The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-27-2017, 10:07 AM

Default Need reversible electronics for my non-es equipped Taylor 812.

I have a 2013 812 with no electronics. I'm about to start gigging with it though. Half solo stuff, half with a percussionist. No full band work. I need to get something installed that I can potentially undo if I need to resell. I really don't feel like shelling out $300 for a Taylor ES2 install. Would rather buy something I can install, then sell later down the road when I stop gigging.

I've looked at the Baggs Lyric, but have heard it's more suited for full band work with the lack of heavy bass response. What is out there for what I need?

Thanks
Old 04-27-2017, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

The K&K PW Mini is fairly inexpensive (~130 installed?) and can be "reversed" by removing the thin discs that mount to the bridgeplate inside the guitar... I have noticed absolutely ZERO effect on the unplugged tone of the guitar, as well - another bonus, and one which you did not list on your "priorities"... plus, no alteration is necessary in the saddle of the guitar, as the K&K does not impact setup whatsoever.

I have the Anthem SL in both my Angus 6 and 12 string guitars, yet I found that they shift/change the tone and volume of the guitar's natural sound... also, you'll have to have the saddle altered to keep your action where it currently resides... if I was not pleased with the amplified tone of the Anthem, I would have pulled them out in the first month of ownership... this is MY experience with that pickup system, and I have read remarks from others saying that the Anthem did not impact their unplugged sound...

The K&K "may" require you to use some sort of preamp with it, but many have found tones that work for them without a preamp... the K&K is a high-impedence unit (sort of like the output from most electric guitar pickups), so, if you have a cable length over about 12', you will lose signal gradually as you extend the length of the cable from there... I use a K&K PURE XLR preamp with my K&K-equipped Goodall.

There are other companies (like JJB) that make something akin to the K&K, but I have no experience with them... another great sounding unit is the Trance Audio Acoustic Lens (mono) version without the internal preamp... but it is more expensive than your budget; however, correctly installed, they may be the best sounding acoustic guitar pickup out there, so there IS that...

Hope this helps get you started down the road to a good pickup option for you.
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 04-27-2017, 12:59 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I bought an 814c new in '02, before the ES, but regardless, I wouldn't have had any permanent (barn door) electronics in it. Initially, I installed a PUTW system myself, but a couple of years ago I had a local tech install a Baggs Anthem SL. I don't plug in all that much, but I like it and imo aftermarket electronics are the way to go. You'll get a lot of opinions about which is best, so you're simply going to have to do your own homework. Baggs and K&K products seem to be well regarded these days.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

+1 on the K&K Mini. I get a pretty good sound without a pre-amp, but running thru my preamp definitely gives me a little more color (tone) control.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:03 PM

If it needs to be fully reversible, your options are soundhole pickups, or SBTs that don't sue superglue. You might consider an under saddle transducer reversible if you were to use a new saddle and leave the old one alone.

Presumably, you're prepared to enlarge the endpin hole for a proper switch-jack.

If you want great sound, and reversibility, and have the budget for it, the Trance Amulet M system is excellent. It uses a special double sided tape for its who transducers, that can be removed. It is expensive, but worth it. In my opinion. This assumes you don't want to use any sophisticated modeling equipment.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

Another +1 for the K&K Pure Western Mini. I put one in my Taylor GC7 and also use one in the Kronbauer SMB which is Wolfram's demo guitar - it sounds superb in both.

As others have mentioned, if budget allows, I would recommend pairing it with a dedicated preamp - I used the K&K Pure XLR which worked brilliantly.

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

Trance Amulet M Dual Mono. It may seem expensive but it comes with an audiophile-grade preamp/end-pin-jack. At $279 to $319, it's actually a bargain when you figure what you're getting for the price.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 04-28-2017, 12:55 PM

Or a Sunrise, which always sounds great.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification