The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-16-2012, 02:31 AM

Default Acoustic Guitar Nuts - Which One

The plastic nut on my trusty Takamine is wearing away so I think it it time for a replacement. What should I replace it with? a brass one or a bone one or just keep plastic. Will the different types of nut change the tone? Has anyone out there had any experience of nut changing?
Old 02-16-2012, 06:40 AM

Bone nuts are great. Brass would also be a good choice. Either way, you should consider paying a shop to do the work. That is, unless you don't mind buying some tools and you actually want the experience of making a nut.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:14 AM

My own personal experience and sense from others is you get very little change in tone from the nut. Where you get the most noticeable change is from the saddle. Far less so from a nut upgrade and even further less so from a change in bridge pins.

If you are looking for a new look, also consider the “vintage” dyed bone nuts that Bob Colosi sells over at Custom Guitar Saddles. I just ordered a set of nut, saddle, and bridge pins to spruce up my Taylor Big Baby.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-ROCK View Post
The plastic nut on my trusty Takamine is wearing away so I think it it time for a replacement. What should I replace it with? a brass one or a bone one or just keep plastic. Will the different types of nut change the tone? Has anyone out there had any experience of nut changing?
Stewart MacDonald now has pre-slotted bone nuts. I think the Martin style will fit your Tak.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:20 PM

Once you stop and think about it carefully. The only time the nut makes any difference is on an open string, after you fret the nut is out of the equation...

Mikey

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair