son picked up a 1970 FG-180 that was at the curb being thrown away. My son didn't know anything about it and neither did I at the time. I cleaned it up and did some research and was amazed at how nice this laminated box plays and sounds.

When a 1974 FG-580 was advertised locally last month, I just had to have it. The FG-580 is in wonderful condition (except for some dings on the soundboard) and I love the way it sounds, plays and feels. I have a 2002 Martin DC-16, 1993 Taylor 420 and 1976 Ovation Ballader and am looking forward to adding the LL26 to my collection of "investments".

Anyway, thank you JP Cormier, a true Canadian folk guitar hero and sales guy extraordinaire!
Welcome to AGF, and welcome to the LL 26/36/56 club!

You made a tremendous choice!

Cheers
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 03-19-2022, 11:02 PM
AGF Sponsor

Yammie is such an awesome company. I predict you'll be jazzed beyond belief.

sm
Old 03-20-2022, 12:32 AM
Charter Member

this thread caught my eyes and i skimmed thru quickly so i'm sure i missed a lot. not sure if any of this was mentioned but i don't have an issue relisting the info.

i've owned a LS36 for a little over 2 years(purchased at Sweetwater). very nice instrument, well built, very different tone than anything else i own(Taylor, Martin, Collings, Larrivee).

Here is the NGD thread if anyone wants to see it:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=564678
(i have no idea what i said in this and i'm not going to read it, so i would think my thoughts are still the same as what is written there).

the 36 is like a deep body OM size. i just pulled mine from the case and measured these specs:
nut width 1 23/32"
string spacing at saddle 2 3/16"
lower bout width 15"
depth at endpin 4 3/4"
pretty sure the tuners are rebranded Gotoh(makes sense coming out of Japan)-very smooth tuning and precise

its a very comfortable instrument-even though i'm usually not drawn to anything deep body. the neck feels really dry and slick, its a very pretty guitar but classy. there is nothing i would change. tone is not bass heavy but overall very balanced. i think it shines more for fingerstyle but works very well for light to medium strumming. especially pleasing in dropped tunings(where mine lives).

the neck set is excellent and the fretwork was also. due to the precision of build i set this up with probably the lowest string action of anything i own-its extremely low and buzz free. nothing more to say other than they are very nice instruments, everything works as intended and they have a solid, precise feel to everything on the instrument. mine has a light/thin nitro layer and its beginning to every so slightly sink-thats not an issue and actually something of a preference. nice wood selections used.

the case is different than the typical TKL or Taylor hardcase. elegant and has a dedicated fit to the instrument. nice outside covering of a medium brown material.

Here is a good video that shows evidence of the tonal spectrum in the LS36 model:
Old 03-20-2022, 09:59 PM

After a long day of hiking, the weary traveler finally reached the summit and beheld the breathtaking vista spread out before them.

Last edited by 7NationArmy; 02-20-2024 at 09:39 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion