The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-11-2016, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberkowitz View Post
The Pendulum SPS-1 is a great unit, and has three band fully parametric EQ, two effects loops as well as the blend features. What it doesn't have is the impedance matching, the boost, the notch filter and the small form factor. My guess is that the Grace mic pre's are better.
As to the notch filter, the low band parametric controls on a SPS-1 can be used as a notch filter. The Q for that band is much higher than the other two parametric bands and will generate a very narrow bell curve if desired.
Old 09-11-2016, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
As to the notch filter, the low band parametric controls on a SPS-1 can be used as a notch filter. The Q for that band is much higher than the other two parametric bands and will generate a very narrow bell curve if desired.
Yes, but the Felix has both a switchable notch or high pass filter, and a low band control.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberkowitz View Post
Yes, but the Felix has both a switchable notch or high pass filter, and a low band control.
Yes it does. The Felix has some features the Pendulum doesn't and the Pendulum has some features the Felix doesn't. The two feature sets overlap quite a bit, but are not identical.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
If the PA systems you play through are generally of high quality, the sonic differences between the Solstice and Felix are more likely to be evident. On the other hand, if you usually play through cheesy PA systems, those differences will likely be lost.
Dont play through Cheesy ones. They usually are house systems of Churches.

The one i play through AT Home is lower Budget though (LD Systems Dave). But as i said before i mainly Use headphones in this case anyway.

In process of construction:
0-12 (own build)

Last edited by Schau_ins_Regal; 09-11-2016 at 06:44 PM.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schau_ins_Regal View Post
Dont play through Cheesy ones. They usually are house systems of Churches.

The one i play through AT Home is lower Budget though (LD Systems Dave). But as i said before i mainly Use headphones in this case anyway.
That's good re the PA.

As to the headphones, the Solstice doesn't have a headphone amp so you'd have to add one and likely have to configure a custom cable to make sure the mono output from the Solstice plays in both channels of the typical stereo headphone amp.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:15 PM

Quote:

As to the headphones, the Solstice doesn't have a headphone amp so you'd have to add one and likely have to configure a custom cable to make sure the mono output from the Solstice plays in both channels of the typical stereo headphone amp.
Thats Not an issue. My Pedal board is Designed to Do Personal monitoring anyway.

0-12 (own build)
Old 09-13-2016, 06:54 PM

Just found a deal on a Grace Felix in black and ordered it. This will make a very nice fit to my pedal board which is also black and has only black devices.

Unfortunately I have to wait some months to use it cause I am currently in China.

0-12 (own build)
Old 09-14-2016, 02:08 AM

- I've never seen anything but MSRP for the Felix so good for you getting a deal

- Mine is black and sort of disappears on the pedal board. In a good way.

- Would I rather have an equivalent SPS-1 rig? I guess. Costs a whole lot more. Don't think it would be change what the listener hears unless I acquired the amps and speakers in the same league. Also, even if you can afford pro gear, since for me this is a hobby and not a profession, when does it start to get silly?

Think you're really going to like the Felix.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:30 PM

I just bought a used Felix, still in a bit of shock at spending $800+ for a pedal. But it will replace 4 others (2 EQ, 1 preamp, 1 mixer), simplify my rig and give me way more functionality than I had before.

A lot of talk about pro vs hobby/bedroom players. I guess I'm somewhere in between. Definitely not PRO, but more than a hobby as I play frequently at church. And I suppose my other hobby (besides playing guitar) is pedals, electronics and tone. So this one makes sense in that regard. For someone like myself who has been exploring dual source pickups now for 3-4 years, the Felix really is the crème de la crème of preamps. It's the ONLY thing on the market with dual parametric EQ, mixing and footswitches.
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 04-28-2017, 10:03 AM

Well I have used both. The solstice for me was never quite there.
I think it had to do with the impedance match .k&k into the solstice just
Didnt sound good to my ear..the Felix has switchable impedance
So depending on which pup you plug into it you can match the impedance.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification