The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-01-2017, 10:02 AM

Default Taylor CE Sound

If this topic has been discussed to death then please let me know and I will delete this thread.

I play my Taylor thru an amp (Ultrasound DS4) when I practice and the sound is to my liking. When my guitar is put thru a PA, it sounds like a tele or an electric guitar. I understand that my Taylor has a magnetic pickup system so that would make sense but it seems like putting it thru a PA takes away the acoustic sound even further. Is it the PA system or is this pretty inevitable given the pickup?
Old 05-01-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudals1281 View Post
If this topic has been discussed to death then please let me know and I will delete this thread.

I play my Taylor thru an amp (Ultrasound DS4) when I practice and the sound is to my liking. When my guitar is put thru a PA, it sounds like a tele or an electric guitar. I understand that my Taylor has a magnetic pickup system so that would make sense but it seems like putting it thru a PA takes away the acoustic sound even further. Is it the PA system or is this pretty inevitable given the pickup?
When you play through your amp, you've got all the dials set to where it sounds good. When you plug in to a PA, it's not set the same way. I'm sure you or the person running the soundboard could tweak the knobs so that it sounds good there also.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 05-01-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
When you play through your amp, you've got all the dials set to where it sounds good. When you plug in to a PA, it's not set the same way. I'm sure you or the person running the soundboard could tweak the knobs so that it sounds good there also.
Hmmm...I try from time to time with the bass and treble knobs on my guitar but it still sounds like an electric guitar. But I think you're right because a Martin guitar thru the same PA sounds very acoustic-eee and I think the guitarist and the sound guy spent some time tweaking. Mine guitar reminds me of a tele and I would go even far as a Gibson LP.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Hmmm...I try from time to time with the bass and treble knobs on my guitar but it still sounds like an electric guitar. But I think you're right because a Martin guitar thru the same PA sounds very acoustic-eee and I think the guitarist and the sound guy spent some time tweaking. Mine guitar reminds me of a tele and I would go even far as a Gibson LP.
Are you using Taylor's ES pickup? Are you using a DI box or going straight into a Low-Z input on the PA? I got reasonably "OK" sound with my ES2-equipped Taylor through a DI box into the PA, but it sounds much better going through a TC Helicon Play Acoustic.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstegeman View Post
Are you using Taylor's ES pickup? Are you using a DI box or going straight into a Low-Z input on the PA? I got reasonably "OK" sound with my ES2-equipped Taylor through a DI box into the PA, but it sounds much better going through a TC Helicon Play Acoustic.
ES - Yes
DI Box - Yes
Am I using one that isn't the best with my guitar? Radial JDI.
http://www.radialeng.com/jdi.php

I never bothered to try this setup. Oh man, I cannot wait.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:20 PM

Default Taylor CE Sound

JDI is one of the best passive DIs on the market and should do a great job with your guitar. However I guess you have the original ES and the electric character is almost impossible to get rid of - which is why I upgraded my 414 to ES2. I am very happy with it, it sounds very natural both live and recorded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 05-02-2017, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
JDI is one of the best passive DIs on the market and should do a great job with your guitar. However I guess you have the original ES and the electric character is almost impossible to get rid of - which is why I upgraded my 414 to ES2. I am very happy with it, it sounds very natural both live and recorded.

Good to know people here know about JDI. The sound guys at my venue don't have a clue and just switch out my DI box with Behringer ULTRA-DI DI100 Direct Box ($40). I quietly switch them back.

I looked into ES2 and it seems like there are mixed reviews. If the overwhelming majority had said, "This is the thing and they have gotten it right" then I would have pulled the trigger. But I still searching for a good pickup.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Good to know people here know about JDI. The sound guys at my venue don't have a clue and just switch out my DI box with Behringer ULTRA-DI DI100 Direct Box ($40). I quietly switch them back.

I looked into ES2 and it seems like there are mixed reviews. If the overwhelming majority had said, "This is the thing and they have gotten it right" then I would have pulled the trigger. But I still searching for a good pickup.
Any chance you can pop into a shop with your guitar and try out a TC Helicon Play Acoustic (if you sing) or BodyRez (if you don't sing) pedal to see if it makes a difference?
Old 05-02-2017, 07:07 AM

What version of the ES1 do you have - 9volt or 2xAA batteries?
Which Taylor model do you have?
I have a 310ce with ES1.3 and it certainly has never sounded like an electric guitar when plugged into a PA system - and I have plugged into countless different systems. Yes, some systems definitely accent the piezo-type "quack", but if it sounded like my Tele, I'd be scratching my head!

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 05-02-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:

I got to play a couple of Taylors with the ES2 at Musikmesse 2015 and it encouraged me to upgrade my guitar. I'd already upgraded from 1.1 to 1.3 but was never really happy - acoustic enough with open chords etc but too electric like further up the neck. I've written about this before but I think the problem was partly the location of the mag pup and partly the lack of control over the body sensor (no means of increasing the sensor in the blend).

The ES2 is totally different. To my ears it sounds like an acoustic guitar. In Frankfurt I was listening in headphones, and since my upgrade I have listened to it live and afterwards on recordings and it sounds very natural indeed.

I would seriously recommend you try to hear a guitar with the ES2, I think you'll be impressed.

As for swapping out a JDI for a Behringer DI, that's just crazy. The Taylor is a pickup with a preamp so a very linear passive DI like the JDI is going to be way better than the Behringer.

Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 05-02-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
...As for swapping out a JDI for a Behringer DI, that's just crazy. The Taylor is a pickup with a preamp so a very linear passive DI like the JDI is going to be way better than the Behringer.
Pieterh, in the past you've given me (and others) some good advice, and you and I have also agreed on quite a few things. I'm wondering, I've got a JDI, but I'm wondering if the OP might be served well tonally by swapping out his JDI with a PZ Deluxe or PZ-Pre, or some other high quality Preamp/DI?
Old 05-02-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailpicker View Post
Pieterh, in the past you've given me (and others) some good advice, and you and I have also agreed on quite a few things. I'm wondering, I've got a JDI, but I'm wondering if the OP might be served well tonally by swapping out his JDI with a PZ Deluxe or PZ-Pre, or some other high quality Preamp/DI?

Thanks for the mention!

I have a Pz-pre and tried for a couple of years to get it to tame the ES1. We shouldn't however mix up the function of DI and pre-amp, even if a pre like the Pz-pre has a balanced output (thus doing the job of a DI).

Radial do a DI especially for acoustic instruments (Pz-DI) which offers three impedances depending on what kind of pickup is connected. It also has a variable low cut and a fixed high cut and we really like them when mixing - but we also have powerful eq on our front of house boards. So it might do the job - but is at least half the price of the ES upgrade and personally I feel the newer ES is a much more natural pickup to begin with. I use my Taylor at some rehearsals without my Pz-pre as I really like the natural sound. I'm not saying it is perfect but it is very good. Imho - and in my experience is that the original ES is going to sound magnetic to a greater or lesser degree, a good preamp will help but won't "cure" the issue.

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 05-03-2017, 08:46 AM

All the recommendation to upgrade to ES2 now got me interested.
I will search this forum and YouTube for the sound difference
https://youtu.be/K3xYGxjcUQo
My first impression is that the ES1 sounds better TO MY EARS.
The ES2 sounds muddy TO MY EARS.

Last edited by Rudals; 05-03-2017 at 09:00 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification