The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-02-2017, 05:26 PM

Default ISO powered speaker

Looking to pick the brains of your smart people here. I'm in search of a powered speaker, but let me give you a bit of background on why:

I have an Fishman SA 220 that I plug into a passive mixer. My acoustic bandmate also plugs into the mixer and runs into his own in-line system with 1000 watts. I'm finding that the SA just doesn't really have the power that I need for the place we play. We have a drummer behind us. Also, we're kind of shoved into a corner, and because the Fishman is made to act as a monitor when put behind you, I get feedback because I'm trying up the volume.

Therefore, I'm looking for a powered speaker in the range of $250-300. Is there anything that you would recommend with enough wattage? I also understand that I'll need a monitor, be it a floor monitor, or if there is a mic monitor that you like, feel free to opine on that as well.

Thanks for reading my long, rambling and perhaps incoherent message.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:58 PM

Why don't the two of you run into your bandmate's speaker? What kind of speaker does he/she have? You could use the Fishman as a side wash monitor or you could put it on the floor angled up at you--assuming that won't be a problem given that you're in a corner.

Louis
Old 05-02-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
Why don't the two of you run into your bandmate's speaker? What kind of speaker does he/she have? You could use the Fishman as a side wash monitor or you could put it on the floor angled up at you--assuming that won't be a problem given that you're in a corner.

Louis

I agree! Can you give us a little more info about his system? It seems that using the SA220 with supplemental speakers isn't always that successful.

Perhaps consider running your mixer into the the Turbo sound IP1000. I think it will be a challenge to find something that powerful for under $400.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/IP1000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-02-2017, 06:28 PM

Apologies for asking questions instead of responding, but I am confused about your setup. Why do you plug the Fishman into the mixer? Does the Fishman's output go from the mixer into the existing powered speaker?

Regarding a powered speaker purchase, what kind does your bandmate have? If his is more than your budget, could you use the Fishman as a monitor (instead of buying a separate monitor) and purchase a match for your bandmate's speaker so you'd have a pair, and run everything through the mixer?
Old 05-02-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I agree! Can you give us a little more info about his system? It seems that using the SA220 with supplemental speakers isn't always that successful.

Perhaps consider running your mixer into the the Turbo sound IP1000. I think it will be a challenge to find something that powerful for under $400.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/IP1000

Funny that you bring up that system, because that's exactly what he has. We both plug into a passive mixer. Through the SA, I run it through the AUX output. He seems to get this great sound and power through his pointed toward one side of the room, while mine seems to come up short on the other.

I guess I could buy one of his systems?

Also, thanks for the responses.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ10 View Post
Funny that you bring up that system, because that's exactly what he has. We both plug into a passive mixer. Through the SA, I run it through the AUX output. He seems to get this great sound and power through his pointed toward one side of the room, while mine seems to come up short on the other.

I guess I could buy one of his systems?

Also, thanks for the responses.

Yup. Buy a second one. Run everything into the mixer and right and left outs to the iP1000s. I guess good huh? :-)

Old 05-02-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Yup. Buy a second one. Run everything into the mixer and right and left outs to the iP1000s. I guess good huh? :-)

Well that was pretty easy!
Old 05-02-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Well that was pretty easy!

Yes, we internet "geniuses" have no trouble solving problems with solutions twice your stated budget. :-). But, in all seriousness, that's a 1000 watt RMS amplifier and crazy number of speaker in the iP1000. You might be able to compete using a $700 12" 2-way powered speaker on a stick. But, at that point, spend a little extra and you've got a nicely balanced stereo (dual mono) system with the rest of the gear you have. If you have the outboard mixer gear settled, it's hard to beat those TurboSound arrays for that use. Remember to dial back the DSP in the built in mixer. It can sound artificial with too much spatial effect.

Cheers

Old 05-02-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Yes, we internet "geniuses" have no trouble solving problems with solutions twice your stated budget. :-). But, in all seriousness, that's a 1000 watt RMS amplifier and crazy number of speaker in the iP1000. You might be able to compete using a $700 12" 2-way powered speaker on a stick. But, at that point, spend a little extra and you've got a nicely balanced stereo (dual mono) system with the rest of the gear you have. If you have the outboard mixer gear settled, it's hard to beat those TurboSound arrays for that use. Remember to dial back the DSP in the built in mixer. It can sound artificial with too much spatial effect.

Cheers

This is the mixer we have, which isn't great, but it seems to get the job done. Personally, I don't love a lot of reverb anyway, especially on my vocal.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...FYqFfgodrt4ACA
Old 05-02-2017, 08:04 PM

Quote:
This is the mixer we have, which isn't great, but it seems to get the job done. Personally, I don't love a lot of reverb anyway, especially on my vocal.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...FYqFfgodrt4ACA

That's fine. It's a basic unit. There are a number of models with features you won't use. So, if you like the sound you're getting, no need to change it. The DSP I was referring to in on the actual speaker control panel. You'll want to dial some of that back.

Good luck!

Edit: one error in my plan is that you won't have ANY reverb. Your mixer does not have a Reverb feature. You were getting Reverb from the SA220.

There are several 4 XLR input mixers with Reverb for less than $200. I'm sorry if I led you astray with that.

BTW, if your SA220 is in good condition, you should be able to get $500 plus for it on the used market.

Last edited by martingitdave; 05-02-2017 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:08 PM

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-02-2017, 08:11 PM

You're welcome. See my edit above.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:20 PM

Also, my edit: This is the mixer we use. It has 99 effects, from crazy reverb to ambiance.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Behringer/Xenyx-1202FX-Unpowered-Mixer-113115791.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=CI2I7Z zU0tMCFZBefgodfCsHTA&kwid=productads-adid^66736785762-device^c-plaid^179234848842-sku^113115791@ADL4GC-adType^PLA
Old 05-02-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Also, my edit: This is the mixer we use. It has 99 effects, from crazy reverb to ambiance.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Behringer/Xenyx-1202FX-Unpowered-Mixer-113115791.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=CI2I7Z zU0tMCFZBefgodfCsHTA&kwid=productads-adid^66736785762-device^c-plaid^179234848842-sku^113115791@ADL4GC-adType^PLA

Yay! We're all good! :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2017, 09:09 PM

Carvin PM10A has plenty of power and falls into your stated budget.
Made in America right here in San Diego's North County in Poway, California.
I have several of the passive PM10's and they are efficient, clean output and wide frequency range. Carvin carries all the replacement parts. They sell factory direct

https://carvinaudio.com/collections/...onitor-speaker

They can be used as mains or monitors.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification