The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-26-2012, 02:21 PM

Question Suggestions For Beginner Ukulele Books/Instruction?

Every time we go to the music shop my wife picks up a ukulele, strums it, and talks about how cool it would be to play one.

I bought her a fairly inexpensive Lanikai tenor as a surprise. I picked up a Mel Bay book there but after looking through it it doesn't seem to be too great. It does have a lot of songs though. Anyone have a suggestion for a better book?

Maybe along with the book, web sites, and YouTube she will pick it up. She plays a little piano but has never played a stringed instrument.

BTW, do most people strum with their thumb or use a felt pick?
Old 03-26-2012, 02:52 PM

I too gifted a Uke awhile back. In my case I included a little chord sheet that covered basic chords and sent them to ukulelesongs.com and http://ukulelehunt.com/tag/Easy/?which=Chords for starter music.

Most of what I have seen is finger strumming, followed by thumb. I've never seen a pick (felt or otherwise) used though I'm sure that's more a sign of my sheltered upbringing than anything else.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by him View Post
I too gifted a Uke awhile back. In my case I included a little chord sheet that covered basic chords and sent them to ukulelesongs.com and http://ukulelehunt.com/tag/Easy/?which=Chords for starter music.

Most of what I have seen is finger strumming, followed by thumb. I've never seen a pick (felt or otherwise) used though I'm sure that's more a sign of my sheltered upbringing than anything else.
Thank you. I saw that Web site. Looks pretty interesting and they also have eBooks.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:08 PM

You TUbe - check out Ukulele Mike, also ukuleleunderground.com is a good forum for info.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorplayer516 View Post
You TUbe - check out Ukulele Mike, also ukuleleunderground.com is a good forum for info.
Ran into Mike while search YouTube today. Looks like some good instruction. Will check out the underground.

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2012, 10:56 AM

Any suggestions for a forum specializing in Ukes?
Old 03-29-2012, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

I'll second the ukulele underground (ukuleleunderground.com), its a great forum with great information on anything uke, but their beginner section is great for newbies.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorplayer516 View Post
Sorry I didn't see the part about the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticjazz View Post
I'll second the ukulele underground (ukuleleunderground.com), its a great forum with great information on anything uke, but their beginner section is great for newbies.
Checked this forum out and it looks like there are a lot of people there. I'll have her sign up.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments