The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-20-2012, 12:27 PM

Default How much work would this need?

Hey guys I've been looking at parlor guitars and on ebay I found a vintage regal parlor guitar it says it needs some body reinforcement and the neck is pulling away from the body some, but the bid is at 50 dollars right now with no bidders, and 7 hours left.. Here is the link tell me if you think this guitar will be too much of a pain to fix up to be a nice vintage guitar. Thanks guys

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Rega...#ht_500wt_1218
Old 02-20-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreDildy View Post
Hey guys I've been looking at parlor guitars and on ebay I found a vintage regal parlor guitar it says it needs some body reinforcement and the neck is pulling away from the body some, but the bid is at 50 dollars right now with no bidders, and 7 hours left.. Here is the link tell me if you think this guitar will be too much of a pain to fix up to be a nice vintage guitar.
It's not going to be easy. You will need to steam the neck off at the very least, and it also appears to be broken around the neck block inside the guitar. I would get it only as a way to learn about fixing guitars.

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor (by Harv L), Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:51 PM

Looks like it needs a neck reset and a new bridge or a bridge Reglue, probably some fretwork too. Are the bridge and fretboard "ebonized" maple?

Personally, I would pass on this one. But it could be a fun DIY project for the right hobbiest.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:23 PM

Thanks guys! decided not to go with this one, bid on a old VOSS parlor, hope no one else does so i can snatch it up for under 30. No damage issues, just needs new strings. Has beautiful checking on it
Old 02-20-2012, 04:54 PM

The Regal is a bottom of the line Harmony. It would be junk if it needed no repair.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair