The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-10-2015, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Don;

Another SF Deluxe Reverb guy here; mine is an early 70's... bought it off Evil Bay (my one and only purchase thus far!). I was amazed that it came to me with what look like ALL the original tubes, RCA black plates... and it has the original speaker.

One point has been made that I would like to stress more strongly:

PLAY the amp enough to break-in that speaker BEFORE you sink a lot of dough into a new one!!! Takes a good number of "decent volume hours" to actually get a new one to sound the way it should.

DR's are terrific amps though... check out guitarist G.E. Smith's method of "tone adjustment: dime the volume (on 10), dime the BASS and turn the Treble to ZERO... you get a very recognizable overdriven tone that really sounds great... I just use the volume on my guitar to control how loud it is... first thing I thought when I first tried this out, was "Hey! That sounds like Ry Cooder or David Lindley's tone!"
Thanks for that...good advice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars