The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-24-2017, 06:43 AM

Default Dual Source Board: K&K + Mag (Black Angel)

Hi,

I've been messing around with dual sources for 3-4 years, and I always just used my 2 channel amp to mix the two signals. But recently I started to put a board together and am pretty happy with the results... both of the board, and of the pickup combination.

First, the pickups. The K&K is well known and appreciated for what it does. I've tried a lot of pickups with it (Anthem, Lyric, mic), but a magnetic works best for me. The mag adds the high end cut and string articulation that the K&K lacks; and I also add a little bass too. They are both passive - which means no batteries or power sources, but requires a preamp or buffer.

Now for the board:

Tip: Black Angel > TurboTuner > GE-7 > LS-2 > RV-6
Ring: K&K > ParaEQ > Session > LS-2 > RV-6

The LS-2 is the mixer and has a couple different modes that could work. The Session and TurboTuner both can mute each input selectively during setup time, while the LS-2 acts as a master mute.

It's important to note that K&K likes a 1 Mohm input impedance, and the ParaEQ, GE-7 and LS-2 all have that. But the Session is 10 Mohm, so it works best not to go directly into that else it makes it even more muddy in the low end. GE-7 adds some a 100, 3.2k and 6.4k for the mag, while the ParaEQ removes some midrange between 400-800 Hz for the K&K.

I use the Session mainly for the CompEQ and it's nice to have the notch filter on it too. I tried the Session after the LS-2, but I don't like as much compression on the mag as I do the K&K. I think this allows me to get more aggressive with it. Seems like when I play soft or fingerpick the K&K is dominant, whereas when I strum loud or pick hard, the mag comes out more. I could be wrong, I'm still learning about this dynamic.

'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 04-25-2017, 04:39 PM

Interesting set up.
I also use k&k plus a mag(M1 passive). I like the combination for the same reasons. The mag gives some nice cut and articulation. Also I'll throw on a bit of dirt(OCD) once in a while and the mag handles that really well.
My board is a little different though as it goes into a k&k stereo pre to blend the pickups first. Then it's a polytune, MXR phase 90, Fulltone OCD, Strymon ElCapistan(tape delay) and out to a Red Eye. Oh also I have my Beatbuddy on my board as well.

I played electric for many years in bands and switched over to acoustic in the last year or so.
So I'm used to having a few good pedals at my feet. All are used sparingly for a little colour. I like to use a little overdrive and delay for soloing in a 2 guitar set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny.guitar View Post
Interesting set up.
I also use k&k plus a mag(M1 passive). I like the combination for the same reasons. The mag gives some nice cut and articulation. Also I'll throw on a bit of dirt(OCD) once in a while and the mag handles that really well.
My board is a little different though as it goes into a k&k stereo pre to blend the pickups first. Then it's a polytune, MXR phase 90, Fulltone OCD, Strymon ElCapistan(tape delay) and out to a Red Eye. Oh also I have my Beatbuddy on my board as well.

I played electric for many years in bands and switched over to acoustic in the last year or so.
So I'm used to having a few good pedals at my feet. All are used sparingly for a little colour. I like to use a little overdrive and delay for soloing in a 2 guitar set up.
That's cool. I play electric too, so I've messed around with using some drive on the sound hole mag - there's definitely potential there for the future. Here's a picture of my electric board.
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification