The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 07:04 PM

Arrow **SOLD** 2008 R. Taylor Style 2 Bearclaw Spruce / EIR acoustic guitar *Beautiful*

SOLD: Beautiful R Taylor Style 2 acoustic guitar, Bearclaw Spruce/East Indian Rosewood, with awesome upgrades (black tuner buttons, green abalone rosette, white/abalone bridge pins, abalone 4 mm fretboard dots, post-added Taylor ES 1.3 electronics). Master-grade rosewood is clean and majestic; premium bearclaw Sitka topwood give this a very classy look. Original owner (respected AGF'er) purchased it from Taylor in El Cajon directly; I’m only the second owner. Love this guitar, but about to chase down an expensive 00 so need to sell. Great opportunity to acquire a clean, well cared for R Taylor Style 2 with factory-installed Taylor active pickup at a fabulous price.

Tone is superb, and has a big, very full sound. Surprisingly loud, full and warm, crystal clear and has a lot of bass. Well balanced across the strings. Was Tone-Rited for a total of two months, and except for two gigs, was kept throughout its life in a humidified case in climate-controlled music rooms.

The neck is a slim-carve, tropical mahogany neck, extremely comfortable. Spec's are standard Style 2: 1 3/4" nut, 24.9" scale length, 2.25" string spacing at bridge, 15 inch lower bout width, 4.25" deep at end pin, ebony fingerboard and binding, 4 mm abalone fretboard dot markers, and ultra smooth and precise brushed gold Gotoh 510 tuners. 2010 generation ES 1.3 electronics added at Taylor factory in by Tim Luranc (in charge of RTaylor line at the time), works perfectly and sounds fantastic. Fans claim the ES 1.3 sounds more like a good microphone than the ES2...I tend to agree!

Condition is outstanding - no dings/chips/cracks anywhere. There are slight swirls from being carefully played, but requires a keen eye, good light and patience to see. The only defect of note (that I only noticed when taking photos) is the ebony binding has a slight separation in the middle area at the guitar bottom – can see it in the photo below. Other than that – almost no sign of use, and very little fret wear. Action is currently 3/32 and 2/32 over E strings (Taylor’s recommended level), set up by Tim Luranc and plays wonderfully.

The original gold tuner buttons and black bridge pins are included if you prefer them vs the upgraded ones. Includes original very good-condition R Taylor Ameritage case (all latches work perfectly, complete with keys), has two small marks on the top (shown in photo below). Guitar comes with all original paperwork.

This lovely guitar is available for only $SOLD, includes fully insured, cleanly and solidly packed ground shipping (US only) with signature verification. Payment by check preferred; if you'd prefer paypal I'll split the fee with you. No trades at this time. Can email more photos, and happy to take new ones if you want specific looks or info. I've bought/traded/sold over three dozen guitars on AGF, and will gladly provide references. Thanks for looking!

Last edited by Carmel Cedar; 05-19-2018 at 04:31 PM. Reason: SOLD
Old 05-05-2018, 01:12 AM
Charter Member

Blown away how nice those woods are....!!! GLWS
Old 05-05-2018, 02:48 AM
Charter Member

Smile She used to be mine...

Andy, you may regret this! But we can not keep them all...

Yes this one was mine and I custom ordered it with the RT SLIM CARVE neck. Which is very much like a 90s Taylor neck.

In 2000 Taylor's standard necks got a bit thicker when they switched to the NT neck. Excellent for small hands, especially with the short scale.

The fingerboard has small 4mm ab dots which was a rare option. The factory option card is in the case.

The Bearclaw figure in the Sitka top is even more pronounced in real life! Sounds spectacular, too.

Even Taylor literature says the ES 1.3 is the closest to a good condenser mic in tone. It is not as hot of a signal as the ES2 tho, so a good boost or pre can help if going to an amp with not much preamp gain. To my ears the ES 1.3 likes a red eye or something similar, but a preamp is not usually needed.

Looks like the binding has separated a hair at the butt. But not cracks, I wager.

I was sorely tempted to buy this one back, but my incoming John Kinnaird custom will need the moolah.

Any questions you can PM me if you like. This is very very close to a new RT2!
And Andy is a wonderful seller and a stand up guy for sure! Buy this with confidence and prepare for serious comfort and big sound too.

Cheers

Paul

PS Bob Taylor put Tim Luranc in charge for the entire 6 years and 1,200 guitars RTs were built! The TLC setup is Killer.
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

Last edited by Guitars44me; 05-05-2018 at 02:57 AM.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:16 PM

Thanks Dave and Paul!

Just for fun, a close-up of the signature on the case... Wish my handwriting were this good!

Old 05-19-2018, 04:32 PM

Sold. Thanks AGF!
Old 05-19-2018, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Smile Off she goes...

Adios amigo!

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!