The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-14-2008, 09:55 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Default Electronic Musician Inexpensive LDC mic comparison

Hey, recordists! Electronic Musician has an inexpensive large diaphragm condenser microphone shootout online right now, HERE . The price point is for these mics is $100. The review liked a couple of them but finished off by saying:

"I also feel that the budding studio owner who wants a large-diaphragm mic that records everything equally well will have to spend more than $100. However, inexpensive LDCs make it possible to obtain several mics for specialized situations, such as choosing one that best suits a particular vocalist, even if it is less than optimal for other studio tasks. And having a collection of low-cost mics allows you to record more musicians and different types of instruments simultaneously."

So, nothing comes free but there are possibilities here. It makes me want to hear these mics!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-14-2008, 01:48 PM

Whenever someone does this kind of article there are always responses along the lines of "Why didn't you include [brand/model x] in your review?"

Personally, in this type of review I wouldn't have bothered with the Behringer B1 or the Marshall, because there are better mics in this exact pricerange. Immediately coming to mind are the Studio Projects B1 and Audio Technica AT2020. I have no doubt that either of these highly reviewed mics would have performed better in the test than the MXL and Behringer. Behringer especially is in the uber low budget gear business and can't really compete (except maybe some of their low end mixers, which actually aren't bad.)
Old 05-14-2008, 06:06 PM
Guitar Gourmet

We'll just say I posted this for the people who are interested in it, shall we?

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell