The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-19-2008, 07:06 AM

Default Looking for advice on recording

I am a budding song writer and guitar player. I want to start doing some recording in my home. I would like to add some percussion tracks and such to my guitar playing and vocals. Where do I start? I have heard that much can be done computers these days.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey View Post
I am a budding song writer and guitar player. I want to start doing some recording in my home. I would like to add some percussion tracks and such to my guitar playing and vocals. Where do I start? I have heard that much can be done computers these days.
Hi Geoffrey...
First of all, hello and welcome to the group. We are glad you joined us.

Computers and recording work well together. If you intend to add tracks later, there are several routes to arrive there, the most straightforward being to buy a USB or Firewire interface with mic preamps in it, and a pair of mics. They will usually come with the recording software included to do semi-sophisticated multi-track recording directly to the computer.

Another option is to buy a console or stand alone recorder which is a mixer and recorder with a built in recording capability (and sometimes CD burning from the unit as well). While more analog-like, some people find it easier to use. They are more difficult to punch-in and edit parts on, but work very simply.

The external interfaces are reasonably priced (under $200) and a pair of ok mics cost about $100 (MXL sell a pair for $100 that work fine).

Hope this helps kick off the discussion...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-19-2008, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Geoffrey...
First of all, hello and welcome to the group. We are glad you joined us.

Computers and recording work well together. If you intend to add tracks later, there are several routes to arrive there, the most straightforward being to buy a USB or Firewire interface with mic preamps in it, and a pair of mics.

Can you recommend a specific interface(s)? I will be travelling a lot this year and dont want to drag my 8 track along, but I want to be able to record on my computer using my better mics. They wont work without some sort of an interface/preamp/mixer. I will just use Audacity for software.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjar View Post
Can you recommend a specific interface(s)? I will be travelling a lot this year and dont want to drag my 8 track along, but I want to be able to record on my computer using my better mics. They wont work without some sort of an interface/preamp/mixer. I will just use Audacity for software.
Hi banjar...
What I ''drag'' along when needing regular interface capability is my Zoom H4 field recorder and interface, which has a pair of Neutrix inputs, phantom power and multi-track capability as well as stand-alone two track capability with the internal mics which are surprisingly good. It can be operated on 2 AA batteries, including providing phantom for up to 25 minutes in one of my tests. It also comes with a camera tripod adapter plate and the power supply.

I have done work for hire with the unit and a pair of Peluso CEMC6 mics since it also provides 48Volt phantom. Here is the link to a recording I did as a test with the Pelusos and the H4...using the power supply and only the H4's internal preamps. It was recorded direct to mp3 @ 196kbps (reduced to 128kbps by SoundClick).

Peluso & H4 - click

Here is a song I did for a friend with his Martin D-41 in a single take in the living room with the internal mics. I just edited it in a simple editing program to trim the ends and boost the overall volume and add a touch of reverb. Single take with internal mics on my H4 mounted on a tripod...this is a song he wrote for his daughter's wedding and knew he'd never make it through the song if he performed it live (we would have all have needed Kleenex).

I Go With You - click

Here is a duet my giggin partner and I did on the spur of the moment one morning in the living room before he headed to work. I stuck the H4 on a tripod and aimed one mic in the general direction of each guitar. Directly to mp3 and uploaded to my website. Trucks were driving by and if you hang onto the end, you will hear me ask ''airplane'' since one went over (but didn't get onto the recording). Mark played first and third verse melody and the lead on my Kronbauer and I did the other part with my Olson.

California Dreamin - click

I have used the Zoom H4 three ways, and it works great. I've used it as a multi-track interface, as a standalone recorder with external mics, and as a standalone with the internal mics (by far my most frequent use of it).

The Lexicon Lambda is a good reasonably priced unit for multi-track with more capability for adjustments. Both come with software and I believe both work with Audacity (I'm sure I've had them hooked up with Audacity at some point).

There are a lot of outboard interfaces around, and I like the Lexicon because it's been around long enough to seem to indicate there will be service and support if required.

Hope this helps...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 05-19-2008 at 08:18 AM. Reason: more
Old 05-19-2008, 10:24 AM

I wonder if there is a cheaper solution, as I'm not looking for top quality. I just want better quality than I get with a computer mic. How about a USB mic like this? I probably dont need dual mics for what I'm doing.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...one?sku=272015
Old 05-19-2008, 10:57 AM

Larry, PM sent.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell