The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-15-2012, 12:17 PM

Default Yamaha - higher end dovetails

I've seen pictures/videos of an early 70's Yamaha FG-500 (red label) that had it's neck steamed out of the dovetail without any unusual efforts (which suggests a glue other than epoxy). I have an early 70's FG-360 that needs a neck reset (sentimental guitar that is in pristine condition as well), and I'm curious if the experts think that since both were built by small teams at the same place in Japan, perhaps the 360 dovetails were glued similarly. Except for the maple binding, fancy rosette and solid top, the guitars are remarkably similar. Otherwise I'll be obtaining a thin Japanese kerf saw and some 1/4-20 hanger bolts.

Last edited by kjcole; 02-15-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:44 PM

I wouldn't try to guess who built it or how. I would try to steam the neck off, and if that didn't work, then consider the saw.

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 02-15-2012, 04:48 PM

Yes, that's my plan. Just fishing for some encouragement that the neck will steam out before the heel block!
Old 02-15-2012, 05:36 PM

If you do the bolt-on conversion, I would suggest that you use the threaded inserts sold by lmi. Use a "back spotface" to countersink the neck block if necessary (available through machine shop catalogs).
Old 02-16-2012, 11:50 AM

Nate, thanks for your information on converting to bolt-on. I didn't know if anyone made a back-sided kind of Forstner bit (ala Frank Ford's home-made bit) for countersinking. Now I know what it is called. Ditto on using the threaded inserts rather than just a lag bolt.

Really, is there any reason why I shouldn't bypass the attempt at steaming out the neck and convert to bolt-on? Resale isn't an issue - functionality is.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:20 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Stuff out of Japan Custom shop I would not be blown away if they were hide glue. Also, epoxy will let go. Its just a contest with the wood to see who gives first. Then there is always the saw. To me thats a bummer I could never bring myself to. I sold a FG180 project over the epoxy quandary.
By all means steam away. Please post the results. PICTURES
Old 02-16-2012, 05:21 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcole View Post
Yes, that's my plan. Just fishing for some encouragement that the neck will steam out before the heel block!
Anything that comes apart can go back together. Hee.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair