The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-29-2013, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryR View Post
Just for the curious it is the adapter for the lightning (IPAD/IPHONE) back to a 30 pin will not function correctly with the mic...I am sure you are right about the self powered ones...
Hey Barry…
Thanks for the reminder. There are two different power/interface connectors with iOS devices now.

The old 30pin and the new Lightning connector. Forgot for a moment...mine is the older one.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-30-2013, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy64 View Post
Three weeks ago I bought an iTrack Solo, a Shure SM 58 and a micro stand - I already own an iPad. I wanted to record my humble efforts on the guitar. Unfortunately the combination doesn't work together very well. I still not quite sure where the biggest "problem" is, but the level in GarageBand was way to low (doublechecked everything with different devices). As I dont want to "edit" anything, I returned the whole bundle yesterday and now I am thinking about buying a tascam d05.
Probably because the interface is not prepared to accept the low sensitivity of a dynamic mic. There's also the issue of an internal adjustment with the Apple Audio panel. I haven't used Garage Band in a while, but I seem to recall, if you're using the analog input, that you need to tweek that slider.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 06-30-2013, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

...i've been able to get great results using garage band on my ipad with an I-Track and an inexpensive AT 2020...
Old 07-03-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTProfessor View Post
Stet. I'm an idiot! It's the antihistamines.
You can use the Ipad camera connection adaptor for the USB mic. But the Apogee One for ipad has a built in mic that sounds GREAT, needs no adaptor, and charges the iPad in use. I personally like the iPad/auria setup better than the Zoom. I'm not a fan of the little buttons on the portable Zoom recorders (yes I owned a few, and still have my H4 and R16). Until I got Auria I wouldn't say I like the iPad. But my new setup with the Auria and the Apogee One (or my RME Babyface) rocks.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi PTProf...

Recording and editing sound/music on an iPad is possible. Possible doesn't mean convenient, or easy. And I'm saying that compared to recording with a handheld device (such as a Zoom H4n, H2 etc), and editing on a computer.

High-rez recordings take up a lot of space, and once processed have to be moved and then erased to clear up space to record/edit more.

All my iPads have been 64GB; even so I decided early on I'd use other means to do remote recording and process audio, video and photos.

I use a Zoom H4n (love the look of the new H6 too) when I want to do serious remote recordings. I can use the H4n as my capture device (including full 48v phantom on AA batteries) and then transfer it to a proper DAW on a computer to edit later. And it can serve as a computer interface as well.

It has great internal mics, can take 2 XLR external mics, or ¼'' input.

Other than novelty, I have not been able to justify recording serious projects on the iPad. I prefer to use my wife's MacBook Air to edit both photos and music when we are on the road.

Doug Young has done some recordings (one in an airport in his lap while waiting to board), and I believe that was with the Apogee mic.

Larry is right on this one, I used my Ipad, Blue Digital Mic and Garage Band to record a Utube of my Doubleneck, it worked as a sample of that guitar but the Ipad Garage Band seems so limited compared to the version I use on my Apple notebook. I could not even find a way to EQ the recording!
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 07-03-2013, 06:05 PM

Any thoughts on the Blue Spark Digital Microphone vs the Apogee Mic?
Old 07-17-2013, 04:30 PM

Helo PTProfessor,

Is your acoustic guitar electrified? If so, you can try Apogee Jam or IK Multimedia iRig HD, both connect directly to ipad, no adaptor required, and you could connect your electric guitar too.

I have not tried iRig HD (I have iRig, not HD version and it connects to headphones output, and quality is not perfect) but Apogee Jam is awesome! I want to try IRig HD soon.

If you want to record your acoustic guitar with a mic and not use the jack output, I absolutely recommend Apogee Mic, pristine sound and no adaptor usb-to-30pin needed , no souncard needed, very ease of use and high quality!

You can see Blue Spark reviews and Apogee Mic reviews if you search them in Google, listen to demos... and if you try them you will choose Apogee Mic.

When I tried Apogge Mic, Blue Spark, Yeti mic... I sold my 'ipad recording gear', a Tascam iXZ and a Rode NT5 to buy the Apogee.

Unfortunately I needed an acoustic amp and I spent my money in a Yamaha THR5A, an amp that can be used as sound card to record my electrified guitars (not with iPad, I have to use my computer ) But when I had money I will buy the Apogee Mic to record my classical guitars.

I hope it help you!
Old 07-17-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javiswan View Post
Helo PTProfessor,

Is your acoustic guitar electrified? If so, you can try Apogee Jam or IK Multimedia iRig HD, both connect directly to ipad, no adaptor required, and you could connect your electric guitar too.

I have not tried iRig HD (I have iRig, not HD version and it connects to headphones output, and quality is not perfect) but Apogee Jam is awesome! I want to try IRig HD soon.

If you want to record your acoustic guitar with a mic and not use the jack output, I absolutely recommend Apogee Mic, pristine sound and no adaptor usb-to-30pin needed , no souncard needed, very ease of use and high quality!

You can see Blue Spark reviews and Apogee Mic reviews if you search them in Google, listen to demos... and if you try them you will choose Apogee Mic.

When I tried Apogge Mic, Blue Spark, Yeti mic... I sold my 'ipad recording gear', a Tascam iXZ and a Rode NT5 to buy the Apogee.

Unfortunately I needed an acoustic amp and I spent my money in a Yamaha THR5A, an amp that can be used as sound card to record my electrified guitars (not with iPad, I have to use my computer ) But when I had money I will buy the Apogee Mic to record my classical guitars.

I hope it help you!
Thank you. Excellent information!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD