The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 12-06-2011, 09:03 AM

I've owned one of the "rogue" resonators from Musician's Friend for a couple of months now. 300 bucks with one of their 15% off deals.

Impressive. Nicely put together, pretty "bell brass" body, packaged and set up quite well. Sounds like a...Resonator guitar.
Only downside is that it's quite heavy...
A good deal for someone looking for a resonator without breaking the bank.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckle View Post
First off, stay away from Gold Tone and the rest of the imports. They are not good. The only import I would consider is Hot Rod guitars.

From Lenny @ nationalguitar.com

not www.nationalguitars.com but
www.nationalguitar.com

imports, professionally setup by one of the best guys in the industry, no lie.

Talk to Lenny. For $700 you can have an awesome resonator and also trade in at full price towards a National Resonator should you come across some extra cash in the future. Do not buy a Republic either. Absolute rubbish.

PM me if you need more info. I've been playing resonators for quite a while.

Love the signature, although I prefer Maytag. However, I believe that you are absolutely correct about the Hot Rods as I have been looking for some time and feel that these are a great bargain for the price, not to mention the trade in value later.

Last edited by mattdaddy; 03-09-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lash View Post
How does Gibson's Dobro brand rate?

What's the difference between single- and tri-cones?
Go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQwLN...eature=related Good comparison of single and tricone. Although spider cone Dobro style is different yet.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbat View Post
I came to the conclusion that these guitars are mainly mechanics. Much more than wood guitars (resos can be took apart quite easily, contrary of wooden guitars)
And for 80% of the construction you are correct. It's the last 20 where many imports fail. Neck fit and setup. Carving the neck heel so it sits flush with a good neck angle is absolutely critical. National for instance spends as much time on that as a chinese factory probably spends from raw materials to finished guitars.

National does it old school. So old it's actually called Old School not Old skool. Here's a vid on neck attachment. The whole series is fascinating and makes you realize why Nationals cost what they do. Actually you may wonder why they aren't more expensive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl-Y7ltAnC0
Old 03-06-2012, 01:08 PM

I have a Paul Beard PBR that I love. In fact I have pretty much put down or sold all my high end guitars and this is my go to. I have wired it with a Lace Sensor p/u and with a JJB with sensors attached to the cone. Gritty to smooth. It has a great neck, solid build, clean,clean,clean inside, decent finish and sounds great. (also replaced tuning machines with Grover Sta-tites).
Not sure why "Lenny" has such a hard on against these unless he is talking metal bodies.
I have been in sales for 35 plus years and the first lesson of a good salesman is not to sell your product based on how bad your competitions product is, at least in your opinion. Sell YOUR product on the attributes of YOUR product. Sales will come with trust. Haven't we learned anything from our politicians???
Old 03-06-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizirk View Post
Not sure why "Lenny" has such a hard on against these unless he is talking metal bodies.
Lenny is very smooth. He will tell you all day why he thinks his stuff is the best, but I've never heard him trash a specific company, especially Beard, who he doesn't compete with. His main market is National style guitars, and he still sells Nationals. In fact he takes trades of his own guitars for full value, and what do you think folks trade up to?

If you want to post what he said I'd appreciate seeing, but I'll be shocked if he goes off on anyone. He's kind of freak. But not that kind of guy in general.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Lenny is very smooth. He will tell you all day why he thinks his stuff is the best, but I've never heard him trash a specific company, especially Beard, who he doesn't compete with. His main market is National style guitars, and he still sells Nationals. In fact he takes trades of his own guitars for full value, and what do you think folks trade up to?

If you want to post what he said I'd appreciate seeing, but I'll be shocked if he goes off on anyone. He's kind of freak. But not that kind of guy in general.
I think he was referring to Knuckle's post, and I'm with Blue on his take of Lenny, he's a good honest seller who knows his market and his product.

I wanna know what kind did Matt get? I don't see anything up yet on his youtube.

This is a blast from the past!
Old 03-06-2012, 07:47 PM

+1 on HotRods and Lenny - I have a tricone hotrod lapsteel from him which I enjoy immensely.
I wouldn't neccessarily write off the Republics - I played a great little Republic resolian the other day, and others I've tried were pretty good, too. However I also came across a Republic duolian that was an absolute dog, so definitely tread with caution. Regal's can be good, too. With the "cheaper" brands, definitely try before you buy, if you can.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:08 PM

It is an old thread, though on the Republics and other less expensive resonators, there's a lot to be said in replacing the cone with a National cone, and getting a good set-up ala jpbat, in his hands those things sound like a million.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post

There is not a thing wrong with believing your product is the best. I don't know him, but have no reason to question his knowledge of his product. For all I know he is the best. But to tell somebody not to buy something, to buy "my product" is NOT good salesmanship. Sell your product, don't slam the competition. Selling "your product" is how you gain respect. With respect will come sales.
I think it is quite obvious that different people have different opinions on guitars. Some like Taylors, some Gibsons or Martins. There is a huge group that even hates Taylors. Do you ever hear Bob Taylor telling people not to buy Gibsons or Santa Cruz? He doesn't have to, his product sells itself.
If indeed that is what Lenny said, I wouldn't buy a National from him if he sold it for $50 ! I guess the question is , did he really say that?....
Old 03-07-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
If indeed that is what Lenny said, I wouldn't buy a National from him if he sold it for $50 ! I guess the question is , did he really say that?....
Really? I totally would. I'd ask for a baker's dozen... I bet you would too
Old 03-07-2012, 01:56 PM

If you read the posts, I don't think it was said that Lenny trashed anyone - rather, it was knuckle giving his opinion (as is his right, as a consumer), and his next statement being, get a Hot Rod, from Lenny.
I've visited him in person a couple of times, and had email exchanges, and yes, he talks up his guitars (of course) but I've NEVER heard him say anything bad about other guitars. Sorry to clog up the thread but I just wanted to get that off my chest. End of rant.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
There is not a thing wrong with believing your product is the best. I don't know him, but have no reason to question his knowledge of his product. For all I know he is the best. But to tell somebody not to buy something, to buy "my product" is NOT good salesmanship. Sell your product, don't slam the competition. Selling "your product" is how you gain respect. With respect will come sales.
I think it is quite obvious that different people have different opinions on guitars. Some like Taylors, some Gibsons or Martins. There is a huge group that even hates Taylors. Do you ever hear Bob Taylor telling people not to buy Gibsons or Santa Cruz? He doesn't have to, his product sells itself.
Dude, read my post above, it was Knuckle, not Lenny that said that. This reminds me of a Rosanne Rosannadana skit on the old SNL. RIP Gilda.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
Dude, read my post above, it was Knuckle, not Lenny that said that. This reminds me of a Rosanne Rosannadana skit on the old SNL. RIP Gilda.
I am not sure where I said YOU said the quote...Dude....

done...
Old 03-07-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I am not sure where I said YOU said the quote...Dude....

done...

yeah Neal! Stop beating up on those other resonator makers! As if Lenny isn't mean enough

PS Bizirk I think you're looking for the words "never mind"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments