The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-17-2008, 10:58 PM

Default Recording to click....

Hey Guys. I Have a few songs im working on and one of them has a lot of finger picking in it. im having alot of trouble keeping on time with the click track. ive tried loops, eight notes, everything but i just cant get it right. in some parts i do want to add some loops or maybe a few midi tracks and i need to be on tempo is there anything you guys could suggest.

I did get one take where i was gennerly on tempo but it sounds like i wasnt sure if i was on time so my timeing was early and late at times. loops dont really sound right

How much latency does it take to get some one off time?

anything guys?
Old 05-18-2008, 07:02 AM

Hey TylerS,

I sometimes have trouble staying with a click track, too. I like using a click track to keep the time, but there are some songs that I just can not use it on.

All I can suggest is to practice, practice, practice. However, like I said, there are some songs that have changing tempos that don't lend themselves to a steady beat. In those cases, I just play without the click. It typically takes me two or three takes for each additional instrument, but I find that once I get in the "groove" of the song my "variable" timing is reproducible.

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 05-18-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1131 View Post
All I can suggest is to practice, practice, practice.
+1 for that solution
max
Old 05-18-2008, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

I've found that using a Cabasa or shaker sound for the click can also help keep things more "human" sounding and easier to follow... it sounds more organic, and helps with allowing for feel because the sound has a slower attack.

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 05-18-2008, 11:04 AM

Thanks guys. Your Advice is very useful

i may try to record to a drum loop or a shaker or somthing.

most of the time i dont have trouble with click tracks its just im used to playing with a band. and having a drummer that gets the groove going.

thanks guys.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:09 AM

Practice with a metronome, and the suggestion of using a drum loop or shaker is great advice.

It's hard to play loose and on the mark at the same time, but keep at it. If you have serious goals with this stuff, it's something that will put you ahead of most.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:02 PM

The only times I use the click tracks are when I have to put drums and such in there. Since I do drums with a program, timing is key. But if it's just me and the guitar, I don't worry about it that much.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:44 AM

I had trouble playing to a click track. Got a drum machine, much easier to stay on beat vs. a plain click track.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerS View Post
Hey Guys. I Have a few songs im working on and one of them has a lot of finger picking in it. im having alot of trouble keeping on time with the click track. ive tried loops, eight notes, everything but i just cant get it right. in some parts i do want to add some loops or maybe a few midi tracks and i need to be on tempo is there anything you guys could suggest.

I did get one take where i was gennerly on tempo but it sounds like i wasnt sure if i was on time so my timeing was early and late at times. loops dont really sound right

How much latency does it take to get some one off time?

anything guys?
why not lay down some a drum track to keep the timing for you. its much more natural to play to a drum track than a click track and there's lots of cheap drum software that can easily take care of it for you.

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 05-19-2008, 12:27 PM
In The Pocket

Everyone above gave great advice... I usually use some other type of "click track" when I record, instead of the a normal, sterile click... Congas or other world drums are my favorites... Also, after all is recorded, you can tweak the track by moving the guitar track back onto, or slightly behind the beat. I find that I am usually rushing just a bit.. That's me... Also, if I have a good take and there are just a couple rough spots, yet there were a lot of good things about the track, the individual "weak spots" can be moved and placed in the pocket while editing, or you can just punch in for those problem areas...

- Devin
Isaiah 38:20
---------------------
Devin @ MySpace
Devin's Guitars
Old 05-19-2008, 03:07 PM

Lots of good advice, above. However, the comments about drum tracks being easier or more natural than a click make me wonder if the truth is that the click offers very little variance, while most drum tracks are more "forgiving."

Depending on your recording goals, you may need to continue wrestling with the click track, as that is the most common method.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell